Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eibach Sportlines

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, there is no accounting for taste, or for experience.

Sorry, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the last two cars don't work very well. The owner's might think it's pretty good, but considering there is next to no suspension travel, I have to disagree. In fact I think the post above has to have the car sitting directly on the rear bumpstops since there is only about a 1-1.5" between the stops of a car lowered about 1.2".

Suspensions are there to move, and work over bumps, etc. These cars are go-karts. Now some folks like that, I know I've seen plenty of slammed Honda's that the owners thought were the best handling cars in the world.

To each his own. But it's this kind of experience that led me to make my first post. Anything you deal with choices on means you get opinions. I'm sure there are folks that think Cow Tongue is a treat..... No thanks. There are those that think a car that rides like a hammer and doesn't move because it can't must mean it's a great handling car. No thanks. There are those that think the stock shocks wtih 100k miles on them are great. Ok, but I sure don't, and anyone who has gotten to change theirs would agree.

A picture is worth a thousand words. And for all the times you hear folks complaining of "Bottoming out" because the car has a harsh ride, I find it ironic to say the least there are others out there that just ride around bottomed out all the time and claim to love it.

You all can make you own choices. I will never recommend Sportlines to any customer of mine, let alone cut ones--ever and it doesn't matter how many folks on the 'net say they are great, or not bad, or ok.... I know better, having driven on them (in more than one case, and on more than one car). Please don't be offended when folks disagree with you Sportline lovers. This is after all a forum to presumably gain knowledge, not one to stroke ego's. If that's what you are after, you might be better to post in sections more related to car shows.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

You all can make you own choices.
then why do you keep busting peoples ***** for what they like?? thats all i get from your posts. i understand your springs, YOURS, the ones you want to sell, are probably pretty good, but i wanted a lowered car, which means looow. this isn't a race car. not all camaros have to be race cars. let the guy be, and everyone else who has these springs.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never understood the "slammed" look. Makes NO sense at all. You say you dont want to be a race car. well you dont have to be a race car to have WORKING suspension. Cut sportlines? Just take the springs out all together and youd probably have the same ride, handling and look.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrburnout81
to the op, rock them out, who cares what everyone else thinks. its your car. i have them on my car, and i do like them. yes, i do need to get different struts and shocks, but for right now they work pretty good. i like my car being as low as possible, i would probably make it lower if i could, but for daily driving this is as low as i want to go.

Why? I just don't understand...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

I'm gonna have to side with Sam....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

then why do you keep busting peoples ***** for what they like?? thats all i get from your posts. i understand your springs, YOURS, the ones you want to sell, are probably pretty good, but i wanted a lowered car, which means looow. this isn't a race car. not all camaros have to be race cars. let the guy be, and everyone else who has these springs.
What I don't get is when people come in saying they bought a 345hp muscle car, but its not a "race car"(in the sense of being a performance car), or they don't race with it (or toy around in it lets say).
Thats like buying one of those huge 3500 diesel trucks with 4 wheels per axle on the back (sorry don't know the terminology) with the top of the line towing package and then slamming it to the ground. Then saying "well its not a work truck." Why waste the money on an extra big truck if you are not going to/can't use it?
Something like this contradicts the whole purpose of the vehicle.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 97redTA
Oh, but I am.
Oh! Well what do you need those springs for anyway? Just toss em out, you can be even lower

In all seriousness though, I don't know how that can ride good at all. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What I don't get is when people come in saying they bought a 345hp muscle car, but its not a "race car"(in the sense of being a performance car), or they don't race with it (or toy around in it lets say).
Thats like buying one of those huge 3500 diesel trucks with 4 wheels per axle on the back (sorry don't know the terminology) with the top of the line towing package and then slamming it to the ground. Then saying "well its not a work truck." Why waste the money on an extra big truck if you are not going to/can't use it?
Something like this contradicts the whole purpose of the vehicle.
The thing that gets me is the people who admit they don't know jack about suspension, but then are hell bent on believing certain things like if a car performs well that it will ride horrible on the street. Well they don't know anything about suspension, but they know about suspension I guess.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

just because you lower your car, it doesn't make you lose any horsepower. just doesn't hook up for ****. in a sense that is a good thing, since i won't break my rear so easy. yes, i still play with the car, i don't just drive it around like a old lady. my whole reason for getting the z was, i wanted a newer car, something that got good gas mileage, looks good, and had a v8. camaros meet those specs perfectly. i'm not new to fast cars, i have grown up around cars, had a s10 with a 350 in it in high school. i drag race with my dad, with a 67 chevelle with a 500bbc in it. i have done all the setup on the drag car, so i do know my around setting up suspension's. i'm not perfect, but neither is anyone else.

