Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start

ok im a newbie to the suspension world. i have been doing searches for a week and cant find anything on where to start???? i have the performance section done now i wanna start on the suspension. i know i need LCA's to cure the wheel hop but where to go from there. thanks for the help in advance.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suspension end of a car is very important, but also involves many part. Torque arm, Panhard rod, and Lower control arms w/ lca relocates is a good place to start. From there I'd say go with some double adjustable shocks on all four corners. We can get you set up with all of these part, and if you'd like to get them all at once, we will include a 10% discount on AFCO shocks and all of our suspension parts. We also sell BMR's products for street/strip cars. Here is a link to our online catalog.

http://www.madmanandcoracing.com/shop/

There you will find a complete list of all of the products that we sell. If you are interested in placing an order or have any questions, please feel free to call me. We're open during the hours of 8am to 6pm Mon-Fri. Our phone number is 225-673-3533. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

It really depends on what you are wanting out of the car as to where you should start. Is this going to be a car used mainly for street use or track. If it is going to be used on the street you need to think about handling more than launching like you would with a drag car. Drag suspensions can be dangerous on the street so you need to figure out your goals and design the suspension accordingly. Also, you don't always need to replace the LCA's, sometimes upgrading to the moog solid bushings is more than enough.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you would like any help please give us a call to discuss your needs. Our line of products can be seen on our website at www.umiperformance.com.

Thank you!
814-857-5400
Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help but i was jus tryin to find out a order of what parts to buy first. car will be doing everything.. and im not gonaa lower the car so would i need the adjustable stuff or will i be ok with out it?????
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/643950-suspension-mods-real-world.html
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcamaro98
thanks for the help but i was jus tryin to find out a order of what parts to buy first. car will be doing everything.. and im not gonaa lower the car so would i need the adjustable stuff or will i be ok with out it?????
Adjustable parts will give you an advantage when changes are made on your car or you're setting your car up. For instance, when your car is scaled and squared, adjustable lower control arms and an adjustable panhard rod will allow you to get the rear end centered front to rear (lca's) and side to side (phr). Adjustable shocks will allow you to make easy shock changes while at the track. We always recommend using adjustable suspension parts for these reasons if your car will see alot of track time. Give me a call if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help you.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Like others have stated it all depends on what you want out of your car. If your going to the drag strip alot you might want to start out with lca's, relocation brackets, and torque arm. If your into handling, shocks, springs, and a panhard rod are good starting points. You will eventually want to upgrade all these parts but the order that you chose will depend on what your looking for out of your car. If you have any questions please give us a call. Our tech dept is open mon-fri till 6pm est.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcamaro98
Hello,

Please supply us a list of the mods you currently have, what you plan to do in the near future and how you drive the vehicle. Is the car daily driven, drag raced, just a cruiser, autocross? This helps us determine the correct items for your vehicle and to make sure you get the best for your set-up.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Wheelhop isn't always around in every car. The cars that have it, it's not always cured by LCA's and the like. Shocks have a lot to do with it too since compression damping in the shocks is what controls unsprung weight, and the entire axle/wheels&tires/brakes, TA, Swaybar is unsprung weight.

Like the others have said without knowing the wants and the use of the car recommending parts is about impossible and would just be a series of guesses.

I urge you to not assume you *NEED* any particular part until you can assess what the car is doing wrong or that you'd like to change. It clearly seems it wheelhops, but you need to see the big picture before you should get LCA's because it might not be the LCA's. While they might help wheelhop the won't help other potential issues that might be causing both the hop and other things (like say instability and/or ride quality).

I urge you to take some time and speak with vendors--myself included, so you can get a sense of what they think about you situation. I know I ask a number of questions to get a sense of what's "wrong" before I can even start to go over parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!