Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mr2(turbo) vs TransAM w/ bolt on's and 150 shot. part 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Mr2(turbo) vs TransAM w/ bolt on's and 150 shot. part 2

I actually like the 2nd gen MR2, I had a friend back in '93 that had one that ran low 12s on radial tires (turbo) and looked awesome.

I looked over the IP addresses of all these MR2 guys, and they are not the same person

Tony
Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanx for taking time out and clearing this up. C I told u.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is almost as funny as someone on the internet telling me his friend had a 9.5 second streetable Civic hatch that he drove on long trips and got almost 30mpg on them
Old 08-12-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm feeling guilty for saying this, but I really find these posts entertaining.

I can only wonder what would happen if a group of us would sign onto a "ricer" board and start a flame war just for kicks. Has anyone done this? Is it a barrel of laughs like I'm imagining?

Oh, well back to work. Boss already caught me once trying to post this.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey 11secmr2turbo, thats great! But your just like the other instigators on this board, you come in talking mess and do nothing but raise tempers. when you get your motor to run your current times without a turbo, nitrous, or supercharger, then I'll be impressed. Until then, all you have is a nice car thats respectable just because it hit 11's, but far from impressive. There are too many cars with turbos that have made much larger accomplishments on the drag racing scene, and even more naturally aspirated LS1's that have hit times FAR faster then your turbo car. 4 cyl turbo cars can be extremely impressive, thats a given.

edited for a stupid comment i made, sorry.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Why cant some people admit there is fast import 4cyls out there that will knock your slicks off. I know there are cars out on the street that will beat me too, but when a v8 does beat me (not often) He should have beatin me. He has 4 more cyls and probably paid 3 times for his car then i did.
there are definately some VERY fast imports out there, but dont hand us this BS about you being just 4 cylinders and all this crap. IF it was a 4-cylinder NA vs a 8-cyliner NA, then it wouldnt even be a comparison. So dont sit here and cry im just a 4 banger and should lose crap cause your not "just" a 4 banger....its not becoming of anybody but a cry baby. If you lost to a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo, you wouldnt say "i lost to a V8" you would say "i lost to a V8 turbo" because turbos make a HUGE difference in power. You have a turbo, that more than makes up for 4 less cylinders in anybody's book and it gives you a very respectable amount of power comparable to some factory V8's naturally aspirated.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gangly. I don't know if you know this already, but there are 9 sec all motor Hondas out there now.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

yes, i did know, and thats very impressive.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Gangly. I don't know if you know this already, but there are 9 sec all motor Hondas out there now.

And do they drive to the track?
Nope.
We got a local 8 sec Mustang here who drives to the track.
Those hondas are composite bodies and and their chassis and body weigh less than the motor and tranny combo. Their full blown race cars. We got N/A V8's running 6's at over 200 mph with more of an interior than the hondas your mentioning.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

And do they drive to the track?
Nope.
We got a local 8 sec Mustang here who drives to the track.
Those hondas are composite bodies and and their chassis and body weigh less than the motor and tranny combo. Their full blown race cars. We got N/A V8's running 6's at over 200 mph with more of an interior than the hondas your mentioning.
NA imports are all about their power-to-weight ratios and traction. extracting every last bit out of a B-series (most popular), Honda engine still leaves even the "racer" lacking on horsepower so they then cut holes in the car or swap to a tube-frame because lightening the car is almost all there is left. once real tuners dig into the new K-series engines all of the Honda drag racers will probably swap over and the times will get lower, but i for one am not waiting to hear that an NA 4 cylinder has gone faster than any V8. and for that matter i could care either way.

4 cylinders do okay but V8s do it better. why can't everyone just agree that modding good V8 engines will always yield better returns than 4 cylinders will.

i'm a civic owner myself and if my car is never able to compete with LS1s or LT1s, i will be okay with that.

why does everyone always resort back to "well if i did this-n-that to my car, then i would smoke you."

run what you brung!
Old 08-12-2003, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

NA imports are all about their power-to-weight ratios and traction. extracting every last bit out of a B-series (most popular), Honda engine still leaves even the "racer" lacking on horsepower so they then cut holes in the car or swap to a tube-frame because lightening the car is almost all there is left. once real tuners dig into the new K-series engines all of the Honda drag racers will probably swap over and the times will get lower, but i for one am not waiting to hear that an NA 4 cylinder has gone faster than any V8. and for that matter i could care either way.

