Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rate my suspension choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmexican
So konis would work best with my BMR springs?
Originally Posted by Adam1982
The point is, you shouldnt look at each suspension part as working independently (ex. lowering springs with Billstiens). Once all the correct pieces are together they work in unison to create a a desired end product. Getting SFCs before something like shocks will probably do little for how the car rides / handles etc. Upgrading the shocks should be one of if not the first suspension mod you do, hell, first mod to the car entirely. The best advice you will get is to purchase a set of Koni shocks (unless you car is all out drag, then I wouldnt know what to tell you). I also wondered about the value of them before I purchased them, even made a thread on here asking opinions. Finally i decided to get them and loved them, I am now on my second set of Konis (second car) and if i ever need shocks again I will gladly fork over the cash for another set. You can probably get a bunch of different answers on the rest of your setup, but shocks will be almost unanimous for Konis.
italicized & bolded for the viewing impaired and I believe the 1st set of konis and attached car were hurricaned
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Konis are the best for our cars period, unless you're ready to fork over 2-3x that much coin or have a dedicated, track-only, drag car. I wish I had spent the extra $500 and gotten the Konis, my Bilsteins are starting to feel like 70k mile shocks.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ScrapSilicon
italicized & bolded for the viewing impaired and I believe the 1st set of konis and attached car were hurricaned

Indeed it was hurricaned. Good thing my insurance took care of me.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already know that Konis will make my car handle good but Im concerned about performance at the track and launching my car
Old 12-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Konis certainely arent the ONLY shock out there. If you have concerns, heres what you should do. Call the guys at BMR and ask what they recommend to go with their springs for your goals. Call Sam and tell him what you want the car to do and see what he says. Talk to the experts and get some professional opinions and go from there.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam1982
Konis certainely arent the ONLY shock out there. If you have concerns, heres what you should do. Call the guys at BMR and ask what they recommend to go with their springs for your goals. Call Sam and tell him what you want the car to do and see what he says. Talk to the experts and get some professional opinions and go from there.

thanks I am already contacting BMR
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I already know that Konis will make my car handle good but Im concerned about performance at the track and launching my car

Konis are prolly the best shock to launch on if you have lowering springs and want an all around car. I have seen guys cutting 1.6x 60's on them.

As soon as we get a warm Sunday here and they open track I'll post back with my 60' times now that I FINALLY have some DR's

My advice is to nut up for the Konis first and see where you stand with them. Then decide where you need to go from there. I can promise you the Konis will surprise you though
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Konis are great for dampening lowering springs. They probably aren't ideal for drag racing if you want to go hardcore, but neither are lowering springs. Probably want to ask someone in the drag racing section. I browse in there sometimes. Whether or not there's a Strano of drag racing in there, I don't know, but there is a few guys who claim to be the fastest 4th gen in the country. I'd guess one of them might know something about the way to go with suspension. Some of them are going ~7 seconds or under possibly.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^
He obviously doesn't want a drag only car since he is talking about BMR lowering springs... If you plan to run your car mostly on the street with a little track now and then I think Konis are hard to beat. They 60' REALLY well for a handling spring.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree, for a car going to the track once in a while, I would think Koni's are perfectly fine. I'm no expert, but it's what I'd use. And if I was a in the same boat, I'd use stock springs as well. I don't care a lot about lowering the car for looks reasons as I've mentioned in previous threads
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I had Koni's on my Integra, and they're recommended a ton for Hondas w/ lowering springs. I loved them so much I searched on here about them.

Guess what?

Same thing.

I just bought some slightly used rear Konis for my TA for a hell of a deal. If you would have been looking for Konis you would have beat me out to them.

I want a good/great handling street caR, maybe to autox, and drag on occasion.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

sorry for triple post

Last edited by integraxtc; 01-03-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: browser took a dump.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry for the triple post, my browser took a dump

so I edited the comment.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, it sounds like you need to decide what you want the car to do: handle or launch. You've got lowering springs and an stb which make me think you want it to handle, but no front sway bar and talking about getting a BMR extreme rear bar would say drag racing. It sounds like you're trying to put some parts from either extreme together, and I don't think they're going to match too well.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the slp bilsteins re-valved to work with aftermarket springs?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

SLP shocks were valves to work ideally with SLP springs. They will work with any spring, but may not dampen them to mine or other people's standards. Ride quality is very subjective though and some people might think they are the best shocks in the world.

Regardless.... you can go whatever way you want to. Lowering springs aren't ideal for drag racing. Sometimes I feel compelled to do certain things in the past and then took a step back and asked myself "why?"... maybe this is one of those cases. You put on lowering springs, it's gonna hurt weight transfer. If you put on stock springs, you might not get the "look" or "stance" you want but have better weight transfer. One thing's gotta give. You choose which one it's gonna be.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

i really don't think your plan is all that bad. just don't get HD's for lowering springs. go with bilstein revalves if you can't afford koni's, otherwise search the classifieds to see if you can get a good deal.

at least put the swaybar back on for the street if you get a drag bar for the rear, and you might wanna take the strut tower brace off. it's just adding weight. i'd also consider some bolt in relocation brackets while you're still on the stock rear. they helped traction a LOTTT for me after i lowered.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
i really don't think your plan is all that bad. just don't get HD's for lowering springs. go with bilstein revalves if you can't afford koni's, otherwise search the classifieds to see if you can get a good deal.

at least put the swaybar back on for the street if you get a drag bar for the rear, and you might wanna take the strut tower brace off. it's just adding weight. i'd also consider some bolt in relocation brackets while you're still on the stock rear. they helped traction a LOTTT for me after i lowered.
Thanks yea I am not getting bilstein hd's..im looking for revalved ones, and I plan on adding new aftermarket rear and front sway bars

Quick Reply: Rate my suspension choice