Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E-brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E-brake

I just moved and now have to park on a hill(actually the driveway is just really steep). I leave it in gear(second) and pull the e-brake as far as it will go. My concern is that in flying, it even says on the checklist not to leave the parking brake on. This is for two reasons: 1: atmospheric conditions are aways changing, so the pressure may be so great that it will crack you rotor(crack something, not sure if it's the rotor), or 2: the pressure will decrease and the brake won't work anyway. Do I have to worry about this, it's not my daily driver so it does experience large changes over several days, tia
Old 10-18-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: E-brake

SSpilot, You are correct about aircraft. But, most aircraft brakes I'm familiar with are hydraulic, these are cable operated. I always set my brake (in every car I've owned) and have never had a problem. The F-bodies have an internal drum parking brake, it no longer uses the caliper. It is a dedicated system, designed just for the purpose of being an E-brake. Don't be afraid to use it. It will be just fine. Also, I usually suggest leaving the car in first or reverse, they are usually the 2 lowest gears which makes it harder to move the car because the motor will need to turn quickly, even at low speed.

Hope that helps.

Kevin
Old 10-18-2003, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kevin, thanks for the help, I just wanted to make sure it would be fine. Your right on the aircraft brakes, every plane I've flown had hydraulic brakes. Do you work on aircrafts/or fly at all? I know there are a couple of other guys on here that fly, work for ATC, or are a/c mechanis. Thanks again SEAN
Old 10-20-2003, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

hey my ebrake sometime doesn't work. can you please tell me why? and mine is automatic. thanx for the help guys.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, thanks for the help, I just wanted to make sure it would be fine. Your right on the aircraft brakes, every plane I've flown had hydraulic brakes. Do you work on aircrafts/or fly at all? I know there are a couple of other guys on here that fly, work for ATC, or are a/c mechanis. Thanks again SEAN
I was a civilian avionics technician for several years and have worked on everything from kit planes to 727s (lots of cessnas and a few lears, saber 65's, anything piper and many others). The last place I worked was refurbishing U-21's (non pressureized King Air C-90's, ex-military stuff). I started on my pilots license and haven't completed it (my instructor was an idiot). I'll get it done one of these days.

Glad to help.