Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Want to see how big a difference gears make?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black blur
You will be at different speeds going into the new gear, but will both begin it with identical RPMs. This means that after you hit the powerband in first both engines will have the same 'average' torque multiplier from the start of the race till the end.
Torque multiplier by what, final gears? Differernt gears different problems, you are defeating your own argument.

Two cars equal hp and trans with differnet gears. The 4.11 will run quicker off the line than the 3.42. The 3.42 will have a higher mph limit (not faster) and the 4.11 will have a lower mph limit when all of the gear is ran out. The 4.11 will get to its max mph much quicker than the 3.42.

Yes gears do make a difference in how quick a car is with all else equal.

OP thanks for the vid.

Last edited by tasilver; 09-06-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The difference with my car with the 4.10's is I can stay in my powerband better, I shift at 6800 however I run out of gears fast. Most times I take it to the top of 4th, but I don't like trying to pull in 5th but can with no problem. My car runs like a raped ape above 3K rpm.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn badass race... cant believe you hung with him so close must have been a real small cam
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
james race my camaro when its finished.. i wont have the t56 any more but Nicks T/a is impressive indeed... walked me when we raced

p.s. you guys wont like me when my cars finished
I'm down...My only chance would be if you have the kind of traction issues you had last time you were out

I'm planning on a cam, LT's, and a custom tune the beginning of next year...If we don't get you out this year before the weather turns to **** then next year will be interesting.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
The more powerful car ran your race, with his traction control on, and you got the jump. The Trans Am STILL won the race... what did the gears do for you again!?
You must be sharp as a marble...

I got a very small jump because I was the one doing the honking...They were timed evenly but obviously I know when I'm pushing the horn for the 3rd time and he has to wait to here it...SMALL JUMP

He kept his TCS on which prevented him from spinning badly...That assisted him...I spun a bit as I took off as well, but not enough to make a big stink over.

I was at a 50whp disadvantage and only lost by 1 CL...It would appear to me that gears made a big difference...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
they helped him keep up with 50 more hp to the wheels. actually its more like 70 more hp because he only has 330ish, maybe 340 with his mods after his last dyno.

I'm assuming I gained 11whp/10wtq between the lid, gutted ram air, and t-stat....

Obviously don't know for sure....

I put down 334whp/350wtq without them....

The car pulls a lot harder in the higher rpms now that the ram air has been gutted so I know I freed up some peak hp by just doing that
Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1>*
Thanks...

He started in 2nd I believe...

The race was on my terms...He has more whp/wtq by a good amount obviously...35mph roll in 2nd is right in the middle of my powerband...We stopped at the top of my 4th because if I hit 5th he really would have walked away...
Obviously....

This is why you won. A cammed car, with stock gears, starting in 2nd gear @ 35mph = dead spot.....

So how did the gears help exactly?

Edit- Just for reference, when I was cammed with stock gears I would keep my car in 1st gear for any kind of roll race under 50mph.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Obviously....

This is why you won. A cammed car, with stock gears, starting in 2nd gear @ 35mph = dead spot.....

Edit- Just for reference, when I was cammed with stock gears I would keep my car in 1st gear for any kind of roll race under 50mph.

Read all the posts in the thread before you post...

The same thought has already been brought up and the response has been made that the Trans Am was in the powerband enough to spin a bit and have the TCS kick in...

I honestly never confirmed with Nick if he was in 1st or 2nd...I just assumed 2nd...

Either way, this thread is 4 pages in and your point has already been mentioned...

Obviously gears helped me...If they do nothing then they are a pointless mod.

I've posted other threads that you've responded to with retarded comments or **** that has already been discussed...

Go be a tool elsewhere.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Obviously....

You would be in 1st for a 40mph roll? That trans must love ya.

Good kill LS1>
Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2

Good kill LS1>
Wasn't really a kill since I lost

but thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 PM

Wasn't really a kill since I lost

but thanks

Oops. Better luck next time.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read all the posts in the thread before you post...

The same thought has already been brought up and the response has been made that the Trans Am was in the powerband enough to spin a bit and have the TCS kick in...
I did thanks. The same thought has been brought up, I acknowledge that but guess what? It's my opinion and obviously theres a few others that feel the same way.

I honestly never confirmed with Nick if he was in 1st or 2nd...I just assumed 2nd...

Either way, this thread is 4 pages in and your point has already been mentioned...

Obviously gears helped me...If they do nothing then they are a pointless mod.

I've posted other threads that you've responded to with retarded comments or **** that has already been discussed...

Go be a tool elsewhere.
I wasn't trying to make a point. I never said gears do not help and are a worthless mod. I just dont agree with you saying that the gears, in this situation, helped or made a difference. Remember, the race was done on "your terms". So... its bound to have skewed results.
No thanks, I'll "tool" around a littler longer.

Yes sir, would you like to see?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...nd-2_23436.htm

All rolls were 40ish mph and the 3 way with the bike was a 50mph roll, disregard what the video says, just listen to the short burst(s) and quick shift to 2nd.

Cammed, full exhaust, DR's, lid and tune. Trans didn't mind but the clutch sure did after a few runs (SPEC 3)
Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must be sharp as a marble...

I got a very small jump because I was the one doing the honking...They were timed evenly but obviously I know when I'm pushing the horn for the 3rd time and he has to wait to here it...SMALL JUMP

He kept his TCS on which prevented him from spinning badly...That assisted him...I spun a bit as I took off as well, but not enough to make a big stink over.

I was at a 50whp disadvantage and only lost by 1 CL...It would appear to me that gears made a big difference...
When you figure out the difference between 'here' and 'hear' only then can you insult the intelligence of another.

