Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

problems mounting torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems mounting torque arm

maybe i'm doing this *** backwards but i dont see how i could mess this up. i just recieved my umi tunnel mount torque arm. i'm mounting it on a stock 10bolt in a 98 trans am. cant get the bracket on the rearend. seems like its hiting the yolk on my rearend and cant get it in place.. someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong
Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

jack up the pumpkin if you havent. if you didnt, the rear end will be twisted forward and you wont be able to get the tq arm on
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Teching In

i did that, i've got it where the torque arm itself will work. can't get the bracket to line up with the holes on the rearend... and another question.. do you use the top or bottom whole on stock height vehicle? i suck with suspension.. thanks for your advice
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

The torque arm should clear just fine with the factory rear end. You need to use the first set of holes, the ones closest to the edge. If the bracket is snug on the rear end you may need to clean the rust and debris from the housing to get a good surface to move it around.

Let me know how it works. Thanks!

Ryan
Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

It might help if you disconnect the driveshaft. I recently swapped rearends and had a little trouble getting the UMI torque arm back on (full length adjustable, not that it matters). I didn't have the shocks, springs or driveshaft attached, just the LCAs. That let the whole rearend pivot a lot easier, and I was able to use a jack to get the height close, then I was able to push the yoke up, rotating the angle correct. Then I slid the torque arm on from the side. A couple light taps with a rubber mallet got it close.

I then took a long flathead screwdriver, put it in the hole of the torque arm, through the hole on the rearend, down through the bottom hole on the torque arm. By levering that screwdriver, I was able to get the holes lined up really close, to a point where I could get the bolt through (after removing the screwdriver, of course). Again, I had to tap the bolt in with a rubber mallet, until it got far enough in to get lined up. Once the threads poked out the bottom hole, I started the nut on it, to pull it through. Once one bolt was through, the other slid in pretty easily.

Hope that helps.

-Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Teching In

thanks man.. just got it all mounted up then dropped a cap off my my u-joint so havent got to try it yet..
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Teching In

i have the car on jackstands so i cant set the angle exactly right yet.. but there two holes where it mounts to tunnel brace.. which do i use? my car is stock height? i'm on the lower one now but dont know how it will do when i put it on the pavement
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just figure out which hole gets you closest to your desired pinion angle and adjust accordingly

Last edited by jermzz; 03-13-2009 at 02:31 PM.