Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01-02 Kenne Bell Gt vs 96 Turbo Ta

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 01-02 Kenne Bell Gt vs 96 Turbo Ta

Bored in Idaho so I figured I would share my latest kill. lol.

Was sitting at the racing spot this last weekend and there was a ton of people. The sheriff's were out watching so no one was racing. I was waiting to leave for awhile but I was boxed in by bunch of cars...

After I patiently wait, the guy behind me in the mustang appeared and jumped in his car. Seeing my excape i quickly ran to my car.

The mustang drove down away and to the interstate where I ended up catching back up to him... The second I rolled up to his side he downshifted, waited for a sec, and blasted off. I gave him the same lil ricer flyby treatment and then slowed back down to really see how good the kb stang really runs (or mine for that matter).

The stang shifted down again and I hear the supercharger whine. I drop from 3rd to 2nd (auto 2 speed) and put it to the floor. I pull second for just a sec, click 3rd........ *pSHHHH* I let out and brake. At this point I can still hear the stang supercharger whine like he is still on it, yet i dont see him???

I figured I mighta took off on him and he wasn't ready, so I gave it to him 2-3 more times. Same thing, same result...

That stang ran a best time of 12 flat ( I know the guy who built the car, Some kid I went to school with bought it for 22k ) .. My turbo 5.3 shouldn't leave him that hard???

Either way. Was fun
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
Bored in Idaho so I figured I would share my latest kill. lol.

Was sitting at the racing spot this last weekend and there was a ton of people. The sheriff's were out watching so no one was racing. I was waiting to leave for awhile but I was boxed in by bunch of cars...

After I patiently wait, the guy behind me in the mustang appeared and jumped in his car. Seeing my excape i quickly ran to my car.

The mustang drove down away and to the interstate where I ended up catching back up to him... The second I rolled up to his side he downshifted, waited for a sec, and blasted off. I gave him the same lil ricer flyby treatment and then slowed back down to really see how good the kb stang really runs (or mine for that matter).

The stang shifted down again and I hear the supercharger whine. I drop from 3rd to 2nd (auto 2 speed) and put it to the floor. I pull second for just a sec, click 3rd........ *pSHHHH* I let out and brake. At this point I can still hear the stang supercharger whine like he is still on it, yet i dont see him???

I figured I mighta took off on him and he wasn't ready, so I gave it to him 2-3 more times. Same thing, same result...

That stang ran a best time of 12 flat ( I know the guy who built the car, Some kid I went to school with bought it for 22k ) .. My turbo 5.3 shouldn't leave him that hard???

Either way. Was fun
Nice kill...Turbo 5.3?

It depends on the trap speed really. I can see you pulling like that. I mean, you are talking a PD blower versus Turbo. Not only that he was roughly 400-420RWHP 380-400 RWTQ. If he had a 12.0 ET he probably had gears and DRs. At least one of the two.

WEll, that's assuming he was a stock 2V with supporting mods.

Either way, trap speed is what makes the diff. ontop of the different powerbands of the two different motors and FI setups.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Nice kill...Turbo 5.3?

It depends on the trap speed really. I can see you pulling like that. I mean, you are talking a PD blower versus Turbo. Not only that he was roughly 400-420RWHP 380-400 RWTQ. If he had a 12.0 ET he probably had gears and DRs. At least one of the two.

WEll, that's assuming he was a stock 2V with supporting mods.

Either way, trap speed is what makes the diff. ontop of the different powerbands of the two different motors and FI setups.
I believe he has a 5.3 ls truck motor in his firebired.

OP, what does your car trap?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I believe he has a 5.3 ls truck motor in his firebired.

OP, what does your car trap?
I saw 5.3 for his truck, but next to his Fbod it says Turbo Gen3...so IDK?..I wasn't wondering if he had a bored or stroked 5.0 from a third gen.

SEriously though...I'm curious on the setup.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I saw 5.3 for his truck, but next to his Fbod it says Turbo Gen3...so IDK?..I wasn't wondering if he had a bored or stroked 5.0 from a third gen.

SEriously though...I'm curious on the setup.
5.3 truck motor, with a hair dryer, I'm pretty sure of. A different swap then most.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
5.3 truck motor, with a hair dryer, I'm pretty sure of. A different swap then most.
That'd be pretty cool. TQ'y SOB
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Everybody can see this car in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7yaEf0ELg8

Last edited by gsxr1k2; 07-29-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

and wtf are you doing in Idaho?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1k2
and wtf are you doing in Idaho?
Just a road trip i guess. Checkin out boise for ***** and giggles. Wish I would have towed my car here

so just lots of fer now

AndI have no idea what the car traps, never been to the track. Its got a fully built th350 with a brake and stall on a stock 01 Tahoe 5.3 engine. I built the truck mani front mount myself. Along with the motor mounts and everything else.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM

Good kill! Even with a blower those 2 valves still have alot to make up for. It's too bad they put such a slug into such a nice looking car.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

^ fact....but its all good, cobras were made for a rerason lol
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dragframe
Just a road trip i guess. Checkin out boise for ***** and giggles. Wish I would have towed my car here

so just lots of fer now

AndI have no idea what the car traps, never been to the track. Its got a fully built th350 with a brake and stall on a stock 01 Tahoe 5.3 engine. I built the truck mani front mount myself. Along with the motor mounts and everything else.
That's cool man. Talk about thinking outside the box.
Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
^ fact....but its all good, cobras were made for a rerason lol
And what reRason would that be?