Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

CRX vs Camaro SS need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRX vs Camaro SS need help plz

hey dude i raced a crx with a motor swap a h-22 had no nos but did take the rev limiter off so he could rev it to 9000 rpm i gave him a head start and his **** was light as hell he beat me . he ran 13.2 at the quarter he toook it to the track with a 100 shot and he ran 12.1 so i dont know dude you may need maybe a cam and 100 shot.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and btw i do have more mods then a airbox lid this car is pretty damn fast for what i have. I walk my friend with a 97 SS he has headers, cam, TB, rocker arms, catback and 3.73 gears. i think i will stand a very good chance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like your friend needs to learn to drive imo...

Not really, a 97 has a LT1 rated at 285 hp. A LS1 is underated and really has about 350+ hp with the LS6 intake on the 02 car he has. You're talking around 65 hp or more difference stock to stock. He probably needs the cam, headers, rockers arms, throttle body, etc., just to be on the same playing field as the 02 LS1.

Look at the throttle body on the LT1, it is a dual butterfly, the Ls1 is a single, which is better for flow and area. So he needed the upgrade there to compete with an LS1.

And the Ls1 rocker arms have a higher ratio stock than the Lt1 upgraded rockers. Once again he needed to upgrade to be close, not even.

The Ls1 has eight coils to prevent coil saturation at high rpms and way better heads and exhaust manifolds. I could go on and on about the performance differences, but I'll spare you.

Thy're two different animals, I know, trust me....I traded my modded 97 Z-28 in for a 99 SS and never looked back. Why, beacuse guys with stock LS1s were dynoing more rwhp than me with my modded LT1 and they only had a Borla cat back.

So a cam, bolt-on LT1 doesn't guarantee a victory against a LS1 that is relatively stock.

Dean
Old 07-24-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Well they certainly aren't in your sig. That's all we have to go on unless you tell us. The SLP CAI will give you a tenth, maybe two. Big deal. The MAF gives you nothing. What else do you have that isn't listed?
hehe its all to the right where it says aftermarket :p

But anyway i have 1 more question what if i where to get long tube headers, y-pipe, Cam, with tunning will that do it?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really, a 97 has a LT1 rated at 285 hp. A LS1 is underated and really has about 350+ hp with the LS6 intake on the 02 car he has. You're talking around 65 hp or more difference stock to stock. He probably needs the cam, headers, rockers arms, throttle body, etc., just to be on the same playing field as the 02 LS1.

Look at the throttle body on the LT1, it is a dual butterfly, the Ls1 is a single, which is better for flow and area. So he needed the upgrade there to compete with an LS1.

And the Ls1 rocker arms have a higher ratio stock than the Lt1 upgraded rockers. Once again he needed to upgrade to be close, not even.

The Ls1 has eight coils to prevent coil saturation at high rpms and way better heads and exhaust manifolds. I could go on and on about the performance differences, but I'll spare you.

Thy're two different animals, I know, trust me....I traded my modded 97 Z-28 in for a 99 SS and never looked back. Why, beacuse guys with stock LS1s were dynoing more rwhp than me with my modded LT1 and they only had a Borla cat back.

So a cam, bolt-on LT1 doesn't guarantee a victory against a LS1 that is relatively stock.
Whoa man, really. Calm down. I'm not about to start an argument over LT1 vs LS1, because the LS1 is a better engine, hands down. You know it, I know it, and so do all the other F-Body drivers. I mean, c'mon, you don't have to rub it in. If I had the money for one, I'd be driving one right now. But I don't, sorry. Money doesn't grow on a tree in my backyard. Ya don't have to be a dick about it, I am completely aware how potent the LS1 is.

It was my opinion, however, that an LT1 with the mods it has should be faster than a stock LS1. That's all it is man, an opinion. You got yours, I got mine. The only thing I'm sayin is that ya don't have to be an *** and rub it in.

If that's your point, it doesn't seem very intelligent to me, though. No mod can guarantee a victory over any car. You could drive an LS1 and race a stock Honda Civic at a track. Say you blow your rear and end up in a wall, the Civic wins. Or say you miss every gear, and he wins (it probably would take EVERY GEAR)... See what I'm saying? I'm sure other guys would agree with me there.

Basically, talking about LS1 vs LT1 hits a nerve for me. I know the LS1 is better, but I have an LT1 and can't do anything about it. In fact, I'm pretty damn satisfied with my LT1, but I'd still love an LS1. Are we good? Cool.

PS- this response came while I was drunk. Not bad huh?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hehe its all to the right where it says aftermarket :p

Ya, I saw those and that's what I'm talking about. Those aftermarket mods aren't going to do much at all. You don't have any mods that will add any real power.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Looking at your sig, it does not list an exhaust? so its stock I assume?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

nos cutout et streets his civic probally runs low 12's
Old 07-26-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

not to change the subject, but u said he removed the back seat... CRX's r 2 seaters, they have no back seat, or a back for that matter...
Old 07-26-2003, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Looking at your sig, it does not list an exhaust? so its stock I assume?
Since he has all the SLP options, he probably has the dual/dual exhaust as well. That's a high flowing, high quality system good for roughly 12hp over the stock SS catback.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:14 AM
Teching In

I wouldnt take his car lightly... Sometimes you have to wait and live today so you can fight tomorrow. Im saying you have to wait before you run him and get beat, and mod up a little bit. Nitto drag radials and a nitrous kit would be a good start, 100-150hp and the nittos will grab traction alot sooner. Not to mention its the easiest and fastest way to take care of him and LS1s take really, really well to nitrous..
Old 07-26-2003, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

U should do more then me and I don't race
Old 07-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Administrator

...and LS1s take really, really well to nitrous...
IF it's done right. If not,
Old 07-26-2003, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

http://www.cheesefrog.com/frog/blackhatch_final.wmv here a video of a hatchback with a motor swap, turbo and spray, off the bottle he hangs with a viper, (from a roll) They are quick, and light, but they cant hook up for ****. He lives in houston with me and i raced this car a long time ago before i found it on the web. Back then i had a 93 z28 A4 w 3.23's running 13.60 at the track i'd kill him out of the hole but top end(like 7500) it would pull on me good. Good luck man, curious to see how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

My buddy has a honda civic with a Gsr motor but its not turboed he ran a 13.90..... pretty quick for an import, I dont know what other mods he has but i dont think its turboed, with turbo that car is really quick and with nos... watch out.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I saw a GSR(full weight) with T3/T4 @ 10psi beet a stock A4 2K TA. The GSR had major traction issues and the TA put 2 cars on him right away but was 1 car a behind by the end of the quarter.

I've seen cars like this before... "I've got turbo, I've got NOS, gee I'm so cool"... Then you talk to them and find out they are running 4 psi of boost with a 25 shot...not too impresive on a 1.8L motor.
But if this guy has his $#it together... you mite be bitting off more than you can chew.

Old 07-27-2003, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if this guy has his $#it together... you mite be bitting off more than you can chew.
Very true. I've seen 25+ psi of boost runnin mad 100 shots blow by domestic cars. **** those ga imports. Lol... i'm so drunk right now... as usual, got back form a party and I'm checkin my LS1tech **** before I got ot bed. peace guys.