Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mr2(turbo) vs TransAM w/ bolt on's and 150 shot. part 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:03 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Mr2(turbo) vs TransAM w/ bolt on's and 150 shot. part 2

...Styling is by opinion, of course, but many people do mistake them for Ferraris
I found this line amuzing.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll let you make up your own mind:

BTW, the 2nd Gen MR2 came out in 1990 in Japan, while the 355 came out in 1994
Old 08-09-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

v8s are faster then I4's no doubt. Those are just facts. But the thing is, do you see Japanese manufacturers making many v8 sports cars? No. You know why? They don't need to. Let's line up a FD rx7 against a C5 Corvette. The rx7 is a twin turbo 1.3 liter rotary. The Corvette is a 5.7 liter v8. Who would win? The rx7. The newest Corvettes are a different story, but the thing is they started producing FD's way back in 1993 .

Anyways the point is, that Japanese car builders make the most out of their engines, unlike Fords, GM, etc. There are n/a 4 cylinder engines(s2000) that can rival v8s. If Toyota or Honda decided to make a v8 sports car it would obviously spank any domestic iron, but why don't they do it? Because it would make handling worse. It's all about priorities. Most stock imports are a little bit slower, but handle much better. Domestic are only good for going in a straight line. To each his own
What do you mean by FD? If you are talking about Front wheel Drive, the RX7 is RWD. Actually Toyota does make a V8 (that was actually modeled after the GM small block) and in a power compare with the V8s used in full size GM trucks there is none. The GM trucks produce a much higher power output. This could mostly be because Toyota is new in the production of larger motors. More cylinders makes for more parts making it harder to precision tune complex setups like Honda prefers using. It might be different in the future but for the time being Honda doesn't mass produce street cars with 8 cylinders due to this fact. They have produced larger motors for the indy scene and if you notice the output is similar to that of all indy cars, not amazingly better or amazingly worse. Honda is an economy corporation, efficiency and the enviroment are their main concerns. Toyota is far more performance based than Honda but chooses to focus mainly on handling. As for the S2000 I have raced these and I must say I wasn't impressed. Modded they begin to become somewhat of a threat but stock they are more a joke than anything. Their top-end is decent but down low they have no pull and even on top-end the LS1 will walk away faily easily. They look kinda cool and I was impressed that Honda produced a RWD sports car for a change. Also I'm not sure about their handling never seen one cut corners but I'm sure they do that pretty well. As for the MR2 I don't mind the looks of it and yes with a decent setup its a pretty quick car. I on the other hand love my American muscle.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Teching In

FD is the term for the 3rd gen RX7, FC was 2nd gen, etc.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Ok, I'll let you make up your own mind:

BTW, the 2nd Gen MR2 came out in 1990 in Japan, while the 355 came out in 1994

You've got some major cojones comparing the two.
The Ferrari F355 is powered by a 3.5-liter, 375-hp DOHC V-8 coupled with a 6-speed manual transmission. Top speed is 177 mph and it runs 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

As for styling, I don't see what you see. Are you saying Pininfarina copied Toyota designers?!!!
Dude! Get a life.

Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

yes the japanese do tend to get more out of there engines. So what that just means that domestics have more poential. BTW the honda s2000 is a joke! a Vortech sc one in town still isn't as fast a bolt on f-body!
Old 08-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Teching In

No, I would never claim that Pininfarina would do that, trust me.

I'm just saying maybe the MR2 was a little ahead of its time, styling wise.

I never said anything about the performance vs. the 355.

No the MR2 may not compete with the 355, but it sure did pretty well against the 348.

BTW, as usual, we didn't get the fully fledged MR2 here as they did in Japan, which had 245hp and ran the 1/4 in 13.4 seconds.

Oh, and there are some in the US, on stock turbos and internals running 12's in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Teching In

BTW the honda s2000 is a joke! a Vortech sc one in town still isn't as fast a bolt on f-body!....hahaha dont ya love it
Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Two logins with nearly the same exact message? Weird...
Old 08-09-2003, 06:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

No the MR2 may not compete with the 355, but it sure did pretty well against the 348.

BTW, as usual, we didn't get the fully fledged MR2 here as they did in Japan, which had 245hp and ran the 1/4 in 13.4 seconds.

