Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard Bar adjustment

I just ordered a Spohn panhard bar,double adj.. Do you adjust it in the air or on the ground?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rear end position will change once it sits on the ground (shifts to the left IIRC) so it is relatively easy to first see which way the rear needs to go while it is on the ground, then lift it up and make the adjustment more easily since there is no weight on the suspension, then put it back down and see how close you got it and go from there. Hope that makes sense and helps out.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used jack stands to lift up the back end of the car and used a jack to jack up the rear axle so that it was loaded and then adjusted, its not very hard to adjust with the rear wheels loaded. To help with the alignment, I used a tip I found from somewhere, tie a socket to a piece of string/fishing line and have it hang down each fender past the center of the wheels. Then just measure the distance between the string and the wheel until they match.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I used jack stands to lift up the back end of the car and used a jack to jack up the rear axle so that it was loaded and then adjusted, its not very hard to adjust with the rear wheels loaded. To help with the alignment, I used a tip I found from somewhere, tie a socket to a piece of string/fishing line and have it hang down each fender past the center of the wheels. Then just measure the distance between the string and the wheel until they match.
Sounds like a good tip!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
Exactly how i do it but i use ramps...way faster.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by musclehead
exactly how i do it but i use ramps...way faster.

bingo!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Those are great tips,thanks.. I have 3 mechanics and hoists..

Quick Reply: Panhard Bar adjustment