Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats wrong with turning cross drilled/ slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats wrong with turning cross drilled/ slotted rotors?

I was just wondering why it isn't recomended to get cross drilled/ slotted rotors turned when they start to warp?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Whats wrong with turning cross drilled/ slotted rotors?

Usually the slots/drilled holes will loosen the bit on the brake lathe and eventually the bit may come loose and gouge the rotor and possibly damage the brake lathe).

I ran into the same problem long ago trying to turn a 16 lb flywheel (I don't believe in turning flywheels these days....they should be ground by a machine shop). The pressure plate bolts were on "stand offs" on the edge of the flywheel. Those stand offs worked the bit loose on the brake lathe and proceeded to cut some nasty gouges in my flywheel before the bit finally came loose and jammed the lathe. It only took a few rotations of the lathe while cutting the standoffs before the bit started to come loose.

Based on this experience, I'd not try turning drilled or slotted rotors. You may be able to get the ground (the best way to do them) by a machine shop, but I have not tried this.

Just my experience....
Old 10-05-2003, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks trackbird
Old 10-06-2003, 02:09 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Cross drilled and slotted rotors must be ground becauseof the aforementioned reasons. Butif therotors need grinding then common sense says they need replacing. North America is the only place that I can think of that allows turning of rotors as standard trade practice. Minor grooving is acceptable . If proper bedding procedures are followed, the pads will bed to he rotor.
Hope this helps a little

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with turning cross drilled/ slotted rotors?