Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lateral Sway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lateral Sway?

A little background on my car before I start.

Stock 6er - T-Top Conversion - UMI Tubular 3pt SFC's - original stock suspension - 96k miles.

Ok, after I did the T-Top Conversion I noticed the chassis got sloppy. The *** end was dancing around more than it should, etc... So I put the UMI SFC's on and all was well. But now every now and then (mostly on the highway) the car feels like it's swaying back and forth. I don't think the car is actually weaving back and forth, I think it's more in the suspension. Any ideas what could cause this? My best guess is the shocks are old and warn and can't handle that the chassis is stiffer now.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished putting my UMI single-adjustable LCA's and PHB on yesterday and I noticed quite a bit of stability added to the 'feel' of the rear end. It seems much more smooth, solid, and stable when accelerating through turns. This combined with my BMR's boxed 2-pt weld-in subframe connectors I've had already for the past year and that helped out a lot as far as making the car feel stronger over all.

The shocks and springs are really there to control the up and down movement of the car, although they do lower the center of gravity (if you lower the car) which will have a slight affect the lateral movement of the car left to right, but things like the sway bars have a bit more to do with lateral motion.

Sponsor feel free to chime in and you should check out some of the stickys at the top of the suspension section.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be to look at the panhard bar. I always found the back end of my Firebird to be a little wiggley, but when I went to rod/rod lca's, I could really feel it. I've got another PHB, and I can't wait to get it on.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been thinking about it today and here's the list I've thought up:

- tires need aligned: maybe they're out of toe and fighting each other
- sway bar bushings / bolts loose
- panhard bar
- shocks