Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why is this on my trq arm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is this on my trq arm?

Well it's been almost a year since I purchased my WS6. seams like every time I crawl under this thing I find something new. Most everything else i have either fixed or new why it was done. But this on has has me at a bit of a lose.

What is the reasoning to wrap safty wire/ bailing wire around this torque arm mount?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

mustang owner's around your neighborhood trying to add weight to your car,behind your back!!! seriously though who knows
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

I would take that crap off and replace your bushing. Might figure out why then
Old 02-21-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. I know I did something similar some years back on an el camino I had. I put a hose clamp on my trans mount bushing in order to give it more strength and have less deflection. I'm wondering if they were doing that for the same reason, to stiffen up the stock rubber
Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe someone previously had it apart, and didn't have 100%faith in their ability to get it back together properly.

I put a poly bushing in my torque arm bracket, however I did it so long ago, I can't remember if I had to drill out a couple of rivets or not. For some reason, I vaguely remember having to do that, maybe that's why the wire is on yours....
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Maybe someone previously had it apart, and didn't have 100%faith in their ability to get it back together properly.

I put a poly bushing in my torque arm bracket, however I did it so long ago, I can't remember if I had to drill out a couple of rivets or not. For some reason, I vaguely remember having to do that, maybe that's why the wire is on yours....
Yes because the stocker is 2 peice 2 rivets. Replacement is one peice no rivets. It took a 4 foot 5 friend with midget arms to help me get the nut back on the top housing. So... I flushed his coolant system for him. I tried for three days and only thing i go was a really scraped up arm. I had to squeeze it together while he threaded it. A longer bolt would have worked.....

EDIT.. i bet money the wire was holding it compressed while someone threaded the bolt.. DAMMIT
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Yes because the stocker is 2 piece 2 rivets. Replacement is one peice no rivets.

WOW!!! My memory isn't totally shot!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Joshiedoom;11099376] I tried for three days and only thing i go was a really scraped up arm. I had to squeeze it together while he threaded it. A longer bolt would have worked.....

Did mine by myself a few years back. Learned a lot of new curse words that weekend.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Wow! Maybe he had something tied up to that in the past or something. Who knows. But Im inda with Joshiedoom on his one. Maybe he tied it to hold the two brackets together while he threaded the top bolt.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Teching In

The rubber mount it's self seams to be pretty solid and probably the original unit. I had maybe thought some one might be trying to add a saftey precaution, just incase something decided to let loose at the mount.
I've never had one of these mounts apart but if there that much of a pain. I can surely understand using a method to clamp them togther to put it back together.
the torque arm is the only peice of the suspension that I have not replaced yet so it's time is near. I was just more curoius to see if this was some kind of drag racer mod or something.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you could just pull the driveshaft, unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the tailhousing on the trans, and unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the torque arm to the rear and pull it out as whole assembly. and that way you can work on the mount on a table.

seems more complicated then it really is. but easier then struggling with it under a car
Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
or you could just pull the driveshaft, unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the tailhousing on the trans, and unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the torque arm to the rear and pull it out as whole assembly. and that way you can work on the mount on a table.

seems more complicated then it really is. but easier then struggling with it under a car
I took my TA out when I replaced the bushing. The bushing was so new and didnt want to deflect. Im 6 4ish and 230 lbs and my big *** couldnt fiscally hold pressure on the 2 peice clamp enough to get the bolt started. Now looking back on it I should have just went and bought a longer bolt and tightened it shut. I beat on mine after the install then got back under it and tightened it again. No issues.