Oh, and there are some in the US, on stock turbos and internals running 12's in the 1/4 mile.

Again, all points we could give a rat's *** about.
As for the Pininfarina reference, it was made 'cause YOU posted a pic of the MR2 next to a pic of the F355, then YOU stated when the two were put to market. You didn't have to claim anything, but you were trying to make a point weren't ya. The inferred argument was clear as day, then you try to come off with "I would never claim!...."
Dude get a life.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Again, all points we could give a rat's *** about.
As for the Pininfarina reference, it was made 'cause YOU posted a pic of the MR2 next to a pic of the F355, then YOU stated when the two were put to market. You didn't have to claim anything, but you were trying to make a point weren't ya. The inferred argument was clear as day, then you try to come off with "I would never claim!...."
Dude get a life.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Teching In

I am an MR2 owner, There are different cars for different people I like any car that is good at what it does. There is also a lot of different kinds of racing, Toyota is going to be competing in Nascar soon, Ford races in F1, Toyota already has started competing in NHRA racing. I occasionally drag race but don't claim to be that fast most people on this board would destroy me at the drags my best is a 13.2... But there probably is not one American car here that could come close to me in autocross. If everyone had the same taste we could all be driving Cavaliers, or a Ford Focus. Drive whatcha like. I don't think it was smart to post hear the way he did, but he does not represent the entire MR2 community.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

'Nother point of fact regarding the 2nd-gen Mister Two/"Piccola Testarossa" comparison:

The 355 was an update of the 348. The 348 came out around 1990.

Most likely a coincidence. A happier coincidence for Toyota, to be sure, than the front end of the '98 Chrysler Concorde was for Camaros of the same year...
Old 08-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Teching In

I also own an MR2 Turbo....and i also would like to say that 25psi doesnt represent all of us...i honestly don't know why he would post that here out of the blue....i sure know us mr2 people wouldnt care for it if somebody with an ls1 (or any other car for that matter) posted an ls1 beating an mr2....most wouldnt even care....like Techno said you'll never have the fastest car so who cares....there'll always be an ls1 that can beat an mr2 and there'll always be an mr2 that can beat an ls1....but who cares?....i'm sure there's plenty of ls1's that could beat that mr2 in said video and vice versa...and the people claiming imports have no torque....i think you are confusing Hondas for all imports....cuz very few Hondas have torque...the mr2 is 200hp 200tq stock...and most i've seen that are modified...the torque isnt too far below the HP....but comparing the mr2 and an ls1 f-body is like comparing apples and oranges....both are good cars in their own way....the mr2 brakes from 60-0 in 107ft from the factory (faster than a viper) and corners really well....an ls1 f-body however will rape an mr2 stock for stock in anything relying mainly on acceleration....it's all about personal preference...i have respect for anybody that has a love for cars regardless of what it is as long as they aren't cocky about it...and i think if you met most of us mr2 people (we're a pretty tight knit community) you'd think we're pretty ok people....and i'm sure it'd be likewise for us meeting you....just don't hate all of us based on 1 person's actions
Old 08-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Teching In

It would be nice if every car enthusiast community did not spawn trolls, but they do.

There are people that get off on throwing out barbs to other communities.

Just to clean up a few facts, b/c a large amount of 25psi's posts are full of bullshit................or misinformation.

The video of the car mentioned is the car's best run, period. This was the owner's first time at the track making more than one run without breaking something. He has NEVER hit a mid-10.

25psi's presence in the MR2 community has been noticed, by that he has been in the process of building his car for some time now. I have yet to see a dyno sheet from any but one of his previous setups. I have seen pictures that other people have taken of his motor, both in and out of the car.

FWIW, we (as the MR2 community) hate trolls as much as you do, and the LS1 is an excellent motor with MUCH more potential than a 2.0 liter 4 cyl MR2 motor.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

Dayum, 25psi, how many personalities do you have???? Again, Don't forget I am the Internet psychologist and all of these brand new posters sure have the same basic "tone" to them. Gotcha again!!!!!!!

