Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

"SuperCharged" Cobra vs. Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not knocking on you mustang guys, we have one that runs in the low 9's (1/8 mi.) with just a catback, but I was just wondering why exactly you guys are on here. We may have a Camaro, Mustang, and Chevelle, but I never talk about one of the other cars on this forum nor do I talk about the Camaro on the Chevelle or Mustangs forums, so I was just wondering why exactly, except maybe to defend your fellow stangs, you are are on here, did you used to own a LSX car or some type of car that is discussed on these forums or what? Like I said, I've got nothing against you guys, I'm just having a little trouble understanding why exactly you are on here if you don't have anything that actually has to do with this forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

nice kill

got a buddy with a Cobra, I believe it's like a 95 or 94? it's a 5.0 Cobra though..
it's stock with just intake and I get him nasty...dig and hwy runs...last time I ran him at
the track *Texas Raceway* he had gotten n2o, he did a couple good runs, 8.4 was his best using 100shot *sorry I can't remember if it was 100 or not but i'm sure it was*
well when we got'em lined up to run'em...the light turns green and I pulled him so hard...the reason is he blew something lol.....

anyway...good kill man.....
if that were a stock Cobra in those years, yeah you would of had him nasty
Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Take a look one post above yours. That light bolt on naturally
aspirated '98 Cobra will *** rape your 13 second cow.
Question Unit... I've driven a 98 Cobra.. it was bone stock... its was pathetically slow only had like 25K miles on it... I've driven my cousin's stock 99 SS except for a corsa catback on his and it would walk that cobra bad.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by NTXCrazyOne
nice kill

got a buddy with a Cobra, I believe it's like a 95 or 94? it's a 5.0 Cobra though..
it's stock with just intake and I get him nasty...dig and hwy runs...last time I ran him at
the track *Texas Raceway* he had gotten n2o, he did a couple good runs, 8.4 was his best using 100shot *sorry I can't remember if it was 100 or not but i'm sure it was*
well when we got'em lined up to run'em...the light turns green and I pulled him so hard...the reason is he blew something lol.....

anyway...good kill man.....
if that were a stock Cobra in those years, yeah you would of had him nasty
94-95 Cobras are considerably slower than the 96-98 models.
Originally Posted by cochran191
I'm not knocking on you mustang guys, we have one that runs in the low 9's (1/8 mi.) with just a catback, but I was just wondering why exactly you guys are on here. We may have a Camaro, Mustang, and Chevelle, but I never talk about one of the other cars on this forum nor do I talk about the Camaro on the Chevelle or Mustangs forums, so I was just wondering why exactly, except maybe to defend your fellow stangs, you are are on here, did you used to own a LSX car or some type of car that is discussed on these forums or what? Like I said, I've got nothing against you guys, I'm just having a little trouble understanding why exactly you are on here if you don't have anything that actually has to do with this forum.
I came here because I was looking for an F-body initially. And I stayed because I think it doesn't matter what you drive, as long as you're a car guy.
Originally Posted by Jon5212
Question Unit... I've driven a 98 Cobra.. it was bone stock... its was pathetically slow only had like 25K miles on it... I've driven my cousin's stock 99 SS except for a corsa catback on his and it would walk that cobra bad.
With stock gearing they are mid-high 13s cars on a good day, but lots of people run low 14s. A set of 4.10s/4.30s turns them into a whole different animal.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Thanks. Gainsville raceway? Damn didn't know you were that close. I'm looking for a trailer and I've always wanted to run on that track.

This is how a bolt-on 96-98 cobra is supposed to be driven/shifted...

1st 11 sec pass..
Way to bang them gears.

Gainesville is actually the only track I've ever been to. From what I hear, in comparison to other tracks on TnT nights, it's pretty decent.

You should come down, maybe we could line them up for ***** and giggles. I know you can beat me now, but next time my car sees track action it's gonna weight a little less.

Take a look one post above yours. That light bolt on naturally
aspirated '98 Cobra will *** rape your 13 second cow.
A 98 Cobra with light bolt ons does 11's?
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I figured his car was stroked or had a bigger engine in it.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Owned an LT1 Formula and LS1 Formula WS6 before my Cobra. Why am I here?

- Interest in performance cars (including LS1's)
- "Defending", as you put it, Cobras (I say educating, but it almost always comes across as defending on a non-Ford site)
- Keep tabs on the "competition" (mods, performance, etc), info on local car events, etc.
- Interact with friends I've made here over the years.

There are alot of very technically knowledgable people here and there's alot a person (any car person) can learn. Let's say I trade my Cobra in on a used C6 Z06....based on what I've learned here, I'll already have a game plan in mind when it comes time to spec out mods, understand potential issues, etc.