And I'm sure the TCS helped him. Don't you know cars with traction issues go faster with traction control on...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice runs. Way to keep up with way less power.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
When you figure out the difference between 'here' and 'hear' only then can you insult the intelligence of another.

And I'm sure the TCS helped him. Don't you know cars with traction issues go faster with traction control on...

I apologize for my one grammatical error...

Typing 60 WPM can occasionally cause some errors...

The other car prefers to race with TCS on...My statement is that he obviously wasn't too far out of his power band because he spun a bit and the TCS had to kick in momentarily...

Last edited by JayplaySS; 09-06-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice runs. Way to keep up with way less power.
Exactly
Old 09-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
wow you really do not know what you are talking about...alright:

gears in a transmission dont mean **** between final drive ratios. the final drive gear ratio sets the stage for how fast you will accelerate, and for those who care, decelerate.

the gear reduction basically acts as a torque multiplier on the rear wheels....i hate explaining this ****...

a 4.10:1 gear ratio in the rear will allow the 2.66:1 ratio 1st gear to accelerate, or run through the rpms a lot faster than a 3.42:1 ratio. and the process repeats itself through 2nd gear...3rd gear, 4th, 5th..and...you guessed it! 6th gear.

the hole driveline relies on the the final drive....cause if there was no rear guess what? you wouldnt be able to keep a constant speed, you would just get slower and slower with each gear reduction. because you would be stuck with those gear ratios in the transmission.....2.66 1.78 1.30 0.74 and 0.50

so by your logic..identical cars, final drive is 3.42 in one and 4.10 in the other....
same RPM, same gear from a roll they can take off and shift at the same time? WRONG!
if they were at the same rpm they wouldn't be able to stay next to each other at the same speed!

you have obviously never had experience with gear ratios, and simple machines like levers and ****. 4.10s will ultimately accelerate ALL gear ratios in the transmission faster, therefore making a car accelerate faster, simple gear reduction-torque multiplication math. and guess where the "average" torque multiplication comes from?

...THE FINAL DRIVE!
You obviously aren't understanding what I'm trying to say. If you have different final drive ratios you CAN'T be in the same gear at the same RPM at the same speed. And the ratios inside the tranny have 10 times the importance of the final drive ratio, in regards to acceleration.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Saying the whole driveline relies on the final drive is like saying the whole driveline relies on the rear U-Joint. Just because it is a link in the chain doesn't mean its all important.

And you obviously haven't had ANY experience with gear ratios. The ENTIRE PURPOSE of the transmission is to reduce engine speed from one gear to the next. Just because a final drive makes every gear shorter doesn't necessarily mean you go faster. You still depend on the engine to make power. And how much power your engine is making depends on how many RPMs it is at. And guess what determines what RPMs you are at? The gear ratios inside your transmission.

The relationships between torque, horsepower, gear ratios, and acceleration are to complicated to try to explain over the net. I guess if you don't understand them I can't help you.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black blur
You obviously aren't understanding what I'm trying to say. If you have different final drive ratios you CAN'T be in the same gear at the same RPM at the same speed. And the ratios inside the tranny have 10 times the importance of the final drive ratio, in regards to acceleration.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Saying the whole driveline relies on the final drive is like saying the whole driveline relies on the rear U-Joint. Just because it is a link in the chain doesn't mean its all important.

And you obviously haven't had ANY experience with gear ratios. The ENTIRE PURPOSE of the transmission is to reduce engine speed from one gear to the next. Just because a final drive makes every gear shorter doesn't necessarily mean you go faster. You still depend on the engine to make power. And how much power your engine is making depends on how many RPMs it is at. And guess what determines what RPMs you are at? The gear ratios inside your transmission.

The relationships between torque, horsepower, gear ratios, and acceleration are to complicated to try to explain over the net. I guess if you don't understand them I can't help you.
dude, you are wrong. well you are right that it is difficult to type **** on here id rather explain it to you but YOUR LITTLE ignorant brain thinks that I dont know what im talking about. i have PLENTY of experience with automobiles.

you OBVIOUSLY arent understanding what I was saying. The entire speed of the vehicle "THEORETICALLY" relies on the final drive. I know how complicated they are, its just like everything else, they work together as a system. and you can change different elements in that system to make it more efficient. if they dont work together then they fail, its a fact of life. ever play a team sport before? if you dont work as a team you fail. same things applies to everything.

you keep contradicting yourself and making new posts changing your point of view after i proved you wrong. first you say that the gears in the transmission have 10 times mroe importance than the final drive....THEN you say just because its one link in the chain doesnt mean its all important. THATS how I know you dont know what you are talking about.

and no one else agrees with you. sorry i dont need help understanding something that i already absolutely know.

no **** the transmission gears reduce engine speed, and the final gear ratio determines the ACTUAL speed of the engine and wheel rotation, along with other factors such as tire size, tire material, friction from the road, etc etc etc.

there is alot more involved with REAL physics and how the real world actually works than just numbers punched into a computer.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill LS1>
jesus christ i was thinking the exact same thing--and yes James I was in 2nd gear-I don't remember what rpms i was at but ya I decided to leave the TCS on because I didn't want to risk sliding into you're car (as I stated earlier in this thread) the tradeoff is when it kicks in it cuts you're throttle for a second or 2 so you have to play a little bit of catch up, I really learned this the hard way when I raced that TT g35. It sucks but its better than crashing your car.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jebuzws6
damn badass race... cant believe you hung with him so close must have been a real small cam
yes it is--but you don't always need a huge cam for a fast car-look at PewterScreaminMach --he's running 11's and puts down very similar numbers to my car.