Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A little suprised by a Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little suprised by a Evo IX

Just by the sound of it I'm going to assume he was at least basic bolt-ons. I was capped exhaust, Heads/cam/intake, no bottle.

Long story short, 4 lane road, me behind him, car on the left turns, I get in the open lane, crawl past the Evo in 4th ~55-60 mph so the car is a little loud. I hear him downshift, I assume he's going to pull up beside me with the open road ahead and maybe a quick honk. No, he flies by, I only downshift to 3rd (wtf was I thinking downshifting into 3rd, 2nd goes to ~80 I shift at 6500) b/c it was hot and I didn't really want to push the car, just enough to win. Well, I didn't pull him in like I thought. I was in 3rd at about 4000 rpm trying to race As the rpm's came up, the gap got a little smaller, but traffic ahead and the merge to 1 lane (I guess that's why he just went and didn't do a honking start, traffic came up faster than I thought) made us stop around 100-105. That's only about 5900-6000 in 3rd.. still not at peak power (and my shift light never came on).. and he slipped into the merge ahead of me.

SO.... I hope this guy feels better about his Evo, I fucked up the race not giving him enough credit, though I feel I had the faster car from a roll. I still prefer dig races, but I take what I can get when DD'ing. The turbo was loud, and so was the bov.. so I did a little research and the Evo IX has a good stock turbo, and they can go over 400 rwhp. He was probably a little lighter than me though, I'm a big guy. Stock turbo/cam Evo IX's are pulling 116-119 mph in the 1/4 so just starting to reel him in when getting near peak power seems about right. I will say one thing, I won't underestimate Evo's anymore.. they've been out long enough for people to mod, and I should have known better about turbo cars having owned and raced a GN for a while.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U dunno about stock turbo evos trapping near 120, but i could be wrong
Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
I was going by the discussion on this site:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=191516

The IX's are with Meth injection..

and that's assuming it was a stock turbo, I didn't stop to talk to the guy.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than that. A few freak ones have even trapped 125-127mph on the stock turbo. Even the EVO VIIIs can do 120mph with the stock turbo. Needs all boltons though and cams and race gas. Can't underestimate EVOs. I think alot of people forget that the 4G63 was available in the DSMs since 1990. So even though the EVOs were never officially imported till the early 200X, they did have a head start in comparison to say the WRXs. You just apply the same basic modding principles to the EVOs.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good run. I made that same mistake once with a Porsche Turbo because I didn't know the brand new trans in my car yet with the shorter gears and even though I started reelin him in, I didn't have enough room and I had to give him the win. I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

my buddy had a stock turbo evo that trapped 122. i drove it and LOVED it. car handles and brakes like crazy. if i could get past the ricer stigma i'd get one