Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Look at my New LCA

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Rod ends don't really either depending on the type. It takes time for them to wear a bit. The right question to ask would be "do the johnny joints wear and rattle over time?"
my answer was directed towards the johnny joint. there is 4 of us running around with them on. no rattle. one guy has clase to 10k on his set.

most of use are in the 2-5K range
Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

I just installed the UMI single adjustable LCA's and panhard bar. Hopefully I won't be having any rattling issues anytime soon
Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DKITCHEN
I just installed the UMI single adjustable LCA's and panhard bar. Hopefully I won't be having any rattling issues anytime soon
Shouldn't be too soon. Just know that rod ends are a wear item and will need replacement periodically. Most tend to last about 2years, but will start making noise before that. There is a company that makes rubber boots to put over the rod ends to help prevent dirt from entering the end and wearing it down quicker. Can't remember where I saw that though.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Tenured Member

Johnny joints do wear over time. Look on the jeep forums. Lots of guys run them to allow more articulation but over time they wear out then they will rattle. I just replaced the ones in my jeep with stock rubber bushings since I dont max out my xj all the time. My johnny joints were actually allowing my front axle to shift when going from park to reverse about a 1/4 inch.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

How long did you have them before they wore out?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Tenured Member

Around 2 years of moderate usage. They are supposed to be rebuildable, but I never bothered with doing anything else but greasing them. When I finally took them apart they were toast. When they work they do work nicely though.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

So aboutthe same lifespan as rod ends on street cars. Was this offroaded much though? I'd assume all the crap that gets in there and eats away would be much higher on a off road vehicle.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I think if anyone were to closely examine how rod ends work vs. johnny-joints they'd find them to be very much the same, that is a ball rides in a cage. In this case the "cage" is lined with urethane, but we know that urethane also wears over time.

I just don't see them as the be-all, end-all for these applications. We don't need the extra articulation (we don't roll the cars over @ more than 20 degrees like off-roaders might). They functionally are a ball and socket joint, just a bit different type.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only reason I was thinking they may be better for some over rod ends is that they would probably be cheaper to rebuild than it would be to replace a rod end.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Tenured Member

Johnny joints arnt that cheep to replace. About $35 per. They sell individual parts for them too. They probly will last longer than rod ends but how much I couldnt tell you. If you pulled them apart yearly they should last a little longer then normal. Are they really worth the extra weight? Its up to the buyer to decide that. If you look up currie enterprises they have a break down of them on there sight.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

well i think they are worth it.

my car is a daily driven car. no noise like the metal on metal rod end.

also your right they probly do were. but keep them lubed it will help. so will the fact that the real nice thing about them is that they are rebuild able. and if you think they are to loose. they sell tighting kits.

now your right retail on them is $40 each. and the repalce meant on a QA1 XMR rod end is around 35 retail.

but the rebuild kit is around 10(i think)

so every two years you spend $40 on all 4 corners. or 140. you do the math. which one makes more sense?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much more do these really weigh? I was refering to the rebuild when I was talking about them being cheaper to fix. Thanks for the info. Sorry if I've sorta hijacked this thread but it seamed relevant.

Quick Reply: Look at my New LCA