Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

koni knocking

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default koni knocking

I just went from QA1's to Koni's and now when i go over pot holes or speedumps a get a wierd knock coming from the shocks i believe. I have triple checked everything making sure everything is tight and there is nothing loose. i can feel the knocking through the pedals and on big holes i can feel it through the steering wheel. Anyone have this problem?????
Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Check the swaybar mounts. I know you said you triple checked but Im just guessing where you could be getting feed back thru the steering and pedals. Or a bad lower balljoint. Have you gotten the car aligned at all? does it sit lower than before?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you install the washers that came with the shocks?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Teching In

it feels like its coming from the sway bar links but i have tightened them down more to make sure its not that. for some reason those links snapped from the QA1's so i had to buy new ones form napa and i got the upgraded version with better bushings but i dont think that could be it. as far as that washer i did not put that on figuring there was no need for it since the mounts are surrounded by rubber. that could be the reason tho
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SShag
it feels like its coming from the sway bar links but i have tightened them down more to make sure its not that. for some reason those links snapped from the QA1's so i had to buy new ones form napa and i got the upgraded version with better bushings but i dont think that could be it. as far as that washer i did not put that on figuring there was no need for it since the mounts are surrounded by rubber. that could be the reason tho
The washers are required. Symptoms like these are usually from not installing those washers.

Even though it's a lot of trouble, it's best to install those washers, then see if the noise goes away.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SShag
Yep, washer is required. You should have searched there is another thread just like this one.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Missing washers can do it. But usually it's the top nut that holds the upper shock mount on not being tight (and it happens on all shocks, this isn't a Koni thing). Often guys compress the spring only enough to get the shock mount on and the nut started. The nut cannot compress the spring, so it feels as though it gets tight. But it's not if you are going against spring tension.

The spring MUST be compressed enough so it does not push against the upper mount at all until the shock is assembled and tightened completely. Then uncompress the spring.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Teching In

That seems to be the problem, i did only get the nut on there enough to keep the rubber mount on so i am sure that spring/shock is loose. how far should i go down with the nut, until the threads bottom out? and i will make sure to put the washer on as well. thank u guys for the info and i will let u know if it solves the problem. Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I would agree that you should completely compress the spring so that its not pushing against you tightening the nut. I don't remember being unsure on how far to tighten it. I think it was pretty clear that the upper mount should have been tightened pretty well against the upper part of the shock. Just make sure the spring is compressed down good enough so that it's not even in the way.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

And that's the kind of information you can't get from ebay...
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: koni knocking