And, ummmm hmmm Tony, I would happily take you up on a little autocross in my domestic iron that wasn't intended to go fast and turn at the same time. I properly driven MR2 should be quite a challenge, but don't underestimate the domestics.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks for the pics of the F355 and the MR2. To me, the onyl reason they look similar is the retractable headlights and the color. Other than that, the MR2 looks like a bitch car. Scoops, rims, frontend, etc, all look WAAAAAAAAAY better on the Ferrari. Sorry

I am an MR2 owner, There are different cars for different people I like any car that is good at what it does. There is also a lot of different kinds of racing, Toyota is going to be competing in Nascar soon, Ford races in F1, Toyota already has started competing in NHRA racing. I occasionally drag race but don't claim to be that fast most people on this board would destroy me at the drags my best is a 13.2... But there probably is not one American car here that could come close to me in autocross. If everyone had the same taste we could all be driving Cavaliers, or a Ford Focus. Drive whatcha like. I don't think it was smart to post hear the way he did, but he does not represent the entire MR2 community.
Tony- very intelligent post. I wish more people thought like this. Every time I argue with an import-fan, they say "Take your heavy *** car to an auto-x track and we'll see who wins." I simply reply "If I wanted a car that could auto-x, I wouldn't have bought an F-Body."

Most of us here are drag-racers by heart. I was raised on one type of racing and one type of car- Drag and american. I don't watch Nascar, I rarely watch Auto-x (although it is cool to see how great those cars handle). I live to go to the track for a day of drags or to see an occasional event on TV.

As you said, it wouldn't be as fun if everybody drove the same type of car. I respect every car that's quick in it's own right. The onyl cars that I really can't stand are the TRUE RICEBURNERS- Civics with fake BOV, 1985 Accords with double-stack wings, Saturns with fake NAWSSSS bottles, etc. You guys all know what I'm talking about.

Point being, fast cars are great. No matter what htey are. Often times, it's the driver that ruins the car more than the car that ruins itself. If that made any sense... Oh well. I tried.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Teching In

As you said, it wouldn't be as fun if everybody drove the same type of car. I respect every car that's quick in it's own right. The onyl cars that I really can't stand are the TRUE RICEBURNERS- Civics with fake BOV, 1985 Accords with double-stack wings, Saturns with fake NAWSSSS bottles, etc. You guys all know what I'm talking about.
trust me, most of us true import tuners hate the ricers too...so in that sense we have a common ground...most of the mr2 crowd is more into making their car fast or making their car handle better than putting big ugly bodykits on and huge aluminum wings....but very few cars are safe from ricers....there's even riced out f-bodies! lol you gotta love seeing an f-body with a nasty bodykit/clear tails, etc...anyway i just wanted to re-iterate that none of us on the mr2 board condones this type of behavior shown by 25psi...like NoShoes said....the ls1 has loads more potential than the 4 cylinder 3sgte found in the mr2 turbo...i can respect any car that's fast....i have friends with imports (even some that are ricers ) and friends with domestics...it's all just a matter of personal preference....it's just too bad that some people have to go around posting videos on other message boards and starting fights....i apologize to you all from the mr2 community
Old 08-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Very well said.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Teching In

All this talk is childish. Never seen anything like this on a import board, let alone a ls1board. All I have to say is I have a MR2 jspec and it did a 13.5 STOCK! I put on a ball bearing turbo, did a little bit of fuel and ignition upgrades, greddy IC, and a few other minor things and im doing 11's right now. I have probably not even $12k invested including the car. Lets see...

MR2 non turbo $3500
jspec turbo motor swap $3500
Did the install myself
about $4k in mods
NOT EVEN 12k total.

And the real thrill is its a 4cyl. You can call them ***** cars but when a 4cyl beats you what that make your car? I take out v8's all day long and the owners get so pissed threatening to kick my *** for beating them, but when i race something other then a v8, then he is cool and gives props. The sad part is I raced more 4cyls that gave me a challenge then V8's. So next time when you guys get beat by a 4cyl, remember this....

Its a 4cyl
u have 4 cyls more
its a ***** car, so whats your car now? double *****? lol
it sounds like a weed wacker
your sounds like a real machine, yet slower...

Why cant some people admit there is fast import 4cyls out there that will knock your slicks off. I know there are cars out on the street that will beat me too, but when a v8 does beat me (not often) He should have beatin me. He has 4 more cyls and probably paid 3 times for his car then i did.

Quick Reply: Mr2(turbo) vs TransAM w/ bolt on's and 150 shot. part 2