Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR brake brackets w/ F-body calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR brake brackets w/ F-body calipers

I just received in the mail a set of BMR C5 upgrade brake brackets. I got them because they're chrome-moly and cheaper than the other brackets I looked at. However I did not realize that to install them you have to cut one of the mounting brackets off of the spindle, unlike the LG brackets (I think).

I was planning on reusing my stock calipers (car is a 2000) since it was my understanding that they are completely interchangeable with the C5 calipers (which basically are pressure cast as their only pertinent difference). Is this plan going to work? I wanted to make absolutely sure these parts will all fit together right before I start taking a saw to my car.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

best bet would be to call bmr and ask them.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that is an option... but I would have thought someone would have done this by now. If the C5 and f-body calipers are interchangeable, I see no reason why this can't be done...

Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

no they are not interchangable. the C5 calipers are bigger. thats why they take bigger pads to go with their bigger rotors, which is the entire reason of doing the swap in the first place. if, for some reason, you insist on using LS1 calipers, then its possible to use C5 rotors, C5 abutment brackets, and LS1 calipers. but why anyone would want to do a rotor swap and not caliper i dont know.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssrunner

Anyone else have an opinion?
You're wasting your time in the name of the almighty dollar.

The F Body calipers are **** period.
They deflect and put more pressure on the outer diameter of the rotor on the wheel side, this overheats it and warps it.

Get C5 calipers or send the parts back for a refund.

JMHO---you asked for it.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so if the f-body calipers aren't interchangeable, then what about the LG brackets allows you to use them with the C5-sized rotor? Is it still a less-ideal solution than using the C5 calipers for the same reasons?

And what additional parts will I need then, just C5 Z06 calipers and pads?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

its still less then ideal. if youre doing that, you might as well do the entire conversion and use C5 calipers and pads. youll need the bracket, calipers, abutment brackets, pads and rotors.

FYI, C5 Z06 calipers are just red. no differance.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

cheaper and just as effective move, which i did and love
baer eradispeed rotors, stock calipers, hawk pads!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
its still less then ideal. if youre doing that, you might as well do the entire conversion and use C5 calipers and pads. youll need the bracket, calipers, abutment brackets, pads and rotors.

FYI, C5 Z06 calipers are just red. no differance.
So I can use the guide pins, boots, and banjo bolts from my old calipers?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a bit of misinformation here. The C5 calipers, because they were designed to be run with a larger rotor, have smaller diameter pistons. The F-body calipers have larger pistons (which is better for front brake bias), and are interchangeable pad and rotor wise, with the bracket you bought. For racing, the Vette calipers are better because they are pressure cast rather than gravity cast, but for the street, the stock calipers can be used in your application just fine.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Theres a bit of misinformation here. The C5 calipers, because they were designed to be run with a larger rotor, have smaller diameter pistons. The F-body calipers have larger pistons (which is better for front brake bias), and are interchangeable pad and rotor wise, with the bracket you bought. For racing, the Vette calipers are better because they are pressure cast rather than gravity cast, but for the street, the stock calipers can be used in your application just fine.
That was what I had thought... but I'm going to start Auto-Xing this summer since my suspension setup is basically done, so I might as well do it right the first time now... already ordered Z06 calipers/abutment brackets.

But like I asked before, I should be able to use the old guide pins/boots and banjo bolts, right?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssrunner
That was what I had thought... but I'm going to start Auto-Xing this summer since my suspension setup is basically done, so I might as well do it right the first time now... already ordered Z06 calipers/abutment brackets.

But like I asked before, I should be able to use the old guide pins/boots and banjo bolts, right?
Why? Why would you buy all that new stuff and skip out on the inexpensive parts?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

"Inexpensive" is like $40 when you're dealing with gmpartsdirect. Though I haven't looked at the prices at other places yet.

Quick Reply: BMR brake brackets w/ F-body calipers