Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GP GXP vs G8 GT (Avenger SXT as a great bonus)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP GXP vs G8 GT (Avenger SXT as a great bonus)

So yesterday I was out cruising back from the beach and a bright red G8 GT rolled up behind me. At the time we were in a construction zone and surrounded by a whole herd of minivans so we just settled for eyeing each other. He tossed me a wave and I tossed him one back.

We clear the construction zone and both hit the gas and start threading our way through the herd of minivans until we get out into the clear. Once we're in the clear we're in the clear, nothing in front of us but flat empty road. We both slow down, lining our mirrors up, pacing each other and just looking over the other person's car. After eyeing each other (and me getting my sunroof closed to reduce drag) he points at his wheel and I nod.

We drop down to 40 mph and three honks and we do it. I jumped out by about a fender and managed to hold the lead. I got a little extra when he shifted and his front end was about level with my B pillar when I backed off at 110.

We pulled back up, gave me the thumbs up and we both started slowing down. Out of nowhere in the far right lane this Avenger SXT shoots by doing a ricer flyby and the Avenger cuts into the center lane once he's by us. The dummy in the Avenger almost put himself into a skid with that lane change, his rear was slidding back and forth like he was on ice.

The G8 hits the gas and goes in pursuit of the SXT and I follow along. The G8 pulls up on the right and lines his mirrors up with the Avenger and I drop in on the far left. The Avenger has three kids in it, two shady looking guys and pretty looking gal.

The Avenger takes off, no honks or anything, the driver just hits the gas. I'm set up in 3rd, ready to roll and hit the gas as well and start pulling away. I notice though that the G8 isn't pulling, He's just sitting there pacing the Avenger.

I ease up and start pacing at well. At 107 according to my HUD the Avenger stopped gaining speed. I'm not sure if he hit a limiter, his car was shaking too much, or it was because the girl in the back seat was yelling at the driver. The G8 driver looks over at me, smiles, points to his wheel and hits the three honks.

So our second roll started from about 105. I think the Avenger driver hit the gas, but I have no way of telling, we pulled away from him right quick. The G8 jumps out this time. I manage to stay fairly close (half a car length) until about 120. About 137 or so it occurs me 'Okay, this is getting to the point of suicide, time to hit the brakes'. I brake, the G8 is out by a car length and a half.

We both get off at the next exit and stop at a gas station. The G8 Driver gets out, older guy, bald spot, huge grin on his face and walsk right over to shake my hand and says 'If we weren't out driving, I'd buy you a drink, that was amazing.'

Turns out the G8 GT is brand new, 337 miles on it, and the guy's wife had left him. She had always been really pro-enviroment and made him buy 4 cylinders, so once she was gone he figured 'F this' and got himself a V8. He was mad though when I told him if he waited a bit longer he could have had a G8 GXP with 400+ horsepower. He actually had no idea what a GXP was, he had only raced me because he saw my V8 logo.

I also explained him that shifting during races isn't always the way to go and how to get set up in gear before hand.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he should have been able to roll passed the avenger. sxt models dont have any power to them lol. and a G8 GT and a GXP are pretty much 100%. both cars seems to be running equall times other than the G8GT has hit a 13.5 stock and 13.6 was the quickest for a GP gxp. there is a g8 gt here im waiting for someone to buy it just to race it ehhe
Old 06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

wow i didn't think the g8gts were that fast i read in a mag that the g8gxp did the 1/4 in 13.2.. Thats only .3 quicker then the gt doesn't seem right.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

raod and track did the 13.5@107 i think it was i dont think they have tested a GXP yet. C&D and other have got 13.8 and 13.8 range out of the g8 gt.

track location and temps also play a huge factor. if a srt8 can hit 12s i think the G8 GXP will be able to also stock
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
he should have been able to roll passed the avenger. sxt models dont have any power to them lol. and a G8 GT and a GXP are pretty much 100%. both cars seems to be running equall times other than the G8GT has hit a 13.5 stock and 13.6 was the quickest for a GP gxp. there is a g8 gt here im waiting for someone to buy it just to race it ehhe
The G8 didn't try to beat the Avenger from what the driver said. He just sat there next to him, let the Avenger run up to its top speed and then showed he still had the ability to start a roll race at the point where the Avenger maxxed out as kind of a 'Shut your mouth and stay out of the V8s way' to the SXT.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

raod and track did the 13.5@107 i think it was i dont think they have tested a GXP yet. C&D and other have got 13.8 and 13.8 range out of the g8 gt.

track location and temps also play a huge factor. if a srt8 can hit 12s i think the G8 GXP will be able to also stock

I forget which mag it was but they compared the g8gxp to the charger r/t and the gxp did a 13.2. I'm sure with a better driver and more time it will be in the high 12's
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

naa they did a g8 gt vs charger r/t didnt they? and then the gxp vs the srt8 or whatever and both cars beat the latter in all aspects
Old 06-15-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

G8 GT's are bad *** cars. Theyre one of my favorite cars to date. How can you go wrong getting one? It can haul groceries, carry 5 people comfortably, runs mid 13's, looks bad ***, gets good gas milage, and is about $30,000!

Great races!!

- Mike
Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good runs! Only GTP I've run was a supercharged older version. He didn't put up much of a fight but a V8 would.

-Brian
Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

naa they did a g8 gt vs charger r/t didnt they? and then the gxp vs the srt8 or whatever and both cars beat the latter in all aspects
Maybe your right but i could of swore they tested a gxp at 13.2 in the 1/4..
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Those cars are so nice. Id def buy one if i could afford a car payment lol
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

I own a GXP and I'm pretty impressed with it, but I would take a G8 GT in a heart beat!
I went out with my cousin to test drive a new G8 GT and he beat the **** out of it. I will say that the trans is way to lazy, and the power takes a second or two, to kick in when down shifting or taking off from a dead stop. With some tuning the G8 is going to be a death trap! I really don't think that I would be able to take on a G8 if I was all stock. 2nd gear in my GXP lasts forever. Good kill Cherry GXP.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

I think G8's dyno at 291-300 at the wheels stock. I've got about 280 and weigh about 400lbs less. There is no way I can hit 107 in the 1/4 more like 103 so those cars frickin fly! I need more gear!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

Just FYI guys. The G8 does not have a GXP yet. There are several articles out comparing the G8 GT with the Charger R/T. There is only 1 article I know of that compares a G8 GT with a Charger SuperBee SRT8. The SuperBee was only able to just edge out the G8 GT by a fender.

If that is any kind of premonition to what the G8 GXP is going to be like, the SRT8 is not going to be any kind of contender.

Good kill though to the OP. I didn't know the GP GXP had that much in it, I'm rather impressed actually. I think what the guy in the G8 GT did was hilarious. Stayed with the little freak in the SXT to his redline and then just started a roll race. hahahahaha