Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Trouble removing lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing lower ball joint

I'm trying to fix the clunk in my passenger front suspension. The shock mounts were all snug, the tie rod appears to be fine, and the upper ball joint doesn't have any play.

I am left with is the lower ball joint and the A-arm bushings. I assume that the spindle has to be separated from the lower ball joint tapered bolt on a press. I cant figure out how to get the A-arm off the car to do this, because the rear A-arm verticle bolt hits the K-member. Do I really have to drop the K-member to remove the A-arm?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the k-memeber does not need to be dropped in order to remove the a-arm. The whole a-arm itself, slides in towards the engine, thats how an alignment is done. Once the a-arm is pushed inward, the bolt itself slides out through the top. Just got to reach your hand in from above to remove the bolt. But beware, the veritcal bolt is known to seize inside the bushing. When I installed new a-arms, the bolt had to be cut out in order to remove the stock a-arm. Theres other ways of trying to remove it. Torch and an airhammer are other ways to go about it.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

You don't need to pull the a arm to get the spindle off the a arm. just use a pickle fork

dont remove the a arm to change out the ball joint. leave it on the car. makes it a lot easier when using the press.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

He wants to change his bushing as well. The a-arm needs to come off in order to do that.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekey
He wants to change his bushing as well. The a-arm needs to come off in order to do that.

Very true, but the car does a good job of holding the a-arm, while wrestling with the ball joint press. Trust me, I know from YEARS of experience!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to put the car back together last night, but I plan to try again. The rear bolt is not bound up in the bushing. It will move up about 1/2" before it hits part of the body. I can tell that the bottom bolt hole is slotted, and I assume that the top is as well. If I take the front A-arm bolt out all the way, maybe the A-arm will drop enough to change the angle on the rear bolt so it will slide out.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Right. I had trouble with that myself. I just put a socket on there and turned the bolt to move the a arm and when you move it to the extreme end of the slot then you can pull it out. As stated earlier by Greekey.

Plus, leadfoot4 is right. You have to crank on that ball joint like your minting new dollar coins. It is ridiculous.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That bolt has a tab on it. The tab fits into a hole to keep it from spinning when you tighten the nut.

I bet the tab is hitting the body. Spin the bolt so that the tab is pointing towards the motor.

Quick Reply: Trouble removing lower ball joint