Some people want to be oblivious to the automotive world outside their current ride, I don't. My next car purchase may be from that world.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Local-heretic

A 98 Cobra with light bolt ons does 11's?
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I figured his car was stroked or had a bigger engine in it.
As far as I know he has bolt-ons/gears, some weight reduction, and a good suspensiondrivetrain setup.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I had never thought about it like that, but thats why I asked, like I said I don't have a problem with you guys, just never quite understood why mustang only owners are on here, I guess with us owning both (My with my camaro and my fiancee with her GT) we just naturally keep up with each others stuff. As for a light bolt on 96-98 cobra doing 11's, I just don't see it, a forced induction system would possible get them there with a good tune and supporting mods, but not just your basic bolt-ons.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
***Repost Police***

I had never thought about it like that, but thats why I asked, like I said I don't have a problem with you guys, just never quite understood why mustang only owners are on here, I guess with us owning both (My with my camaro and my fiancee with her GT) we just naturally keep up with each others stuff. As for a light bolt on 96-98 cobra doing 11's, I just don't see it, a forced induction system would possible get them there with a good tune and supporting mods, but not just your basic bolt-ons.
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
As far as I know he has bolt-ons/gears, some weight reduction, and a good suspensiondrivetrain setup.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I gotcha, just giving you one man's perspective. Others can add their own reason (if other than mine).

As an FYI about 96-98 Cobras, I have a friend I go racing with alot. We drive to the track, swap tires, empty the trunk and race. He's got a 1997 Cobra with a stock longblock and a budget Turbo setup (some cheapo 70 A/R unit and nice fab work by some friends of his), some weight reduction and a 4R70W auto. He's gone 9.8 @ mid-high 130's (I forget the mph exactly), driving to and from the track with me (about 110 miles R/T) and drove it around a fair amount.

The cars have potential in N/A form (see Bitemark's car, or what Bob Cosby accomplished), but most people find it easier/more streetable to go the forced induction route. It's been proven to work well on the 4V cars.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

I used to own a 01 LS1 (A4) that the wife drove. Just recently sold it (due to newborn). But I frequent the drag racing tech section alot as alot of it is the same for both F-body and mustang. And I'll admit this kill section is probably one of the best on the net. **** talking, very active, good reads, etc.

As far as the car the valve covers have never been taken off. On that pass I posted the intake was stock on that pass. I now have made a custom shortrunner intake for it. Honestly I wouldn't call it a light bolt on but more of a full bolt-on car. I pretty much have all the bolt-ons you can throw at it, weight reduction, and suspension. Just got to launch the car hard to run a good number. A bad 60ft for me is 1.59.

Local heretic- Thanks. Once I find a trailer you'll have to let me know when a good time to go to a TnT session and we'll line them up. I'm always up for a close race. -Mark
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Goes to show: If you know what you're doing, you can make it fast.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
There is no question in there. Both cars...a 98 Cobra and a 99 SS in bone stock trim are pathetically slow. I said they have potential and that's it.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
I wouldn't call it a light bolt on but more of a full bolt-on car.
Good point. I should've said "lightly modified" since that's what full bolts ons is really.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is no question in there. Both cars...a 98 Cobra and a 99 SS in bone stock trim are pathetically slow. I said they have potential and that's it.
Well I'll have to say the 98 cobra is pathetically slowER than the 99 SS in stock trim
Old 04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black_Bird
There was a Procharged '97 Cobra down at our track last year on drag radials, ran 8.3ish all night long with a decent launch and shifts, not sure what the problem was.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I do find that a little hard to believe, well sorta, mostly stock LS1's are running anywhere between 8.40's(DR's) to 8.70's(street tires) at our track and the mostly stock 96-98 cobra mustangs are running 8.60's(DR's) to 9.00's(street tires). Those cars just are that strong running without a nice set of mods on them, but then again any car with a good set of mods can be fast
Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Gears. These years need them. Not a wimpy 3.73 or 4.10's. I'm talking 4.30's and preferably 4.56's. With a 1st gear ratio of 3.37 and 4.56's... the car feels like a rocket out the hole. There was a video on corral a while back of a guy that went 12.9X with 4.56's, slicks, and a o/r H pipe. Of course he shifted the ba Jesus out of it but it ran the number. I can normally hold off alot of LS1's until the traps. But at the 1/8th mile mark I shift into 4th and turn my head and watch the LS1 start to creap up. Then I pray that there isn't enough track left for him to get the win light. but if they are neck and neck with me at the 1/8th the outcome doesn't look good for me. lol. -Mark
Old 04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Most of these guys run stock gears, so they don't go anywhere fast, I like the cars and even looked into one before I got my Z but I just liked the starting platform of it a little better
Old 04-27-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The_Wretched
A 96-98 Cobra... don't know the year. We went 3 times... on the highway. He got me by 2 cars the first run. From 75 in 3rd gear to 130...

2nd Time we went from 60 to 120... we were neck and neck. I kept up.

3rd time... from 40 in 1st gear for me... and I got him by half a car until 140.

WTF??? it definately was supercharged. I know it's a crappy year Cobra... but I was expecting him to rape me. it didn't happen. the first time he got me because I wasn't completely ready.

I was disappointed... i was hoping to lose bad... lol.

the supercharger may have been heat soaked and not putting out full power.
lots of 96-98 with blowers have no intercoolers, making it worse. i know mine loses power with many back to back runs... hot muggy days makes it worse.

supercharged can mean almost anything. what size blower. what type of blower, etc. his may be just an S-Trim at 8-10 psi.