Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to do an alignment yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to do an alignment yourself?

My car is pulling to the right, I don't want to take it to a shop to get it aligned because I need to replace the steering rack, and I may not have the money or time to do that for a couple of months. I'm taking a trip soon about 500 miles and I don't want my tires to wear uneven.

What all is involved in doing a self-alignment?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Launching!

Your not going to get it exact. Spend the 60 bucks and have it done. Just tell them to ignore the rack. Or im sure you can google the procedure and the proper toe / caster/ camber specs and do it yourself, it you can get under the car with the tires contacting the ground flat. Shouldnt take more than a few wrenches to adjust the tie rods. Caster camber is beyond my scope of knowledge.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find the specs you need I am sure but without the equipment how will you know when you hit the specs you need. Just pay the 60 bucks and tell them to ignore the rack like oberth suggested.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

if u have to ask, get it done professionally with someone able to use the correct, up-to-date alignment machines. they use lazers and computers and are pretty precise
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Depending on what is wrong with your rack, you may not be ABLE to get/keep alignment. Best you can do without an alignment rack is get in the ballpark. Spend the $60 or sacrifice your front tires, you decide.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I would suggest if you wanna do it yourself to just adjust the tie rod if your camber is good. Unless it pulls REALLY hard. You might not get it perfect but it will be better.

How bad is it? Check your tire pressure. test drive it, adjust, test drive, adjust..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a tie rod issue. a tie rod issue wont hold alignment
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

Depending on the problem with the rack you can get a good alignment now.
They will adjust the caster, camber, toe, center the steering wheel.

When you get a new rack all you have to mess with is toe and centering the steering wheel. And thats the easiest thing to do at home with basic tools. You cannot do caster and camber without the right tools and guarantee it won't wear the tires.

If your bad rack is causing tire wear, then so be it, take your trip, wear the tires, fix the rack, then get an alignment.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the car is pulling, that is generally a caster/camber issue. THese are not easily adjusted yourself and even if you did it, you would need a digital gauge (old style bubble gauges are not accureate enough to do it right) that would cost 3x as much as the shop will charge to align it in the first place.

Re'
Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
If the car is pulling, that is generally a caster/camber issue. THese are not easily adjusted yourself and even if you did it, you would need a digital gauge (old style bubble gauges are not accureate enough to do it right) that would cost 3x as much as the shop will charge to align it in the first place.

Re'
Right....PLUS you'd really need a set of "turn plates"....

Quick Reply: How to do an alignment yourself?