Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mustang GT/CS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Um... WS6 was significantly more than the base Trans Am (as is the SS to the Z28), but people bought those. Are they morons too?
don't the ss and ws6 have upgrades to suspension too though?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes and they look better..but the point is you can take a z28 or gt and get out a lot less making it how you want to. Yes ford is smart and some of us are just gullible and like to jump on bandwagons..I for one jumped on the ls1 bandwagon after I fell off of the 5.0 mustang bandwagon...lol
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

actully ford makes all kinds of cute little names like the "King of the road", the "Terminater", but the GT/CS is a ackronym they have for GT *** sucker

not being an ******* my friend drives one thats what we call it just coldnt resist throwing it out there
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
don't the ss and ws6 have upgrades to suspension too though?
Not enough to justify the price difference. There is less of a difference between the SS/WS6 and the Z28/Trans Am than there is the new Bullitt and regular GT.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any "special", "performance", "limited", edition vehicle never has the upgrades to justify its price. The value of the vehicle is based not only on those parts, but on the development time that went into the vehicle and/or the uniqueness that comes from having a different name or trim level (Z28, SS, WS6, Cobra, etc).

It is always cheaper to build your own since you pay for:

-parts
-R & D time
-name

On the flip side one assumes that say a ZR1 is less likely to explode than some C6 Corvette I grabbed and slapped a supercharger onto, since hopefully GM spent a lot of time on R & D and made sure all the parts on it would hold up, whereas the car I assembled in my garage is likely not a 100% perfect design.

So yeah, every special edition out there costs more than just the cost of the extra parts in it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Um... WS6 was significantly more than the base Trans Am (as is the SS to the Z28), but people bought those. Are they morons too?
+1 but the ws6 and ss came with different sway bars and different intakes, different exhaust but its not worth the extra bump in price
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
So what do you think is fast? "Fast" is all relative. It's based on each
person's individual experiences. Fast to me is an 8 second street car
or a 6 second race car.
no you gotta talk about what most people have and compare it to that, a mid 12 sec. street car is fast, most cars on the street dont do that, also it depends on what class car it is, for the pony car class it should be at least doing low 13s to be called fast.

8 sec. is fast to you in a street car
Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

No. We're just pimps. A lot of people who don't own an LS1 don't realize they're (TA/Z28/WS6/SS) pretty much the same in a straight line.. I don't tell them otherwise. WS6 > the speed of light.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
no you gotta talk about what most people have and compare it to that, a mid 12 sec. street car is fast, most cars on the street dont do that, also it depends on what class car it is, for the pony car class it should be at least doing low 13s to be called fast.

A 12 second street car is not fast. I guess if you are used to driving a Prius it would seem fast to you. I'm not trying to be a dick but like Unit said, fast is realitive to your experience. If you drive a 10 second car frequently then it would take a 8 or 9 second car to seem fast to you.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
A 12 second street car is not fast. I guess if you are used to driving a Prius it would seem fast to you. I'm not trying to be a dick but like Unit said, fast is realitive to your experience. If you drive a 10 second car frequently then it would take a 8 or 9 second car to seem fast to you.
I agree with all three of you......just depends on how you look at it.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

but how many people have ever driven a 9 sec car? You compare it to what the norm is. Hes right in some ways but its just like say you can bench 350pounds, your still strong even if theres people that can rep. 650 pound. You know?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well most cars aren't high 13 or low 14. and thats definitely not fast.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

but how many people have ever driven a 9 sec car? You compare it to what the norm is. Hes right in some ways but its just like say you can bench 350pounds, your still strong even if theres people that can rep. 650 pound. You know?
That depends on the demographic you are referring to. General population not many, members of LS1tech probably quite a few. A nine second street car is a lot more common than it was 24 years ago when I started driving and modding cars.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

That depends on the demographic you are referring to. General population not many, members of LS1tech probably quite a few. A nine second street car is a lot more common than it was 24 years ago when I started driving and modding cars.
well of course your talking about a performance web site, I am talking general street cars. Thats what your street car is going to be compared with.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
well most cars aren't high 13 or low 14. and thats definitely not fast.
no but I would call that quick but I am comparing to most street cars. With new cars now thats becoming slower and slower
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea I believe the new accord runs high 13's. Who would have ever thought?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more like low 14's...but still not bad.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

that was v8 territory not to long ago
Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

kinda rewinding here, but another reason for spending extra for a ws6/ss/gt-C-ock S-ucker, or shelby gt, is for the better resale value. I mean look even now at SS camaros, and z28s I see LS1 z28s going for 8 grand left and right. However SS are rarely under 12gs maybe ocasionally find a beat SS for 10grand, but the point is having a limited production vehicle produces a higher resale.

I am just assuming it is the same for mustang special edition cars but I am not positive
Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1sick-Z
kinda rewinding here, but another reason for spending extra for a ws6/ss/gt-C-ock S-ucker, or shelby gt, is for the better resale value. I mean look even now at SS camaros, and z28s I see LS1 z28s going for 8 grand left and right. However SS are rarely under 12gs maybe ocasionally find a beat SS for 10grand, but the point is having a limited production vehicle produces a higher resale.

I am just assuming it is the same for mustang special edition cars but I am not positive
YOu can pick up a lightly modded mach for 15-18k on the registry. (more at a dealer or ebay of course).

Supply and demand...is part of it.