4 cylinders do okay but V8s do it better. why can't everyone just agree that modding good V8 engines will always yield better returns than 4 cylinders will.

i'm a civic owner myself and if my car is never able to compete with LS1s or LT1s, i will be okay with that.

why does everyone always resort back to "well if i did this-n-that to my car, then i would smoke you."

run what you brung!
Holy crap! An import owner that actually makes sense for once and doesn't talk out of his ***. You're a rare breed my friend.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Holy crap! An import owner that actually makes sense for once and doesn't talk out of his ***. You're a rare breed my friend.
i would like to think that we're out there but we're just quiet. same way i feel about the people that really care about the country we live in.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Teching In

heh...if it makes you guys feel better i raced a 98+ z28 the other night and got my *** handed to me lol...i have a 93 MR2 Turbo....after we raced we talked about his mods n stuff then we lined em up again and he smoked me again and he gave me the peace sign and we parted...he didnt disrespect my import just cuz he beat me and i didnt make excuses like "blah blah you have a v8 i have an I4 blah blah"....the kid was cool....i just went and told my friends and laughed...cuz man...it was really funny hehe...props to that kid that beat me
Old 08-13-2003, 12:46 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

A red MR2, just like the one in the photos posted just drove by the office. I confused it for a Ferrari!!! NOT!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would like to think that we're out there but we're just quiet. same way i feel about the people that really care about the country we live in.
Wow, and a patriot to boot. Good for you! You get props from me.... and I don't give props to many import enthusiasts.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, Alot of the F-Body guys here are making themselves look like real asses. Seems to me the majority of MR2 guys are being decent and we are acting like children.

Posting such intelligent comments as : "This guy thinks his MR2 is a Ferrari?" and "I confused it for a Ferrari.NOT!" That is some ignorant 2nd grade **** if I ever have seen it.
SO what? It does look like a 355 in my opinion. Is a Ferrari now so holy that it can't be compared to a Toyota? Gimme a break.Ferrari's are overpriced underperformers. People like them because they are expensive and exclusive. I had a $2,000 junkyard Malibu that would wax that 355's *** down the dragstrip. It's idiotic behavior like this that makes me stay away from "communities". I went against my general behavior by registering for this forum and trying to be a productive part of the LS1 community.I did this fully knowing that I would have nothing to say if someone lumped me in with anyone else on this board regardless of their behavior.I did this because I have seen some very helpful/funny/respectful people here and would have no problem being associated with them. It's too bad so many of you choose to make us all look bad because you don't know how to behave when your sitting at your computer.

Judging from the replies I have seen here I would prefer to hang out with more of tha MR2 guys than the LSx guys.

Yes F-Bodies as a whole are faster.That can't really be denied. There are 10,11,12second LSx/LTx/SBC/BBC/etc. powered vehicles all around the country. There are comparatively very few imports running those numbers. Yes there are MR2's that can beat an F-Body (plenty can beat me). I prefer F-Bodies (I own one). I don't particularly care for the MR2 but I recognize that light weight and moderate horsepower can mean a competent vehicle.

I will say that the majority of imports will never be as fast and as streetable as a well modified LSx powered car.I have seen quite a few 11sec Corvettes and F-bodies with full interiors and decent idles. I have seen exactly no Honda Civics running 11's and being driven on the street on a regular basis.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well said!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferrari's are overpriced underperformers.
... Your an idiot. The Enzo is very very comparible to the McLaren F1 and costs half the price.

I say we may be second graders, but at least we don't troll onto the MR2 board and stir up arguments.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:16 AM
00z
On The Tree

oh yeah well i can **** longer than you
Old 08-31-2003, 09:00 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Ferrari now so holy that it can't be compared to a Toyota?

Uh, yeah. :p

Now go on and give 25psi his back rub.

Quick Reply: Mr2(turbo) vs TransAM w/ bolt on's and 150 shot. part 2