Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Anyone ever race half throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowmofo
X2

Looks kinda stupid fishtailin all over the dam place while some car puts two lenghts on you. Two young guys in a Cadi the other night gunned it off a light and I tried half 3/4 throttle to keep pace till I could pin it but they were pulling alittle so I mashed it and almost smacked there side.. lol

I gave up..
We've all had that one happen....
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I agree with you two guys. Only reason for not going WOT for me is traction. When traction isn't an issue......its all floor board. Ppl get big enough heads just speeding past you when you're just cruising. I'm not about to give them more false fuel for trashtalk by not giving it all she's got in a race.

I also agree with camar0corey......you can never be sure what the other guy is packing. And giving them an edge can be just enough to get yourself embarrassed in a race you might have otherwise had locked up for a win.

As my pappy once said........1 bullet can be enough to kill...........50 is insurance.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Yea, I agree with you two guys. Only reason for not going WOT for me is traction. When traction isn't an issue......its all floor board. Ppl get big enough heads just speeding past you when you're just cruising. I'm not about to give them more false fuel for trashtalk by not giving it all she's got in a race.

I also agree with camar0corey......you can never be sure what the other guy is packing. And giving them an edge can be just enough to get yourself embarrassed in a race you might have otherwise had locked up for a win.

As my pappy once said........1 bullet can be enough to kill...........50 is insurance.
I've heard that one before...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 325 Likes on 247 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
I like pulling people at WOT, maybe it's just me but my car feels so much faster that way..
True.. but when you can pull them with the Tranny in "Cruise mode" so to speak.. it's kinda fun.

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
ill only 1/2-3/4 throttle it if i think their **** talk will lead to the wallet coming out
Yup.. that one too..
Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
I remember when I was young and would go out to the cruise spot with my dad in his Z28, he would make fun of the crappy cars by racing at half throttle. An example was when a GTP came up revving and the dudes where giving the 'stare'. They where going ***** to the wall and my dad just kept it in 3rd or so at 50% gas. I remember asking "are they racing", and he said "there trying to". LOL

I do this to rice burners sometimes just to make them feel a lil better. Its pretty funny when there all out and I'm just lightly tapping my gas down to keep up.
Haha! Same exact thing here. It's usually against teens driving anything stock or slightly modded...just a play thing to even a stock LS1.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
Yeah I like flowers too.

pedal to the metal
Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Either race ***** out or don't race at all....if someone wants to try me I act as if they're in a Veyron and I have to give everything I got. I don't assume anything since anyone can mod what appears to be a POS car. If I lose, I lose with no excuses. If I win then they get the spanking they deserve. Not a half-*** spanking, a full one.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with everyone that says go all out or don't go at all. Don't let these people think they are hanging with you. They are cocky enough already.

I tried the 5th gear run once on the highway for some litte 4-door. I was surprised when he started pulling away. I didn't know it was an Evo. Oops!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Launching!

In my 470 rwhp Viper I did this accidentally a few times against a mustang / 350Z/ RX8...

It was all on differant days..Basically the car would pull along side of me and rev a time or two and then start driving away...I wanting to talk would pace the guy. Then I looked down and saw I was doing 110 mph and could hear the guys engine screaming and him totally concentrated and it hit me..

HOLY CRAP this guys been racing me the hole time LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

3 differant times that has happenned to me...

You just gotta figure my 470 rwhp SRT10 was a 11 second car and these were all 13-14 second cars..1/2 throttle was good for 13's-14's in that car
Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

i always go 100% so they dont think they are "close" to beating an Ls1, gotta keep those bitches in check with that mind set.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I agree with everyone that says go all out or don't go at all. Don't let these people think they are hanging with you. They are cocky enough already.

I tried the 5th gear run once on the highway for some litte 4-door. I was surprised when he started pulling away. I didn't know it was an Evo. Oops!
try that half throttle **** with me craig and i will toast you
Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fender racing is fun.

When I had my 11 sec TBSS, I would always get guys to race me in their mustangs/camaros/sti's/ricers/anything for some McDonalds, lol. Damn, no wonder I got fat when I had that thing, LOL. I would always keep the races close also.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

i went about 1/2 throttle with a turbo honda accord... they were filming me too... lol.

from a dig 1st and 2nd.. let them think they were keeping up... granny shifted too... then hit 3rd and put maybe 6 cars on them... lol.

if you start off running 16s... don't think adding a turbo will get you into 10s... lol.

oh wait... best part... T-Tops were down!!!!

T-Tops FTMFW!!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

just messing around, Ive raced friends in my 99 cummins just using the cruse control and won lol
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Did the same thing last week. I was driving home from a rather annoying day at work. The light I was approaching turned green and the 1 car that was waiting there floored it. As I was passing it around 50mph in 5th gear I realize the old lady in the alero had the gas floored and was juuuuust starting to overtake my speed. (Still cruising @ 50)

I just leave it in 5th (2000rpm or so) and stab the throttle. It was hilarious, I just put about 4 cars on her, then slowed down. When she eventually passed me to give me a dirty look, she got to see me hysterically laughing at her!

She then weaved through traffic up in front of me. This proves that "Ricer" is a state of mind.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I NEVER do this. I once gave a slow *** car an advantage like that and the he talked all kinds of **** about how he kept up. I learned from that, so from then on it's been 100% crusing or WOT and no inbetweens
I agree. I gave a buddy in high school a chance once and he went and told people my car wasn't all that fast.

I did race a guy once in a big rig who came up next to me revving and laughing. I kept it in 6th the whole time. I was a dumb kid.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was in my friend's 94 LT1 and we came across a particularly ugly Integra with a guy and his girl. The LT1 had 2 burnt plug wires and was running like crap but the guy kept nosing ahead and revving. We went for it and my buddy gave it about 3/4 throttle. The race was even until my friend floored it and we slowly walked away. At the red light the Acura driver said "Man you're car ain't so fast!" my buddy replied "That's because it's only running on 6 cylinders!" We got an "F-you" followed by the middle finger and a chirp out. Priceless!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Usually I floor it as soon as I can, because I don't want them thinking they kept up. It's a lot more convincing too, because my stall makes it seem like I'm trying harder than I am. So I end up getting a lot of stupid things trying to race me that think they're keeping up when they hear me accelerating normally. SUV's, Vans, etc. Almost always something not worth racing. It's all that much more fun when they serve away when I go WOT with cutout open through the LT's and ORY on their side,

One time though, I was taking off from a light, at somwhere between a 1/4 and half throttle, just trying to get up to lockup speed, and there was a 99-02 mustang GT next to me. I didn't think anything of it, except after a little bit, I heard his tires chirp, and his car rock back and forth from the shift, and then I realized he was going all out, lol. And I was still in front of him by a fender. Haha. Luckily, we got stopped at the next light, and I made sure he knew I wasn't trying the first time.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I played around with a 350Z on the interstate coming home from the Pigeon Forge Rod Run this past weekend. He pulled up next to me and floored it a few times so I played a little. The first run I went from 6th to 5th at about 1/2 throttle and walk him, not too bad but enough to pull ahead. We slow down and he wants another run, this time I dropped it to 4th and mat it. Needless to say Object in mirror is losing. I but buslengths on him and slowed back down, he just had to do the hundred and something mile and hour ricer flyby. Most of the time I just go WOT, either I beat them or they beat me. No guessing.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I like pulling people at WOT, maybe it's just me but my car feels so much faster that way..
If you can win the race and save gas, why not ahah