i have realized if you post anything other than the normal, run of the mill ****, on this forum, you get flamed on. everybody has their own car, they can do what they want. i understand most people with camaro or ta's, want to make them really fast. but some just want to do some things different. maybe they just want a show car, maybe some want the best of both worlds. just because some people want to be different, doesn't mean everyone else has to give them tons of ****.

when it comes to my car being really low, who cares but me? i like it, i know it is not the greatest riding car on the face of the earth, but thats for me to make better. right now thats how i want the car to look. it looks alot lower than you think because of the ground effects. can't people just get along without flaming on everyone, other than the ricers? this is a ls motors forum, we all understand one thing, the ls motor is bad ***, how and what you want to do with the car is up to you. just give the ricers hell
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

just because you lower your car, it doesn't make you lose any horsepower. just doesn't hook up for ****. in a sense that is a good thing, since i won't break my rear so easy. yes, i still play with the car, i don't just drive it around like a old lady. my whole reason for getting the z was, i wanted a newer car, something that got good gas mileage, looks good, and had a v8. camaros meet those specs perfectly. i'm not new to fast cars, i have grown up around cars, had a s10 with a 350 in it in high school. i drag race with my dad, with a 67 chevelle with a 500bbc in it. i have done all the setup on the drag car, so i do know my around setting up suspension's. i'm not perfect, but neither is anyone else.

i have realized if you post anything other than the normal, run of the mill ****, on this forum, you get flamed on. everybody has their own car, they can do what they want. i understand most people with camaro or ta's, want to make them really fast. but some just want to do some things different. maybe they just want a show car, maybe some want the best of both worlds. just because some people want to be different, doesn't mean everyone else has to give them tons of ****.

when it comes to my car being really low, who cares but me? i like it, i know it is not the greatest riding car on the face of the earth, but thats for me to make better. right now thats how i want the car to look. it looks alot lower than you think because of the ground effects. can't people just get along without flaming on everyone, other than the ricers? this is a ls motors forum, we all understand one thing, the ls motor is bad ***, how and what you want to do with the car is up to you. just give the ricers hell
refer to my 2nd post in this thread on page 2
Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

everybody has their own car, they can do what they want. i understand most people with camaro or ta's, want to make them really fast. but some just want to do some things different. maybe they just want a show car, maybe some want the best of both worlds. just because some people want to be different, doesn't mean everyone else has to give them tons of ****.
Completely and totally agree with this. I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to rag on you. And the complaints have nothing to do with your car being "different." Its has to do with someone picking poorly engineered (basically ricer) parts, and ironically enough thats exactly why having sportlines is "different", because no one wants them.

i have realized if you post anything other than the normal, run of the mill ****, on this forum, you get flamed on.
This is what everyone says, no matter how "different" their idea is when they get criticized. Everything at one time was "different", and things become a "norm" usually because the idea was beneficial in some way. The bit-Viper antenna mod, the whistler headlight mod, the ceta and berger pannels, for example. Those at one time were different, yet they caught on because they are clean and tasteful mods.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Oh! Well what do you need those springs for anyway? Just toss em out, you can be even lower

In all seriousness though, I don't know how that can ride good at all. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
It doesn't ride too horribly, still have some suspension travel. I rarely ever drive the car, and when I do, I usually drive like a sane person, on smooth roads, never take a hard turn, and I'll never take it to the track or even launch it on the street. If I ever decide to do these things, then I'll pull them off and put something else on it. But for now, I spend more time staring at it in my driveway than driving it.

