Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

double adj torque arm vs lca relo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double adj torque arm vs lca relo's

this may be a really dumb *** question, but if ur car is lowered and u plan on doing the adj ta is there really a need to do the lca relo's too?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

i would say yes they are still needed i would even say that the relo's might do more for traction than the aj t/a.
i have both and i can say that the relo's helped more but even with all that i still had traction problems so the best thing for traction is your tires.
i went from falken street tires to nitto drags and it was night and day.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjakester
this may be a really dumb *** question, but if ur car is lowered and u plan on doing the adj ta is there really a need to do the lca relo's too?
To get the lower control arm geometry correct once you lower the car you will need the relocation brackets. Technically you can still drive around without them but to get the most out of your suspension they are a must. When you get ready to purchase your parts give BMR consideration. We have been the leader in aftermarket f body suspension for over 10 years. Here is a link to our site, if you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You would not need adjustable control arms if the vehicle is lowered.. like mentioned we do however recommend the control arm relocation brackets which will work with non adjustable controls. These allow you to lower the vehicle but still maintain the control arm at the correct angle and prevent any traction loss. With out the relocation brackets lowering the vehicle may result in additional traction loss.

If you have any questions please ask and I will be glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, what they said. Its not as much pinion angle, as it is suspension geometry. I didnt have them on the 02 we sold, which was lowered, and traction was a pain in the ***.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

so you dont need adjustable lca's even if the car is lowered ?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that UMI recommends not getting adjustable, and I respect their opinion. However, consider this:
You are already going to be spending money on the arms, why not shell out some more coin and get their single adjustable. They have two advantages over their non-adjustable: First, the rod end allows articulation, which will make your car handle better. Second, the adjustment allows the alignment shop (or you for that matter) to align the wheels front to rear. Just another way to fine tune your suspension.
And if you lower the car, the relocation brackets are a must.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wiktorek25
so you dont need adjustable lca's even if the car is lowered ?
No you would not need adjustable control arms on a lowered car... I would recommend a adjustable panhard bar though and if traction is a concern a set of control arm relocation brackets.

There is some cases when adjustable control arms are needed and used like mentioned but lowering the car will not effect the length.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

While I agree with Ryan from UMI, I went with ADJ LCAs and PHB because I would raher by something once and know if I need to ADJ it I can than having to buy something twice.

It's always better to buy something and not necessarily need it's feature, than buy something and then have to buy the other model.....because the one you have won't work....

Just a thought.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
While I agree with Ryan from UMI, I went with ADJ LCAs and PHB because I would raher by something once and know if I need to ADJ it I can than having to buy something twice.

It's always better to buy something and not necessarily need it's feature, than buy something and then have to buy the other model.....because the one you have won't work....

Just a thought.
Yes I agree with you 100%... the problem we find these days is price, most people don't want to spend the extra few bucks and when you try to make a recommendation like that they think you are trying to get more money out of them So they tend to lean towards the less expensive items... which sometimes can cost them twice as much in the future.

If someone calls in and speaks with a tech rep we try to go over all that with them and there future possibilities to prevent this. E-mail, PMs and posting is harder to get all the information across.

Ryan
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest issue I have with the non-adjustable LCAs is that you are assuming that the wheels were aligned front to rear correctly at the factory. Well, I thought so about left to right also until I measured it. The passenger's side stuck out 13/16" more than the driver's side. One UMI single adjustable PHB and two adjustments later, they now are the same on both sides.
I haven't measured front to rear yet, but I have no more faith that it is correct either. Perhaps the customer should measure before making a purchase, so they get the proper part the first time?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely don't need them. But you might want them depending on what you do.

Do you drag race? Then getting them would be wise. The angle of the ctrl arms caused by lowering the car hinders straight line traction.

Do you drive easy on the street for a daily driver? Then you don't need them. Waste of money in my opinion here.

Do you like to rip burnouts on the street and get wheel hop? Then relo's would help prevent wheel hop. Shocks will too.

Do you autox or road race? The angle caused by lowering is sort of good for racing in my opinion and preference. Depending on the angle if upward or downward has an effect on the axle pointing slight left or right when the car rolls in a turn. That's the super basic explaination here without going into any detail... (I'm lazy) so in this case... no you don't need them here either
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I would wait until you can afford ADJ parts, it's worth it in the long run. This is coming from someone that has non adjustable parts on previous cars and had to upgrade [ aka spend my money twice ].
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went with everything adjustable.

Quick Reply: double adj torque arm vs lca relo's