Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

knock after shock install, also a squeek

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default knock after shock install, also a squeek

After installing my KYB adjustable shocks on my 01 camaro, I have been getting a loud knocking while going over bumps on the front passenger side wheel well. I took the assembly off, compressed the spring, and tightened the hell out of it with vice grips and everything... still getting the knock. I read on KYB's site that they think it could be mounting hardware like the top boot that the strut goes through w/ the 2 bolts sticking out that the top a-arm goes over(not sure what its called). I dont see how this could be, it didnt do this at all before. Sam thinks it could be the shock itself which is what im thinking as well. any suggestions?

Here is a link to KYB's site where they list what the knocking could be from. Not sure if anyone has experienced this knocking and had a fix to it. If you scroll down itll say "what causes my vehicle to make clunking noises"
http://www.kybagx.com/faq.asp

Also after installing my BMR front/rear sway bars and BMR on car adjustable panhard bar, I started to get a squeeking sound coming from the rear I believe. Do i need more grease in the fitting?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your talking about the strut mount. The rubber pieace with the two bolts sticking out?...hmm Ide def check to see if youve tightened it under the hood good enough.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekey
I think your talking about the strut mount. The rubber pieace with the two bolts sticking out?...hmm Ide def check to see if youve tightened it under the hood good enough.
its definately tight enough... I compressed the spring again and retightened with vice grips and a wrench. Turned it until I couldnt turn anymore.

Quick Reply: knock after shock install, also a squeek