Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3/4 ton Yukon XL vs Charger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3/4 ton Yukon XL vs Charger SRT8

Before you call BS, I can hardly believe it either, but I couldn't stop laughing. Me, my dad, and my buddy were coming back from a parts run, and I was driving while munching on a moonpie. Suddenly, this lowered red Charger SRT8 with black wheels blurs by, around me to the right (only two lanes going our direction), and back in front of me before he's stopped by a red light. Me and Trevor (Silverado_13) are talking about the SRT8 at this point, and I decide I'm going to try to keep up with him for ***** and giggles.
So it's this toyota, the Charger, and me in the left lane, and some other people in the right. Light goes green and the Charger is right on the 'yota's tail until the lady driving pulls over into the right lane, and he guns it. The road is gently curving (the encounter was from point A to B on this map)

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...18797&t=h&z=16
and I nail it to keep up with him. He's on it full throttle by all accounts, and suddenly I slowly start to reel him in. At this point, the three of us were grinning or outright laughing, and I let up to about 80% throttle for a second to round the corner. As soon as I got back on the throttle, I slowly started pulling again. We went full throttle until the stoplight at the end of the map was in sight, at which point I had gotten the nose of the Yukon about even with his front quarter panel. The dude didn't even look at us, just tore a right onto Hwy 9, while we were waiting to go left. I finished my moonpie while I was waiting for the light.

Then we got back and we finished installing my PCM-based shift light, which works now, except for sometimes it'll blink when I am off the throttle completely and not on the brake or the clutch. Something in the settings on the tune, I think.

In all fairness, the Yukon has a CAI and a tune by me, it's a 6.0 with 4.10 gears. Weird, huh? Dunno what was up with this whole thing, but I laughed intermittently for about half an hour afterwards.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

v6 chargers are slow. duh.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no way in hell it was a srt8
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Dude, those were some good f*cking moon-pies.

Mrbigjeep: Yes, it was an SRT8. Unless it was a 3.5L clone which I HIGHLY doubt, it had the hood scoop, the front fascia, the rear bumper, the spoiler, the badges, and it was lowered. It also sounded pretty healthy.

Rico, I'm post-processing the photos that I took earlier of your car, I'll email them in a little bit. Also, what time are y'all leaving tomorrow to head down to Summit and are you going over to Austin's to do a compression test?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
Dude, those were some good f*cking moon-pies.

Mrbigjeep: Yes, it was an SRT8. Unless it was a 3.5L clone which I HIGHLY doubt, it had the hood scoop, the front fascia, the rear bumper, the spoiler, the badges, and it was lowered. It also sounded pretty healthy.

Rico, I'm post-processing the photos that I took earlier of your car, I'll email them in a little bit. Also, what time are y'all leaving tomorrow to head down to Summit and are you going over to Austin's to do a compression test?
I dunno, we kinda discussed that it might be a R/T cloned into a SRT. I could see the truck hanging even with an R/T (since the 6.0 in the yukon makes like 367hp stock, and it's not really stock), but I really don't think that was an SRT... That'd be kind of ridiculous. I really wish it hadn't been raining when we ran into that Challenger in my T/A earlier though... That'd have been embarrassing for that guy.

I dunno. I have to take my bro to football practice around 4, then I have to get to Austin's w/ the leak down test equipment, then drive to summit. That could be three hours of driving, more if I'm caught in rush hour. No idea how it'll work out. Not even sure what time the show at Summit starts. Seven or eight, I thought.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

if it was an srt8 then your about as fast as an ls1 camaro or t/a
Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense, but either it was a V6 clone like you said or he didn't put the petal to the floor lol. Honestly a yukon with those mods would be lucky to break 14s and an SRT8 is running high 12s/low 13s stock with way better top end so I also don't get how you guys started pulling on him. That being said it sounds like you guys had fun.

