Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Gettin ready to put my springs in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin ready to put my springs in...

Ok, Im gettin ready to go put some Strano springs and KYB AGX's at all four corners. I already expect for the front to be a challenge. With that in mind, I decided I wanna just go ahead and get all new components for the front spring/strut assembly. Ive already got the springs, the shocks are on order, and I gotta go pick up the strut mounts. My question is, are there any other small parts in the assembly that Ill need?

Also, Ive already got my setup. I uderstand there are better combos out there, but thats not what this thread is for, so please dont tell me I should have done this or that. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Launching!

You need the biscuit type things that go inbetween the top nut and the strut mount. Like this http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=17999212
and your smart for just getting all new stuff, was a pain having to saw the strut shafts to get the mounts off, lol
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest applying some marine grade grease to the top shock nut area so it will not rust. It may save you or someone else the same headache.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget your lower spring perch isolator. This sits on the lower perch that the spring sits on.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dilatedpeoples28
You need the biscuit type things that go inbetween the top nut and the strut mount. Like this http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=17999212
and your smart for just getting all new stuff, was a pain having to saw the strut shafts to get the mounts off, lol
Ahh, when I was checkin at autozone those came up, but I didnt know what the hell they were lol. Thanks for the link, added to the list.

Originally Posted by Giddswat
I would suggest applying some marine grade grease to the top shock nut area so it will not rust. It may save you or someone else the same headache.
Thought about that, thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by Greekey
Dont forget your lower spring perch isolator. This sits on the lower perch that the spring sits on.
So it goes around the strut, and sits between the strut and the bottom of the spring right?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct. The bottom of the spring rests on it.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any idea about how much those bad boys cost?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Any idea about how much those bad boys cost?
Less then 20 from GM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Resident

If you wanted to save some cash you could just do what I did and have somebody cut the nuts off of the top of the shocks with a cutoff wheel. I took mine to Les Schwab (its a tire/brake/alignment shop) and they did it for free in about 5 minutes. As apposed to the hours I spent trying on my own Oh yeah, for the record, there's nothing wrong with KYBs.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-10-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
If you wanted to save some cash you could just do what I did and have somebody cut the nuts off of the top of the shocks with a cutoff wheel. I took mine to Les Schwab (its a tire/brake/alignment shop) and they did it for free in about 5 minutes. As apposed to the hours I spent trying on my own Oh yeah, for the record, there's nothing wrong with KYBs.
Ya I was thinkin about cuttin em apart myself, but I figure I may as well just freshen everything up while Im there. The cars got 120,000 on it, so it couldnt hurt anyways lol.