Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Machine shop??/ Rotor work help??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machine shop??/ Rotor work help??

I realize these arent for my fbody but the brake section here seemed like the only sensible place to post it. I bought from a seller (long story of who and where so lets leave it out lol) a set of rotors for a Volvo s40 t5 (5cyl turbo). the first time around he sends me rotors for the crappy 4cyl model that are too small and have only 4 lugs. After weeks he says he picked up rotors from Volvo and did his drill/slot work to em. I finally go to put these "volvo" rotors in, and guess what now theyre too big on the diameter by approx 1/4 inch.

can the diameter of the rotors be shaved/machined down just a hair so that they will work or are they something that cant be touched once manufactured? its ridiculous u can see in the pictures in total they are almost a half inch too big (.25 on each side) but i dont think i'll be able to send these rotors back. BTW if it is possible, anyone who knows a good machine shop please pm me.

mods... if this is in the wrong place please let me know but the brake section here seemed to make the most sense.

pix of the retartedness for your enjoyment!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If they were to be turned down looks like it would put the drilled holes too close to the edge of the rotor and resulting in a weaker rotor, probably end up with stress fractures and start cracking.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

i just took these quick to get an idea how close to teh edge of the rotor we'd be lookin at

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Teching In

If the seller isn't giving you what you paid for, I think that's the problem that needs to be fixed.

I don't know what would happen if you machined the rotors. Are the center sections the same size? If that's larger too, your calipers might not fit anyway.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

the rotors fit on exactly how theyre supposed to. the freakin diameter is just a quarter inch too big. the caliper and everything fits on but when u go to line up the mounting holes (it has one of those calipers where the holes to mount it are part of the caliper and theres a separate bracket that holds the pads on thats attached next to the piston---- basically its a different 2 piece than the norm fbody one.)
the mounting holes are about 1/4" inch too far out because the rotor is too big. Its frustrating because EVERYTHING else is good they line up with the lugs perfect.

Im trying to get in touch with him again its been about a month since i got these back so. and im still trying to figure out how these couldve came from volvo yet have a 1/4" larger diameter.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Machining the outer diameter to fit will work with little ill affect.

In our road racing series, we are limited on the overall diameter of the rotors, but not thickness. Lots of Mustang racers use Crown Vic Police package rotors, machine off the 14" over size and race the hell out of them.

Just make sure you get the edges chamfered or rounded.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

do you think the drilled holes being about 1/8" or so away from the edge will make the rotor too weak like someone else said??
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Probably
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

so in general turning down isnt a problem but it wont work for these...
Old 12-08-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

That would be my opinion. I have no data to back it up and especially on Volvo rotors.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

ive never heard of stress fractures with rotors before but when they happen do they cause catastrophic failure (ex. the rotors breaks apart while in motion causing serious problem!)??
Old 12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If left cracking long enough I am sure that is just how it ends. High speed rotating mass of metal breaking apart you do the math. Not a good scenario at all
Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seldom will they explode, but they will catastrophically fail.

It's typically a through-wall crack that is seen radially on the rotor face to the rotor edge. When cold and you mash the brake pedal, you will hear a "thump" each time the crack shears it's way through the pad material and you will feel a slight pulse in the brake pedal.

And, I have seen the crack close when you get some heat in them and the metal expands.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

you think it would be safe to turn em down and put em on the car but visually check em on a dailyish basis? and if a crack is found replace em with plain stockers? or would that be betting against the devil so to speak?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Brother, I'm not sure what your attempting to accomplish.

Are rotors for this car that hard to find and that expensive?

The cost of machining alone will will be $50-100 each I would guess.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

its a long story, there were supposed to be the right ones that the guy who does the drilling/slotting bought from volvo because he couldnt get the right rotor from his manufacturer. I am trying everything i can to get back in touch with him but its not looking so good, so basically i have rotors that fit the car every way except they are .25" too big in radius (.5 across) im simply trying to find out if it possible/ safe if they can be turned down as i dont have many options, besides the fact that i cant even figure out wtf car these belong on.

i know youre gunna say told you so but i have never had a problem with ebay rotors before and a month ago the seller did take care of me, up until i got these wrong ones back so.....

Quick Reply: Machine shop??/ Rotor work help??