So in short, yes it does float my boat.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have sportlines, and the car is my daily driver. The ride is a little harsh, but honestly, i got them really cheap, and i LOVE the way they look. I dont mind a harsher ride to get the look i want. Eventualy, one day, i might actually find a reason to go over a speed bump, but until then, my springs are perfect. i love the slammed look on cars. so until i get really serious in racing, im going to go to car shows, and enjoy being 3-4 inches off the ground
Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he's not busting *****. he's speaking the honest truth. and not ONCE did he say buy my springs because sportlines suck. all he said was he will never recommend them to a customer and he gave a legit reason as to why he never will. dont get hurt because someone doesnt like the springs you have on your car.

all he said was he doesnt like the look, or the ride of the car. which is his opinion

your the man sam.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

I really envy you guys who like their sportlines! I'm just so damn picky! It's taken me a good 8yrs(and a lot of money)to finally find a suspension set-up I'm happy with.
Anyway, I glad your happy with you sportlines!
Everybody has different likes/dislikes, there's no need to try to find logic in that.
Your happy with your choices, and that's all that matters!

A Narrow Mind Walks a Narrow path.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

You know what pisses me off? When i think of performance springs i think of Eibach. But i also think what Sam Strano said is true about the performance of these springs. For Eibach to make there top of the line spring ride on its bump stops and not perform as equal to there competition is BS!!! Right now i dont race my car because its slow and with the cost of performace parts($900.00 intake manifolds-$700.00 torque converters-
$500.00 headers) it will be slow for a while. I remember paying $125.00 for an Edelbrock intake on my 86 Monte Carlo SS 355ci and paying $200.00 for ceramic coated headers. Why do LS1 parts have to be so high i remember when 5.0 parts were expensive and GM was reasonable... All in all i still love my T/A
Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wrays96
You know what pisses me off? When i think of performance springs i think of Eibach. But i also think what Sam Strano said is true about the performance of these springs. For Eibach to make there top of the line spring ride on its bump stops and not perform as equal to there competition is BS!!! Right now i dont race my car because its slow and with the cost of performace parts($900.00 intake manifolds-$700.00 torque converters-
$500.00 headers) it will be slow for a while. I remember paying $125.00 for an Edelbrock intake on my 86 Monte Carlo SS 355ci and paying $200.00 for ceramic coated headers. Why do LS1 parts have to be so high i remember when 5.0 parts were expensive and GM was reasonable... All in all i still love my T/A
I'm glad someone was able to understand what I was saying.

Though fwiw, the Sportlines aren't the top of the line performance spring. They are the "looks" spring. The Pro-kit range is the more performance oriented spring set (and that's not even right in the LS1 cars, but better being not as low and a little stiffer too).

If a person is all about the look and to hell with everything else, then Sportlines rock. The thing that those that have experienced different setups can tell those that don't know about different setups is 90% of the time folks end up changing away from Sportlines for various reasons. Could be ride, could be handling, could be because the cars are so low. Not everyone does, and if they float you boat when you honestly weigh how they work and the car drives, then that's fine. But details are usually more than a bit lacking on the descriptions of how they work. The line is normally "I did them, and they are great". Well, we all have tastes that not everyone else likes, and tolerances that not everyone else has.

So here's the deal. If you think Sportlines are the best springs ever... ok. I disagree, and can point to more than a few reasons why (and back them up with data and things that everyone can see like how the car basically sits on the rear bumpstops). Add to that posts and comments by folks who've had those and then other springs, and I can't think of a time I've ever heard anyone say they preferred the Sportlines.

But, because folks are different it's hard to get a perfect sense of what they are after, and there are many that like the look and that's what it's about, period. And again, if that's the case and you love your Sportlines and have the basis to compare them to anything else more power to you. But for someone who'd never had any other setup or springs before to proclaim they are perfect (and wrays96 certainly hasn't), or to attack me for pointing out the issues I and others have is about a dumb as someone who's never driven a car with more than 110hp hopping into a V-6 Camaro and thinking it's a rocket... well all know a comparison is only as good as the items being compared.

Yes, some thing I'm a horrible person for trying to enlighten folks. Many just like to live in their own little make-believe world when every decision they make is correct. I have spoken to so many folks that call me after they goofed and had to spend more money to fix their mistake (not just springs, can be lots of things) that's it's silly. I just want folks to have the best part for their needs the first time so they don't have to spend more money to fix a poor decision. That's all, and if the call was "I want my car low, I don't care about the ride and it's a show car", in that case I would recommend Sportlines....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Though fwiw, the Sportlines aren't the top of the line performance spring. They are the "looks" spring.
Only to a little more than half of the ls1tech community though.. (as long as my poll is an accurate sample space representing the community)

The "hot looks spring" to me is the stock springs
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Sam when im done taking pictures of my car and can afford it ill look you up!!!

Quick Reply: Eibach Sportlines