Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

swaying problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm...

For handling purposes I have heard that replacing the LCA's isn't really necessary unless you're doing full track use, and if that's the case then rod-ended LCA's would be the way to go but I don't remember why...Rod ended LCA's cause much more road noise so most folks don't go for them.

That and yeah, if you got sticky tires and if it's real cold and your tires aren't heated up properly then you'll experience sliding as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00 SiLvEr SS
i swaped em alreadh for a new set of monroes

Well, monroes does not equate to a great handling shock. Monroes are basically an OEM replacement to the POS deCarbons, and really, they're not a good handling shock either.

Factory-wise, the 4th-gen is a pretty good handler, not a GREAT handler. You basically replaced your factory shocks with another rendition of a factory shock.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but im not really a big corner person i just want to stop my car from swaying real bad
Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to check the sway bar mounts, and bushings.
Also some tires are really bad at following groves in the road, and usually wider tires are worse.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

yeah but im not really a big corner person i just want to stop my car from swaying real bad
Swaybars do just that, but I don't know if that's the way you want to go...

The reason why I'm saying that is how your working on your engine mods, looks to me you want a 1/4 miler BEAST, so having a rather large rear swaybar will definitely help with launching but will cause your rear end to be real squirrely(read LOOSE!) if you're going to hit the turns aggressively.

With handling on f-bodies, it's either/or...you either set up your suspension for the 1/4 or set it up for the twisties, if you want to compromise then that's exactly what you get, an f-body with a compromised suspension setup.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Monroes will wear out too and be as bad if not worse than the stock shocks. Don't focus so much on the "im not a corner carver" thing, but more on controlling your suspension the way you want it to. In my opinion Koni's make the best option for daily driving as well as corner carving.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spaulsen
i have:

stock shocks
stock springs
weld in frame connectors
136,000 miles
my wheels and tires are michelan pilots on c6 wheels
my lca's and panhard are umi with rod end and poly bushing
the cornering im talking about is on like an off ramp or a ramp that merges 2 highways together. i know it isnt too sharp of a corner to be going fast on cause my work van does it with ease at the same mph lol. so its not that im taking the turn too fast, like the other poster said it feals like im hitting a patch of ice here and there. i had a 85 iroc that i could take the curve in at 90-100 mph with no problems but at 65-70 with my 98 it does this. thanks for helping guys, shawn

p.s..... it isnt body roll. its something else......... to me it almost seems like the panhard isnt there!
Hey bud, I'm sorry I didn't think about this earlier, but you got 136K miles on factory shocks I BET you have factory bushings that need to be replaced as well. The worn bushings cause sloppiness in the suspension, that ain't good either.

It's a thought.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

all the bushings have been replaced. the only thing that is old back there are the shocks but man i just cant see how the shocks would cause the car to sway. if the car had wheel hop while cornering then i could justify the shocks being the problem but it doesnt wheel hop, just sways back and forth. i sent a pm to sam strano hoping he would confirm the shock answer but he must be busy.......
Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

would teh sway bar bushings on my car be shot after 70 k mi
Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spaulsen
all the bushings have been replaced. the only thing that is old back there are the shocks but man i just cant see how the shocks would cause the car to sway. if the car had wheel hop while cornering then i could justify the shocks being the problem but it doesnt wheel hop, just sways back and forth. i sent a pm to sam strano hoping he would confirm the shock answer but he must be busy.......
Have you ever ridden in an older like '60's or 70's Caddy or up to an early model Buick LeSabre?

Their suspension was designed to be nice and soft, to give the driver/passenger a nice floaty feel, so any uneven roads will be absorbed by the suspension. They had soft springs and shocks with longer travel and softer rebound, you know, to get the suspension to absorb all that bumpiness from the roads.

Now, picture pushing one of those cars in a corner and you would feel like the car is going to lose control, like it's floating all over the place, pretty scary if you're pushing it real hard.

Even if you put fat sticky tires on the above Caddy/Buick, in a fast turn, the rear end will get very light cuz the suspension(read shocks) is not firm enough to push the tires back on the road quickly, which causes the rear tires to lose grip momentarily and at the same time the rear end will continue to lighten and again the same results.

This will make you "feel" like the body is swaying, which in actuality your body is getting too light causing the body to shift...your whole rear end is shifting because your tires are not gripping the road because there is too much play with the suspension.

I tried to explain this as basic as possible, hopefully I was able to explain this so it could be understood.

I would suggest to CALL Sam Strano as opposed to PM'ing him, get his number from his website.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

I thiiink factory rubber bushings will last about 100K miles.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea sam just pm me back and said the shocks are trash. ill start there! thanks guys....
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Banned

hmm ill retry the front shocks
Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

I just changed the sway bar bushings at 77k and links in front and back today. my swaying problem is 90% gone. I didn't think things through when I lowered the car and put drag shocks on the rear...oops, so i'll change those out with some new ones and some LCA relocator brackets. Then all will be well in Camaroland.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe the wheel bearings are worn out? My 95 T-Bird did that when they went out but it was more like I was turning the wheel back and forth at highway speeds.

Nobody has answered the other question. I have Stranos and Konis and I still have the swaying problem. The endlinks aren't broken and everything is tight. If he gets better shocks he will most likely still have the problem because I do. My problem is I can barely take a corner with LIGHT acceleration without the car sliding sideways. My rears are on full soft maybe I should try almost full hard? I don't want him to spend alot of money on shocks if he just wants the swaying to go away. Maybe it's a hub or bearing on the wheel....?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea im still not convinced its the shocks!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Big sticky tires will pull the car more through ruts. 19's make things worse due to the lack of sidewall. But I can't fathom how anyone can think 136k mile shocks aren't a problem.

Shocks damp the body motions, you seem to have a big problem with body motions. FWIW.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Sam this Ryanmgaspard guy also has poly/poly LCA's, I recall that poly/poly LCA's are not good for handling but I forgot why, can you shed light on this?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually had a rod/rod phb and it I guess it didn't do it as bad but the noise sounded like a the rear end was rattling loose. I can't compare my old phb because I live in a different area and just started noticing it. Maybe the tires make a difference for me but trying not to hijack the thread. I really think he should check the bearings.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Hey Sam this Ryanmgaspard guy also has poly/poly LCA's, I recall that poly/poly LCA's are not good for handling but I forgot why, can you shed light on this?
Well it's because the axle is bolted to the car via the LCA's. When you have boxed or tubular (i.e. not flexible arms), and connections like stiff poly bushings that do not want to flex, the axle is bound up to a degree. The axle cannot pivot freely in rotation, so when you drop say your right rear tire into a rut, instead of the axle pivoting the body is drug down too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: swaying problem