Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"general" being the key word.... meaning its pretty close more often than not....

was pretty damn close for my car
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
***Repost Police***

It's fairly close, just like the hp/et calculator. But just like with the hp/et calculator, there are always exceptions, and always cars that do better/worse than expected.

Edit: Here's a pretty good example of what I'm saying...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2248722

387whp on 10psi
400whp on 12psi
422whp on 14psi

And that's on a stock-interal motor. So if you know what you're doing, and pick the right turbo/housing/supporting mods, you can make FAR more than you're "supposed to."
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It's fairly close, just like the hp/et calculator. But just like with the hp/et calculator, there are always exceptions, and always cars that do better/worse than expected.

Edit: Here's a pretty good example of what I'm saying...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2248722

387whp on 10psi
400whp on 12psi
422whp on 14psi

And that's on a stock-interal motor. So if you know what you're doing, and pick the right turbo/housing/supporting mods, you can make FAR more than you're "supposed to."
Dude for the most part the k20 on 15psi will not make over 400 to the wheels. Look at similar motors like a srt 4 on 15 will not crack 300 to the wheels or look at the evo's with upped boost even if you take away the awd loss.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

so, i'm really not sure why you're arguing with me.... You just admitted that that example that you're showing is probably an "exception to the rule".... Its making more power that they usually do....

So.... you don't know the gentleman that the OP raced.... so how can you assume that its also an "exception to the rule".... Its more likely, unless proven otherwise, that this guy would fall under the "general" case........ therefore not making over 400whp..... more like the Mid-300's ...
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

some people on this site actually LIKE to learn about different cars other than the ones they own.
We all thank you so much oh high and holy one for 'edumacating' us dumb, ignorant, mulleted, rednecked, hillbilly *****, and keeping us in check regarding your fantabulous imports.
What oh what would we EVER do without you!!!

But how do YOU ever learn about your precious imports (in order to 'learn' US) if you are ALWAYS on here doing your I.D.L. duties, and NOT on your myriad 'duh/import sites???????

Maybe you know it all already??
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by dailydriver
We all thank you so much oh high and holy one for 'edumacating' us dumb, ignorant, mulleted, rednecked, hillbilly *****, and keeping us in check regarding your fantabulous imports.

But how do YOU ever learn about your precious imports (in order to 'learn' US) if you are ALWAYS on here doing your I.D.L. duties, and NOT on your myriad 'duh/import sites???????

I can tell you I know a bit about a bit... never claimed to know it all, but I don't have my head in the sand UNWILLING to learn about anything other than what I drive. And SonOf, "most" people do crappy turbo setups, on EVERY car. If you know what you're doing, you can make really good power... on EVERY car. A ton of people have STS kits on their F-bodies, so should I base my judgement of turbo F-body performance on how the STS cars perform? It's all about how the boost is delivered. Remember the '03 Cobra test where they took off the Eaton M-112 and put on a good turbocharger and picked up 150rwhp from the SAME BOOST LEVEL?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can always block me if you want... some people on this site actually LIKE to learn about different cars other than the ones they own. If you're not one of them, so be it. You can stay in your little "my car is the fastest and best car in the world" little fog if you'd like.
Thats the thing, IF I CARE TO LEARN, I GO LOOK IT UP MYSELF AND RESEARCH. I don't need some **** **** douche preaching some bullshit to me. I also don't need some **** **** telling me what "COULD" have happened. I'm far from ignorant when it comes to MANY, MANY MANY platforms. So I'm very well aware of what is possible and what is bullshit. You on the other hand sound like a broken ******* record.

Edit -

+1
Exactly! Great post DD!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Thats the thing, IF I CARE TO LEARN, I GO LOOK IT UP MYSELF AND RESEARCH. I don't need some **** **** douche preaching some bullshit to me. I also don't need some **** **** telling me what "COULD" have happened. I'm far from ignorant when it comes to MANY, MANY MANY platforms. So I'm very well aware of what is possible and what is bullshit. You on the other hand sound like a broken ******* record.
Okie dokie kiddo
Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

I can tell you I know a bit about a bit... never claimed to know it all, but I don't have my head in the sand UNWILLING to learn about anything other than what I drive. And SonOf, "most" people do crappy turbo setups, on EVERY car. If you know what you're doing, you can make really good power... on EVERY car. A ton of people have STS kits on their F-bodies, so should I base my judgement of turbo F-body performance on how the STS cars perform? It's all about how the boost is delivered. Remember the '03 Cobra test where they took off the Eaton M-112 and put on a good turbocharger and picked up 150rwhp from the SAME BOOST LEVEL?
First thing, i have no idea what Cobra you're talking about, but are you even able to tell me why it gained that much hp?? I know exactly why, but i really don't think you know much about boost from the sounds of it.... not being rude, but hardly anyone in this Street Racing forum knows much about boost from the posts i see....

