Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What to buy next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to buy next?

I have a 2000 Trans Am, mods in sig. Since the converter and cam traction under 30mph has been more wishful thinking than anything else. Right now I am running 285/40/17 GSD3's on the rear. I know that drag radials would help a lot but the tires still have over 50% tread left and am holding off on them for now. I have Bilstein HD's on the rear of the car, front shocks are still stock decarbons. I don't know whether to put on a set of subframe connectors or some type of adjustable shock (was thinking AGX's, maybe even on all 4 corners). I don't mind the handling of the 105K stock shocks in the front, I don't road race but it is my daily driver (drag shocks are probably out of the question). I haven't been to the track in ages but it's getting old to drive on the street and be all over the road in 1st gear. Would I get more bang for the buck with the subframe connectors or some type of adjustable shock?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

A shorter body-mounted torque arm would help some. Beyond that, it's tires. The other things you mentioned aren't going to make a lot of difference.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might start thinking about a different rear end too. A posi unit will tend to fish tail--although there are still things you can do to help. I run a 9 inch with a TruTrak. I still spin (with the same tires you have) but it stays straight.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
You might start thinking about a different rear end too. A posi unit will tend to fish tail--although there are still things you can do to help. I run a 9 inch with a TruTrak. I still spin (with the same tires you have) but it stays straight.
I have plans for a new rear, but it's easier to justify a $2500 rear end to the wife AFTER the existing one blows I do have an Eaton posi in the rear now, in fact I'm on my third rear end in 105K miles (two factory warranty, one extended warranty...so all free). I know it's a matter of time on the 10 bolt, I did have my existing one built by a speed shop and I paid the difference to upgrade several parts over what the warranty company was willing to pay. I was just wondering what a worthwhile mod would be given my traction situation, I have $400 to spend for Xmas and was having a hard time choosing. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Neither SFC's or the shocks will give you more traction. Stickier tires and/or suspension parts to that will plant the rear tires harder will help and where you should be looking. The fastest and easier two things would be a drag radial, LCA relcoation brackets. LCA's make sense at the same time, but are more for wheelhop.

Don't misunderstand, your rear shocks suck, but that's more of a stability and ride quality issue, not a traction one.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like he already has LCA and relocation brackets. He needs some stickies
Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep, looks like I missed those in his sig. He has a TA too. I agree, time for stickier tires......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!