How much does that yukon weigh, and I didn't realize it was the 367 hp 6L, I guess with the mods you mentioned along with that 6L you have you could be running close to an R/T.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE
I dunno. I have to take my bro to football practice around 4, then I have to get to Austin's w/ the leak down test equipment, then drive to summit. That could be three hours of driving, more if I'm caught in rush hour. No idea how it'll work out. Not even sure what time the show at Summit starts. Seven or eight, I thought.
I get off work around 5. If we leave your house around 5:30 we'd be fine. If traffic's bad we'll just take 285 around the city. Your dad gonna take the Z06?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
if it was an srt8 then your about as fast as an ls1 camaro or t/a
Originally Posted by 2000 SILVERADO
No offense, but either it was a V6 clone like you said or he didn't put the petal to the floor lol. Honestly a yukon with those mods would be lucky to break 14s and an SRT8 is running high 12s/low 13s stock with way better top end so I also don't get how you guys started pulling on him. That being said it sounds like you guys had fun.
You're about to be proved wrong about those SRT8 stats in 3... 2... 1...
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Ah, good kill.
Even 5.7 R/T's will run faster times (13.9-14.5's @100) than a Yukon so something is way wrong. That would mean your Yukon is faster than my bolt on 02 M6 SS was, not bad.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 PM

You're about to be proved wrong about those SRT8 stats in 3... 2... 1...
Id like to see that since I raced my SS and my 300C SRT8. The Yukon must be as quick as or quicker than the T/A in the OP's sig then.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Id like to see that since I raced my SS and my 300C SRT8.
I'm waiting for IFRYRCE to chirp in. He raced a stock SRT8 with dealer tags in his WS6 and put a few lengths on him. Best time in the WS6 is 13.2 I believe.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM

I'm waiting for IFRYRCE to chirp in. He raced a stock SRT8 with dealer tags in his WS6 and put a few lengths on him. Best time in the WS6 is 13.2 I believe.
Thats about the same time, if not quicker that SRT8's run. Are you saying the Yukon runs that too?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Thats about the same time, if not quicker that SRT8's run. Are you saying the Yukon runs that too?
I never said that. I'm not sure what happened with the Charger today. It was quite funny though and I'm still laughing over the encounter. All I know is that IFRYRCE put a few lenghts on a stock Charger SRT8 a couple months ago. Don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited by Silverado_13; 07-13-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, from 60 to 90 I put a length and a half on a brand-new dealer-plated SRT8 Charger when it came out. Given, he probably wasn't broken in yet. Similar, I put about 2-3 lengths on our STS-V when we had it, and that STS-V pulled 6-8 on a Charger RT from 75-140. Unfortunatly, they're heavy pigs -- comparable to many SUVs.

My best time is like 13.1, but my best MPH is 116.

EDIT: And like I said, I don't really think it was an SRT8 just by speed, but it was a damn good clone. However, I'm pretty sure if it was a V6, the Yukon would have put lengths on it. I'm guessing RT.

No idea if he's bringing the Z06. I want to drive that damn Turbo X already.

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 07-14-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM

I never said that. I'm not sure what happened with the Charger today. It was quite funny though and I'm still laughing over the encounter. All I know is that IFRYRCE put a few lenghts on a stock Charger SRT8 a couple months ago. Don't put words in my mouth.
I wasnt putting words in your mouth, thats why I had the question mark. I do believe the Yukon could run with an R/T from a roll with the mods it has. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

there was a thread a while back about the srt8's (ls1 vs. srt8) and many people posted up about there stock or near stock ls1's against the srt8 and it seemed like all races were within a car or half a car (with the ls1 pulling the half car or so)
Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM

I wasnt putting words in your mouth, thats why I had the question mark. I do believe the Yukon could run with an R/T from a roll with the mods it has. Just wanted to clarify.
Gotcha. I thought you were being sarcastic. No, the Yukon is nowhere near as fast as his WS6.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
***Repost Police***

In which case, it can be assumed that what ya'll ran wasn't an SRT-8... or he had a plug wire off
Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I was wondering why all these locations sounded familiar. I used to live in Dunwoody. Can't remember anything around the area though.