Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NEED ADVICE with tie rod sway bar clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE with tie rod sway bar clearance

Hey guys, Im shortening my endlinks to stop my sway bar from hitting my APS inlet tube like everybody else had to do and i noticed when I was checking the clearances that i can get 2 fingers inbetween the drivers side tie rod and the sway bar, When i check the passanger side, i can only get one ! Is this offset like this on our cars? or did UMI mess up when welding the steering rack mounts on my K member and weld the passanger side steering rake mount higher on the passanger side???
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ed, everyone that i have ever seen has the same distance on both sides.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default pics

As you can see from the pics ,,I can almost get 2 fingers on the drivers side and almost 1 on the passanger side Did UMI weld my steering rack mounts in the wrong place or am i missing something else?
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...at/tie%20rods/
Old 02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is WAY WRONG, but can't tell completely, based on the pictures. Look at the angle of your pass. side tie rod, which is parallel to the ground, which it should be. Then look a the drivers side, which is going WAY UPHILL. Although I can't see it, because the pic doesn't go out that far, did you, by some chance, put the tie rod through the spindle from the top, on one side, and through the bottom, the correct way, on the other?

After looking at the pics some more, just for grins, did you try putting the links on the pass. side also, just to see where it shakes out?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Ed---

Dude, you are going to cause yourself a ton of problems here all because of that damned turbo pipe. Fix the pipe, don't band-aid the suspension 8 other ways.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ed---

Dude, you are going to cause yourself a ton of problems here all because of that damned turbo pipe. Fix the pipe, don't band-aid the suspension 8 other ways.
This is why i cant lower my sway bar Sam!!It looks like UMI welded my steering rack mount on croocked!!The drivers side is good with a 2 finger gap !Now look at the passanger side LOL I can barly get one finger between the tie rod and sway bar. Even in the center pic,,,Is it me or is the steering rack going up hill on the passanger side
Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Something is WAY WRONG, but can't tell completely, based on the pictures. Look at the angle of your pass. side tie rod, which is parallel to the ground, which it should be. Then look a the drivers side, which is going WAY UPHILL. Although I can't see it, because the pic doesn't go out that far, did you, by some chance, put the tie rod through the spindle from the top, on one side, and through the bottom, the correct way, on the other?

After looking at the pics some more, just for grins, did you try putting the links on the pass. side also, just to see where it shakes out?
Your actually correct by opposite LOL Its the drivers side thats good,, with the 2 finger gap and the passanger side is barely 1 finger gap.This steering rack is going up hill on the K member towards the passanger side thus making the passanger side tie rod to close to the sway bar
Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by barnat
Your actually correct by opposite LOL Its the drivers side thats good,, with the 2 finger gap and the passanger side is barely 1 finger gap.This steering rack is going up hill on the K member towards the passanger side thus making the passanger side tie rod to close to the sway bar

BUT, the tie rods are supposed to be parallel to the ground....which the passenger side is! Your drivers side tie rod is jacked up in some funky angle. That's not right, even though it clears the sway bar by a greater distance. As I said, somethin' funky is goin on there!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

BUT, the tie rods are supposed to be parallel to the ground....which the passenger side is! Your drivers side tie rod is jacked up in some funky angle. That's not right, even though it clears the sway bar by a greater distance. As I said, somethin' funky is goin on there!
Now! that said,, and me having a APS kit that requires lowering the sway bar and end links so the sway bar doesnt hit my inlet pipe ,,,do i lower the passanger side of this steering rack to match the drivers side, thus giving me more clearance like i do now on the drivers side ? or do i raise the drivers side thus taking away all my needed clearance ?LOL
Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill post new pics right now from passanger side to drivers side of the angle of each tie rod to help this out!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default pics

Heres more pics!I hope this helps

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/tire%20rod1/
Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I have to sign off for the evening, but let me say this...The sway bar connects to the front frame horns, which don't move. Unless the car has been hit, the two frame horns should be level and parallel to each other.

It's obvious that you've changed K-members, so by making that change, you've introduced a possibility for something to be mis-aligned. I've never done a K-member swap myself, so I'm not up to speed on how it goes, but I've seen discussion of alignment pins, bolt holes, etc. Are you POSITIVE the K-member is flush and square to the subframe of the car? Secondly, how did the sway bar line up before the K-member swap? If it fit OK, then the problem is somewhere in the K-member or how it's sitting in the car.

The sway bar itself...Has it been bent, somehow?

Again, going back to your original set of pictures, the left tie rod is going way uphill. If left that way, that completely screws your "bump steer", and probably the toe in, and overall steering as well. BOTH tie rods have to follow similar arcs in order for the car to steer correctly. And, they ideally, are parallel to the ground, at ride height.

Good Luck!

(I was writing this while you were taking the pics)
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

OK, I took a look at the pics...Compare the relationship of the "bellows" on both sides of the rack, to the lower control arm bolts (the pivot bolts are a "hard" point). The right side bellows is slightly above the bolt, and the drivers side is a bit below. It would appear that the rack is tipped "down", toward the drivers side.....

Gotta go, good luck........
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to sign off for the evening, but let me say this...The sway bar connects to the front frame horns, which don't move. Unless the car has been hit, the two frame horns should be level and parallel to each other.

It's obvious that you've changed K-members, so by making that change, you've introduced a possibility for something to be mis-aligned. I've never done a K-member swap myself, so I'm not up to speed on how it goes, but I've seen discussion of alignment pins, bolt holes, etc. Are you POSITIVE the K-member is flush and square to the subframe of the car? Secondly, how did the sway bar line up before the K-member swap? If it fit OK, then the problem is somewhere in the K-member or how it's sitting in the car.

The sway bar itself...Has it been bent, somehow?

Again, going back to your original set of pictures, the left tie rod is going way uphill. If left that way, that completely screws your "bump steer", and probably the toe in, and overall steering as well. BOTH tie rods have to follow similar arcs in order for the car to steer correctly. And, they ideally, are parallel to the ground, at ride height.

Good Luck!

(I was writing this while you were taking the pics)
Thanks guy!! for all the input! First, the car is cherry !!Its never,ever, been hit! Sway bar is perfect in every way too.Once i installed the UMI K member,and APS kit, i went and had it alighned and everthing was good to go untill i went to drop my swaybar endlinks down alittle so my sway bar would clear the APS discharge pipe. This is when i realized the rack was off,,, because (EVERONE) with a APS kit has to do this modd and no one has ever mentioned their sway bar touching or being this close to the tie .This is when i knew something was wrong and i started really looking at the rack and K member and took some pics! I was thinking the passenger side of the rack was off and leaning upwards because if i were to drop drivers side of the rack (AT ALL )!!,there'd be no way on earth i could even drop my end links even just alittle bit without the sway bar hitting the tie rods. Theres alot of APS guys that are running with 1'' spacers in their end links without any issues whats so ever with their tie rods.BMR also thinks the passanger side of the rack is too high also. I need some UMI K member photos from the front to really help us on this issue!

Last edited by barnat; 02-20-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

"barnat", did you, by any chance, look at the K-member "as installed" picture on UMI's site? I just did, and in their shot, the drivers side of the rack looks to be a bit lower than the passenger side. It's not as radical as your picture, but still sloping a bit. Again, use the rack's bellows and the lower control arm bolts as a reference.

Also, in their picture, you can see that the sway bar is closer to the tie rod on the right side of the car. Their picture is taken with the car on a lift, with the suspension at "full drop", so the bar and tie rod are at their closest point.

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE with tie rod sway bar clearance