Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steiner
Anti lag is something else. It's expensive to run
on the street but the WRC cars use it.

That IS antilag.

I'm no engineer but I believe the basic idea is too keep the turbo spooled to the gills even off boost.

I'm not an engineer either, but it is retarding the ignition event so much that combustion happens in the exhaust manifold therefore building boost.

Like Hennytime mentioned, what we saw the Evo do is called a two step. Hold the clutch in. Hold the gas in. Let your tune determine where the RPM's hold. From the factory the ECU's rev ceiling is 5K RPM's IIRC. The sky's the limit once you reflash the ECU.
no.

It's also highly unlikely the car has a 60 trim turbo since the Evo's 4G63 motor requires a reverse scroll setup and I've never heard of one. He's probably running a 50 trim. IMHO it's probably the best turbo for the Evo if you intend only to use pump gas. It's also really unlikely that his car actually put down 500whp. Best I've seen with a 50 trim was a stroked 2.3L Evo VIII putting down 496whp. The best thing about the 50 trim isn't the peak power though. It's the torque. You'll make peak power at around 7K RPM's but you'll make peak torque around 4K RPM's. My point is that he's most likely putting down about 400whp/415wtq on a Dynojet...give or take 15whp/20wtq. It's still a strong car but you'll need to go bigger than a 50 trim to see 500whp on an Evo. True story.

wrong, that evo doesn't have a 50 trim, or a 60 trim.. lol It's a garrett based dual ball bearing turbo and it makes well more than 500whp.

So, false story.

fixed.

Last edited by iOWNaWRX; 09-18-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by iOWNaWRX
This thread is full of fail.
Lawl..I wasnt gonna mention anything but yea..and GREAT RACE!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Quick car, had a great launch, but the flashers just turned him in to a rice box.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by iOWNaWRX
This thread is full of fail.
Wow. I've been challenged. LOL. I didn't say it had a "60 trim". I said it didn't, it couldn't, then I said why and then I said it's likely a 50 trim. Obviously it's easy to confuse the names so I didn't see the need to lay into the OP who's just trying to relay the info. You say it's a garrett based dual ball bearing turbo. OK. Which one...3071, 3076, etc? I was just pointing out the error Copernicus...in a personable way. They're making BB 50 trims nowadays for the Evo too BTW. You win on the anti-lag. Sounds like you know more about the Evo in that video than all of us. Sure sounded like a 2-step to me though. And yes...you can set the 2-step to hold whatever RPM you prefer...6800, 7300, 4800, etc. Ask me how I know. Your turn.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anti lag is helped to build boost off the line for a better launch. anti lag (2 step) is used for imports when they race from a stop, its like hitting the rev limiter at a stop... doing so helps build boost for launching
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Wow. I've been challenged. LOL. I didn't say it had a "60 trim". I said it didn't, it couldn't, then I said why and then I said it's likely a 50 trim.

And I told you that you were wrong. HennyTime thought it was a 60 trim, I corrected him the same time I corrected you, sweetheart.

Obviously it's easy to confuse the names so I didn't see the need to lay into the OP who's just trying to relay the info. You say it's a garrett based dual ball bearing turbo. OK. Which one...3071, 3076, etc?

If the owner of the Evo wanted to divulge that information then he would have told me to post that, instead he would like to remain anonymous along with the details of his setup.

I was just pointing out the error Copernicus...in a personable way. They're making BB 50 trims nowadays for the Evo too BTW.

Great

You win on the anti-lag.

I know.

Sounds like you know more about the Evo in that video than all of us. Sure sounded like a 2-step to me though.

And yes...you can set the 2-step to hold whatever RPM you prefer...6800, 7300, 4800, etc. Ask me how I know.

I didn't say you couldn't. By saying "no." I was merely stating that you were off base in what you were saying as this car in particular is using anti-lag.

Your turn.
End game
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bongva
anti lag is helped to build boost off the line for a better launch. anti lag (2 step) is used for imports when they race from a stop, its like hitting the rev limiter at a stop... doing so helps build boost for launching
Big boy domestics use anti-lag systems as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Teching In

It's easy to look well informed when you're withholding info from the rest of us. Congrats. Anti-lag (if in fact you're using the term correctly and not confusing it with a 2-step like 95% of the Evo community) is pretty rare and pretty expensive. It also requires an aftermarket standalone. I came to my conclusions based on 10 seconds of video and 5 years of working on DSM's. What kind of fuel is he running?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

he told me before the race it was some brand's green turbo with a stock bottom what ever that means and all i could get up on google that night was about 430whp. I dont know about those types of turbos just went off of what i could find in a minute's search. taking a guess on 430awhp i thought it would have been a closer race.

Bottom line is it was a good fun race and I got beat out by a faster car. I;m not trying to ethug anyone into thinking it was a fluke or a cheat, just facts.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

It's easy to look well informed when you're withholding info from the rest of us. Congrats. Anti-lag (if in fact you're using the term correctly and not confusing it with a 2-step like 95% of the Evo community) is pretty rare and pretty expensive. It also requires an aftermarket standalone. I came to my conclusions based on 10 seconds of video and 5 years of working on DSM's. What kind of fuel is he running?
Well informed as to knowing what anti-lag is?

My car has anti-lag, it's not super expensive or rare. 95% of standalone boxes have an option for and anti-lag spark map. He was on race fuel.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

and just looking at garret's line im going to guess its a gt40r dbb or something close to it, long shot from the green turbo
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Teching In

All we know is that the Evo owner is lying to somebody then. I'm running an FP Green turbo on my Evo VIII with 100 octane and I'm significantly closer to 400whp than 500whp. Forced Performance never released a ball bearing version of the Evo Green turbo either - although I've heard rumors there's a British based company sells a BB version of a 20G for almost $4K USD.

Anyways iOWNaWRX I'm not your enemy. I'm just interested in understanding the setup because I own the same damn car. I think I know whose Evo that is anyhow and if he wants his setup to be a secret than I'm not gonna ask. My guess is this turbo will look familiar to him though...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Who do you think the owner of the car is?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Teching In

I can't remember the handle but if it's the car I'm thinking of then TTP did some of the work.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

is it u?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the suspense is killing me... sooooo... who do you think the owner is??
Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

I know but I'm not telling.. na na na.

This thread took a **** once it became a game of secrets.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
I know but I'm not telling.. na na na.

This thread took a **** once it became a game of secrets.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha, wtf is up with the secrets. the flashers were gay. obviously the driver is being gay. good race, good death. there are always faster cars, and i think the evo driver is full of **** because everyone is getting different stories. he didnt pull the camaro by that much and how much is the camaro putting down?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, didn't seem to have a very agressive anti-lag at all. Nice 2-step launch though. Usually anybody running anti-lag will have some serious popping going on between shifts as the fuel gets ignited in the manifold to keep the turbo spooled between shifts while off the throttle. Makes for a nice lightshow on the track at night too.

This is a good one for rally style anti-lag setups. All the popping while off throttle (sounds like black cats going off) is the anti-leg running the turbo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAPpsL2xOU

OH, and does this car look familiar? If so, that turbo that Steiner posted has a striking resemblance to the one here. Look closely at the open engine bay shot. Further description shows: gt37r, 2.3 stroker, aem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0OmzpoaNk