Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Still a rough ride after almost complete suspension swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still a rough ride after almost complete suspension swap

I have an 01 Camaro with 96k miles, DD and im assuming some parts are getting worn out that I should ask about. In the past few months I have put on hotchkis springs, KYB adjustable shocks(I know koni is better and thats in the future), BMR on car adjustable panhard bar, and BMR front/rear sway bars. My problem is im still getting a pretty harsh ride, body roll is tons better but when I go over large bumps or cracks in the road I get a banging noise and damn near no give. The KYB's helped the ride alot. What should I be replacing? Ive heard of people replacing the ball-joints, is there anything else? Should I look into replacing anything on the A-Arms or LCAs?

PS... I would have searched but didnt really know what to search for since I dont know names of parts to replace.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
I have an 01 Camaro with 96k miles, DD and im assuming some parts are getting worn out that I should ask about. In the past few months I have put on hotchkis springs, KYB adjustable shocks(I know koni is better and thats in the future), BMR on car adjustable panhard bar, and BMR front/rear sway bars. My problem is im still getting a pretty harsh ride, body roll is tons better but when I go over large bumps or cracks in the road I get a banging noise and damn near no give. The KYB's helped the ride alot. What should I be replacing? Ive heard of people replacing the ball-joints, is there anything else? Should I look into replacing anything on the A-Arms or LCAs?

PS... I would have searched but didnt really know what to search for since I dont know names of parts to replace.
Lowering springs and possibly the wrong dampening are probably whats giving the harsh ride... you might be hitting the bump stops as well. Sam Strano is the shock and spring guru , maybe PM or Email him for suggestions.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

how big are your wheels/tires? if you have smaller tires, it will be a rough ride no matter what you do.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Assuming your shocks have been played with, inspect your bushings, tie-rods, and ball joints. Also, what specific type of work has been done on the backside? If you have rod/rod, the noise may be just road noise and need the jambs/mount points tightened. Where is it most harsh/noisy; front/rear, left/right, all over?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shadow1999
Assuming your shocks have been played with, inspect your bushings, tie-rods, and ball joints. Also, what specific type of work has been done on the backside? If you have rod/rod, the noise may be just road noise and need the jambs/mount points tightened. Where is it most harsh/noisy; front/rear, left/right, all over?
where would all of these be located? my rear sway bar are poly bushings, as well as my panhard bar. the rough ride is all over, its only really when I go over a crack or something of that sort in the road.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro

Is this ALL of your suspension mods? Do you have aftermarket wheels/tires? What do you have tire pressure set at(check now, don't guess)?
First off lowering springs and larger swaybars will make ride quality more harsh over stock (although from my experience a larger front swaybar had no negative effect on ride quality). If you are going solely for ride quality then go back to stock springs and the stock rear swaybar. You can have an incredibly "tight/solid" feeling car with stock springs, stock swaybars and konis IMO.
Next this "banging" noise, does it sound like two parts hitting, does it feel like something is loose? Can you describe it better? Your torque arm could be loose, your LCA's could be loose or your Y-pipe may be hitting the floor boards (all common "banging/clunking" noises).
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Launching!

I use to have the hotchkis springs with the stock shocks and they were stiff. I now have eiback springs with bilstein shocks and having both springs and shocks are still not as stiff as the hotchkis springs alone. But its also what JD AMG said about your shocks.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

basically im not looking to change anything about my suspension, eventually I will go to the strano springs/koni 4/4 setup but thatll set me back some major cash. I like the aftermarket parts I currently have. The sway bars are great and I love my stance so im not gonna go to stock springs either. What im looking to change are parts that get worn out from miles, tie-rods, ball-joints, and anything else yall might want to lead me towards.

Last edited by 01CaMMMaro; 02-16-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Still a rough ride after almost complete suspension swap