Secondly, your point really doesn't get to the root of my question..... I understand that if you put a great turbo setup on the car that its going to make exceptional numbers... but my formula was for teh "general" case.... NO ONE ON THIS FORUM, INCLUDING YOU, knows anything about the guy the OP raced... so, imho, he falls into the "general" case.... therefore its very unlikely he was making the 400whp that you said he should be making - this is reserved for those that are the "exceptions" ....

i just don't get it... you're arguing that he's probably making 400+whp, when that's for those that have gone the extra mile to make sure they get every single hp outta their setup - whcih you've admitted that MOST people don't do..... so this guy is probably in this MAJORITY, and therefore isn't making anywhere near the power you claim him to be likely making
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

And for the record - i've said it 1000 times i swear - i dont consider STS setups to be bad setups... Sure, judge an F-body on what an STS puts down.... most guys on STS setups have stock shortblocks... therefore they can't run the boost required to make numbers like the ones my car makes, or ones even more impressive....

If you go the route of forging the shortblock, putting good heads on, etc etc etc, an STS will make equally impressive numbers as a turbo setup like mine....
Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
First thing, i have no idea what Cobra you're talking about, but are you even able to tell me why it gained that much hp?? I know exactly why, but i really don't think you know much about boost from the sounds of it.... not being rude, but hardly anyone in this Street Racing forum knows much about boost from the posts i see....
OHH OHHH, PICK ME PICK ME!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

OHH OHHH, PICK ME PICK ME!!!
ding ding ding... go ahead johnny
Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ding ding ding... go ahead johnny
1. Turbo is more efficient

2. cooler intake charge

3. no parasitic loss

4. The HEATON is an air pump, not a compressor like the turbo (so this actually refers back to # 1)

5. Idontrunelevens loves wiener

D. all the above.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

That's why I said "I doubt." It sounds like he was BSing about the claim of how much boost he was running, because to run that much boost he would either be running the stock internals on borrowed time, or running a forged-internal shortblock. In which case, why run only 15psi?
Well, I used to have a Honda and have done my fair share of research on Honda's in general. 15psi is more than enough to pump a K20 or K24 to 450+whp. A GT35R, SC61, SC67, or GT40R will do the trick, easily. However, the motor would have to be using the lightest parts, with the best head porting, and revving the motor to 9K or better. There's no need to make more than 500whp in a FWD Honda/Acura since it can't hook in any gear up to 4th. (At least on a street setup) The ratios typically run anywhere from 4.26 to 4.78 depending on the tranny type, and 4.10's in the S2000. To understand how hard that would be to drive, imagine how crazy a 6 speed, 500rwhp LS1 w/ 4.40's in a street car, w/ street tires! And that would be crazy enough in a 3600lb F-Body. Take 700lbs off and use a FWD setup and you have practically NO traction. 15psi done right on any Honda motor can make a 120mph trap speed and if it's a huge turbo like the GT40R then you could see 130+mph trap speeds. Regardless, 0-80mph would still be tough to match an F-Body that hooks. A built Honda for the street w/ more than 15psi on a medium to large turbo cannot expect a very long life..something like 20K miles at best. He had a baby turbo, pushing the **** out of it, with no supporting mods..and he got beat.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

1. Turbo is more efficient

2. cooler intake charge

3. no parasitic loss

4. The HEATON is an air pump, not a compressor like the turbo (so this actually refers back to # 1)

5. Idontrunelevens loves wiener

D. all the above.
I'm sorry Irunelevens - no offense to you, but that's just plain funny as hell.....

looks like something i'd see on the local forum among friends
Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Dude for the most part the k20 on 15psi will not make over 400 to the wheels. Look at similar motors like a srt 4 on 15 will not crack 300 to the wheels or look at the evo's with upped boost even if you take away the awd loss.
Keep in mind Honda motors reva few extra grand...might as well throw on an extra 100hp due to revving 9K and what not. SRT's and Evo's dont rev like that.

If you said a B16, or a B18 for that matter, I'd say sure..they can't expect much more than 375-400whp on 15psi even with the best setup, and largest practical turbo. But a K20 breaths oh so much better than the B and D series. They can make 400whp on 15, it would just have to be a good head porting and a great bottom end coupled w/ a turbo like a GT35R. It's not common though, in your defense.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sorry Irunelevens - no offense to you, but that's just plain funny as hell.....

looks like something i'd see on the local forum among friends

Sorry but it is funny bro. Probably in the top 10 for me.

I still like having ya here don't worry.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

but I don't have my head in the sand UNWILLING to learn about anything other than what I drive.
I am NOT "UNWILLING to learn about anything other than what I drive", as you say.
But I also will NOT rely on YOU as my source for that knowledge, regardless of how much you do or do not know.
I've never denied, or failed to acknowledge the power capabilities of properly; chosen/built/tuned/equipped import powerplants.
But YES, I most definitely WILL CALL on the totally false, 'telephone game' import fanboieee deification **** when I hear it!!!
(i.e.; GTEs on stock internals pulling >1500 whp on pump gas, forever and reliably, no less. )
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Okie dokie kiddo
So you finally get it now?? Maybe when you grow up you'll learn when its best to shut your mouth while you're still ahead.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

I am NOT "UNWILLING to learn about anything other than what I drive", as you say.
But I also will NOT rely on YOU as my source for that knowledge, regardless of how much you do or do not know.
I've never denied, or failed to acknowledge the power capabilities of properly; chosen/built/tuned/equipped import powerplants.
But YES, I most definitely WILL CALL on the totally false, 'telephone game' import fanboieee deification **** when I hear it!!!
(i.e.; GTEs on stock internals pulling >1500 whp on pump gas, forever and reliably, no less. )
If we made a list of the bullshit it would span miles.

Quick Reply: Turbo RSX-S