Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered f-body's at a disadvantage when launching?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowered f-body's at a disadvantage when launching?

All else being equal (nittos, mods, driver, etc)...

Do cars that have been lowered with a spring kit such as the Eibach springs with relocation brakets + panhard rod, have less traction than un-lowered cars, during launch?

Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Lowered f-body's at a disadvantage when launching?

Not less traction, but less potential for traction. A stock height car transfers its weight over the rear axle much easier than a lowered car during a launch. That transferred weight is what keeps the rear tires planted. Of course, this really only applies to radial tire cars and such. If you ever slap some real slicks on there, they will hook anyways.

Tony
Old 10-08-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

just an opinion here, but I always find it interesting that people who post about terrible 60' or bad times usually have a lowering kit listed in their sig and big fat wheels up front. Just an observation. But from what I understand that is what the adjustable lower control arms with relocation brackets are for...someone correct me if I am wrong on that one.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With relocation brackets you can get the geometry back to stock or even better than stock depending on the brackets and how much the car was lowered. The other problem is that lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs and this works to defeat the all important weight transfer. That's why I cut my factory springs instead of using a lowering kit. That kept the spring rate pretty close to stock. I can pull low 1.6 60fts on drag radials.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Hmpft... Look in my sig at my time... and my 60'... and that was on drag radials and my car is lowered 1" with all the goodies (PH and LCAs)
Old 10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

I should have added to that statement - 2.14 on drag radials...
Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Colonel pointed out the other problem with lowering springs, they are stiffer than stock springs and do not allow as much weight transfer. Track prep will also vary, just because you get crappy 60' times at one track, that might not be the case at another track. It also varies nightly at the same track.

Tony
Old 10-09-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's right. Sometimes the track starts off great and then an hour or two later it goes away. You can pack it up and head home at that point. There's not much you can do with a slick and/or dirty track.

You guys pulling 2.x 60s on drag radials either don't know how to do a proper drag radial burnout or are on REALLY crappy tracks.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Launching!

I pulled a 2.04 on some futura tires my 1st time to the track with my car. Stock suspension.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea it's a tough choice for me because I can cut 1.94's all day on stock F1's (10,000mi on them) but I love the look of lowered f-body's
Old 10-09-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just an opinion here, but I always find it interesting that people who post about terrible 60' or bad times usually have a lowering kit listed in their sig and big fat wheels up front. Just an observation. But from what I understand that is what the adjustable lower control arms with relocation brackets are for ...
someone correct me if I am wrong on that one.
Ok.....(but only partially)

Adjustable LCA's do not need to be adjustable. Somebody in marketing decided that they could add another feature to their product (that screwed together...because it had to be assembled somehow) by listing it as adjustable. There are only a few cases where you would ever actually adjust them.

1. You welded on your LCA relocation brackets....and screwed it up and the axle is in the wrong place.

2. The car was hit (in an accident) hard and it is the only way to make it drive straight.

3. You bought an aftermarket 12 bolt/9" and they screwed up the bracket design or installation.

There are not many (if any) good reasons to adjust them. Ever.

Many people have been convinced that they need "adjustable" LCA's and nobody ever told them what they would do for them (or how to adjust them). For the Heim/Heim LCA's, it is simple. Heim joints are threaded (not all, but the ones we commonly use) and it is easier to make LCA's out of straight tubing with threads inside it and screw the ends into the tube (calling it adjustable is almost a joke). The funniest thing yet is the new design from BMR who actually went out of their way to make their poly/poly LCA's adjustable (thus screwing up a prefectly acceptable design....as poly/poly designs go). The biggest challenge with adjustable LCA's is setting them to the stock length and getting them even (and then getting the jam nuts locked down, without "twisting" the rod ends). You will never touch them again (unless the nuts come loose). Which reminds me of an observation by a well respected suspension person here on the board who mentioned that the new BMR design will "always be loose". Since the poly doesn't allow any give and the axle will rotate during it's travel, it will keep twisting the jam nuts loose. A pothole on one side loosens the front nut, a pothole on the other side loosens the rear nut. Sounds like fun to me!

As for the relocation brackets. They help acceleration by correcting the rear suspension geometry (and allowing it to lift the chassis to plant the tires). The bad news is that by doing so, they may (under some conditions) create "brake hop" (like wheel hop, but when slowing down aggressively). However, for drag race use, they do a great job.

As always...my thoughts....
Old 10-09-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

While most of the time you will not adjust the LCAs, but some people do go drag racing - in which case you can use them to center your wheels and adjust for rubbing, etc.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

I was only able to cut 2.06's on worn out F1's in a M6.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While most of the time you will not adjust the LCAs, but some people do go drag racing - in which case you can use them to center your wheels and adjust for rubbing, etc.
I am not oblivious to the plight of the drag racers, but I can't say I've ever seen a set on a stock, unbent, car need adjusted (or where adjustment has helped), but I'm always open to new ideas. I have only seen that done to correct for brackets, new rear end assmeblies and such, but somebody will always prove me wrong. Interesting....

Quick Reply: Lowered f-body's at a disadvantage when launching?