Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They cant be "worn out" yet..only about 2500 miles on them. I did the 9in and all of the susp. at the same time. I knew it was going to be alot more rigid and tight..giving excess road noise. Which i'm pretty much use to..it is 90% street car so any less road noise would be great. I might just have to try it eventually
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMI long arm with the relocation kit here. I was surprised how it helped the feel of the car on the street. The car had a better straighter launch, less twist and rear end walk. Getting the arm off the trans tail shaft is the first thing every one should do. It has a little more noise.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Me too!

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I have the UMI tunnel mount one and I love it!!
Luv it!

It hooks up hard now!

I set at -3.5 degrees!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tpunk
It's great for drag racing but not for handling. All non decoupling short torque arms offer great launches but will also tend to have brake induced wheel hop. If you drive the car on the street then I would recommend a full length TA. If the car is tracked really often then a tunnle mount is the way to go. I would also suggest you get the 3 pt SFC's with a tunnle mount arm though. This is not a strong area on the car so it's best to sure it up as much as you can.
Wow - I so wish this information was included on UMI's website about this part!

My Trans AM is mostly a street driven car and I litterly just swapped out my long SLP TA w/UMI brace for the UMI shorter TA with the included Loop.

My whole reason for this was to replace non-UMI parts with all UMI parts!

Since UMI doesnt sell a loop individually, I figured the shorter TA with included loop was a good idea.

My god was I wrong.
If I had any idea I'd be sacraficing braking and wheel hop, I would have done things differently.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

In their defense, NONE of the manufacturers of tunnel mounted torque arms have this info listed. I first read about it on Unbalanced Engineering's site a while back and found it interesting. I started looking into it further and asking those who know more than I do about it. After looking at the physics involved it made sense to me. In all honesty, if you aren't hard on the car you may never experience this problem. However, I prefer to have the car set up for emergency situations that can occur on the street over having it set up to be a bit quicker in the 1/4. It's not a bad part, it just might not be the right part. ALWAYS research the product before purchase, even if it is made by someone who only offers quality parts like UMI.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Wow - I so wish this information was included on UMI's website about this part!
Hello,

We try to include as much information in our listings and on our site as possible... from the performance of the item to the build quality. But if you still have questions regarding your set-up and what would work best your are welcome to call and speak with a technical representative to discuss this... we actually prefer this to make sure you receive the best item for your application.

As for the brake hop... this is more of an issue when the vehicle is autocrossed. On a street driven car I don't see this being much of a issue or possible no issue at all.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts

I've never had Brake Hop with my Car, and I've had to get on it a couple of times for them other idiots on the road..
Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,
As for the brake hop... this is more of an issue when the vehicle is autocrossed. On a street driven car I don't see this being much of a issue or possible no issue at all.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
This is true. It's only in the most extreme circumstances that this will rear it's ugly head.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

We try to include as much information in our listings and on our site as possible... from the performance of the item to the build quality. But if you still have questions regarding your set-up and what would work best your are welcome to call and speak with a technical representative to discuss this... we actually prefer this to make sure you receive the best item for your application.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
The problem is I don't always know the question to call and ask addtional informtion for. If I had any question in my mind, about the torque arm's effect on braking, street vs. track, I certainly would have called...but I had no idea this was a possible factor.

Your web-site listings, information and pictures, of all of your products is nothing short of top notch! So an additional short and simple statement about this, on that part specific page would have gone a long way in clueing me in, and prompted a call for more details.

Quick Reply: UMI Torque Arm