Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some info on ls1/C5 brake calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on ls1/C5 brake calipers...

Hello all, Nice site here with lots of info. Though I don't own a f-body, I am going to be doing some stuff to my truck that will be using some f body parts. I have a 1991 GMC Syclone which I will be upgrading the brakes. I have the kit which will allow me to upgrade to the ls1 fbody brakes. Now here is where my question is. I have access to a friend that may have a new set of C5 Z06 front and rear calipers that I can get for a good price. I have done alot of reading here today, from what I gather I can but I want to be 100% sure on the info before I commit to my friend for those calipers. Can I use the c5 calipers on the ls1 brakets and rotor? Basically do the install but the only thing different is use the c5 caliper instead of the ls1 caliper. And if this is the case, do I use ls1 pads or c5 pads?

As for the rear, it will have the ls1 backing plate, rotor and braket, is the c5 rear caliper good here also? And if so, which pad do I use, C5 or ls1?

Thank you for your time,
Rob
Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The answer to both depends on the rotor you want to use. With a C5 rotor (12.8") you will have to use a bracket to move the caliper out from the center of the hub. In doing so, you would be best served using C5 pads.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lo_jack
The answer to both depends on the rotor you want to use. With a C5 rotor (12.8") you will have to use a bracket to move the caliper out from the center of the hub. In doing so, you would be best served using C5 pads.
I will be using the 12" ls1 rotor so that I can still use the stock 16" wheel. and for the rear, I will be using the stock fbody diameter rotor.(can't recall right now)
Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

good luck with this brake upgrade. i have some LS1 front and rear calipers from an '01 SS if you find out you cant use the C5 calipers for some reason.

Quick Reply: Need some info on ls1/C5 brake calipers...