Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Torque Arm

I am interested in getting a UMI tunnel mounted torque arm with the front drive shaft loop. I was wondering what peoples opinions on this torque arm were.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's great for drag racing but not for handling. All non decoupling short torque arms offer great launches but will also tend to have brake induced wheel hop. If you drive the car on the street then I would recommend a full length TA. If the car is tracked really often then a tunnle mount is the way to go. I would also suggest you get the 3 pt SFC's with a tunnle mount arm though. This is not a strong area on the car so it's best to sure it up as much as you can.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

what about the spohn: http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...ersY-Pipe.html
Old 11-14-2008, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulals187
Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our product

Our tunnel mounted torque and the Spohn tunnel mounted torque arm bolt in the exact same location and will perform the same. We have found ours to be a little more streetable since we use a polyurethane bushing set-up in the front while Spohn uses a solid bushing on the bottom.

How do you drive your vehicle? Does it see the street a lot? If so how much? How often is it drag raced? Is it ever autocrossed? Let me know and I would be glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like the umi arm for the reasons they already mentioned. Giving them the info they asked for really would help in recommending the best option for you.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

It is a daily driver, sees the strip once every couple months, and will hopefully be autocrossed about the same amount. I drive my car aggressively at times and at other times just calm (to enjoy the drive)
Old 11-14-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

With that type of driving I'd suggest the UMI adjustable full length torque arm (preferably with the relocation kit). The reason for this is that the shorter tunnle mounted arm can cause you to be more likely to have wheel hop under hard braking (extremely bad thing). You won't gain as much at the track with the full length arm but you honestly don't sound like you are that hardcore about it anyway. That is just my suggestion though, wait and see if UMI says something different.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tpunk
With that type of driving I'd suggest the UMI adjustable full length torque arm (preferably with the relocation kit). The reason for this is that the shorter tunnle mounted arm can cause you to be more likely to have wheel hop under hard braking (extremely bad thing). You won't gain as much at the track with the full length arm but you honestly don't sound like you are that hardcore about it anyway. That is just my suggestion though, wait and see if UMI says something different.
Yes this is very well put and what I would have said I would recommend item # 2205 seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2205
Old 11-15-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd agree on the full length with relocation kit also. I have it and am happy with the set-up. Plus i like the fact that the T/A is off the tailshaft now
Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the UMI tunnel mount one and I love it!!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Chris, do you have any problems with wheel hop during breaking?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chris, do you have any problems with wheel hop during breaking?
You already got an answer from the company that makes the product... not sure any more info would really help :shrug:. Even if he hasn't experienced the problem, he might not be as hard on the car as you might be. The fact that the problem is even possible should keep you from wanting to get the part if you don't track the car very often. I'll see if I can dig up a vid of what brake induced wheel hop looks like, it is not fun or pretty.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I have the UMI with the d/s loop. I love and havent had any issues to date. Actually everything under the car is UMI sfc's, phb,lca's, torque arm. Everything is top notch. I think you have your answer
Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

What ta would you recommend for me? The car sees the track 2-3 times a month, and it is my daily. i do not do autocross. the only racing i do is in a straight line.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kdavis
What ta would you recommend for me? The car sees the track 2-3 times a month, and it is my daily. i do not do autocross. the only racing i do is in a straight line.
As long as you don't mind a slight increase in road noise I would suggest one of our tunnel mounted torque arms for your situation. I posted the models we have available below... if you have any questions please ask.

www.umiperformance.com/2200
www.umiperformance.com/2201
www.umiperformance.com/2202
www.umiperformance.com/2203

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the Tunnel-Brace mounted Torque Arm with the DS Loop and for a Street Driver I have never had any problems with the Car. It still Brakes good, and handles. I guess it depends on how hard you have your Suspension to get any Wheelhop, I've Braked hard with it, really hard, and have had nothing come loose on me at all.

I have however ripped it off the bottom of the Car, the factory mounts for that are very weak, and I'm re-enforcing them when I have the chance to get in there and do that.

Last edited by the_merv; 11-17-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

i have stock suspension, minus an airbig spring
Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

If you plan to autox at all, you'll want the full length arm. Unless you plan on like autoxing once and thinking you might set up an all out drag car that's going to pull the front wheels.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
As long as you don't mind a slight increase in road noise I would suggest one of our tunnel mounted torque arms for your situation. I posted the models we have available below... if you have any questions please ask.
Thank you!
Ryan
One thing that took some getting use too is the added road noise I have the full length T/A with relocation kit, Poly/Rod LCA's and PHB. I seen you guys sell replacment poly ends. If i put those in place of the rod ends to make them both poly ends..would it make much of a difference??
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by litemup02
One thing that took some getting use too is the added road noise I have the full length T/A with relocation kit, Poly/Rod LCA's and PHB. I seen you guys sell replacment poly ends. If i put those in place of the rod ends to make them both poly ends..would it make much of a difference??
Yes the poly ends we sell are designed to replace worn out rod ends... if you are sure the rod ends are making the noise then these would make a big difference!

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!

Ryan

Quick Reply: UMI Torque Arm