Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

going to do my springs on my own

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default going to do my springs on my own

how hard is it do do lowering spring by yourself ill have a few buddies to help and ill be renting a bay on ft hood which has a lift and should have all the needed tools. anywho do you guys have any tips for me? whats the do it yourself university site for ls1 tech im on my wifes laptop and i dont have the bookmark.

thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

its easy, i think ls1howto has a write up also. Make sure you have a spring compressor for the fronts.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

IMO, be prepared to encounter severe rust in the upper mount/shock shaft.
If you still have the original factory shocks on the car , replace them. And possibly the upper mount,depending on it's condition.

Also when reassembling the shock assembly give all exposed metal surface ( upper mount/shock shaft) a good coat of anti-seize, or synthetic grease.

Give yourself plenty of time; less chance of forgetting to do something, or making a mistake!

And YES, a good spring compressor is a must!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 one the rusted out upper shock mount.....I found out that the parts store didnt stock them and nor are they cheap
Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

well when i got my car last year it only had 8k on the clock so im going to assume that it was garage kept. whats the ls1howto website?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm actually in the middle of doing a write up on disassembling and re-assembling the whole front suspension on these cars. It will probably be 1 more week before I complete it.

The bottom line is that if you have all the right tools, this is a really easy job. It becomes more difficult as fasteners start to corrode, but it can be overcome with heat, penetrating oil and big lever arm.

If you have never used a spring compressor before, be carefull, there's alot of energy in a compressed coil spring so never put your face or body in the direct path of the potential flight path of the spring. Treat it like a loaded gun, and you should be OK.

One other thing, get all the fastener torque specs prior to tearing the car apart. It will make assembly go much better.