Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

possible problems from eibach pro kit springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible problems from eibach pro kit springs

I just had the eibach pro kit installed on my 02 ss and have had nothing but problems since. the front is sitting higher than the rear, the ride is terrible(every bump felt hard). I also have clearance issues in the rear on 17x11inch wheels and 315/35/17 nittos. my front wheels are 17x9.5 with 275/40/17 nittos but seems to be no problems there. the car makes nothing but noise now. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. just starting to build my car.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the springs out and get some from Sam Strano.. I had to roll my lip when my car was lowered and I was only running 295's.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 02silversurfer
I just had the eibach pro kit installed on my 02 ss and have had nothing but problems since. the front is sitting higher than the rear, the ride is terrible(every bump felt hard). I also have clearance issues in the rear on 17x11inch wheels and 315/35/17 nittos. my front wheels are 17x9.5 with 275/40/17 nittos but seems to be no problems there. the car makes nothing but noise now. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. just starting to build my car.
Not trying to sound condescending but you should have searched before you bought the springs.
Eibach springs for our cars are known for rear spring sag, and the front being higher than the rear is the common stance they give.
Lowering on stock shocks will give you a crappy ride no matter how good the springs are. The stock shocks cannot damper the stock springs let alone lower and stiffer ones. If you want better ride quality you need shocks that can damp the springs (not autozone over the counter shocks), something like KYBs or Konis.
When you lower the car the rear end is "pushed" towards the drivers side because stock these cars have a fixed length panhard bar, this can sometimes cause rubbing issues with tires. If you want the rear to be centered you need to buy an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

JD, you werent condescending, you were right. thanks for the info. do i need coil over shocks? i see you have strano springs, are those best for our cars? how much is the drop? what other suspension components do you recommend?thanks again...
Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot spaz, im going to look into it. what is the drop on these sam strano springs?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strano springs + Koni SA shocks are the best street setup for our cars that I have driven. Great spring rates and good damping with the konis = a great improvement. Sam's Bars make it that much better and drop is 1.25" with his springs.

They only negative is it encourages you to test the limits every time you go around a familiar curve
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot bro, im going to look into strano parts. what are SA shocks?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks a lot bro, im going to look into strano parts. what are SA shocks?
Koni Single Adjustable shocks. Easily the single best mod you can do to these cars, dramatic increase in handling, balance, feel and a better ride to go along with it.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Teching In

those shocks are good with strano springs? what adjustable panhard bar do you recommend? is umi good? thanks again for your help!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

those shocks are good with strano springs? what adjustable panhard bar do you recommend? is umi good? thanks again for your help!
Yep, the konis are great with the strano springs IMO. But if you are looking for the best ride quality you can get, stock springs + good shocks are the answer.
As for the adj. panhard bar I don't think any company makes a "bad" one, UMI will work fine. You may want to call up Sam (his # listed on his website) and talk to him about the advantages/disadvantages of the rod and poly ended PHB's. But in a nutshell a poly ended PHB will make the least noise (no noise) but won't be as "stiff" as a rod ended one. But the rod ened ones can be noisy and may need to be greased every so often. Just depends on what you are looking for.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Teching In

I need the PHB to even out the rear end. I put the stock springs back on and everything is back to normal. All except the spacing between the rear tires and sway bars. Drivers side has space but I cant get my finger tips in on the passenger side. Will the PHB correct that? How much did the Koni cost you? The Strano site has them for about $840 total. Crazy expensive! Thanks again...
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need the PHB to even out the rear end. I put the stock springs back on and everything is back to normal. All except the spacing between the rear tires and sway bars. Drivers side has space but I cant get my finger tips in on the passenger side. Will the PHB correct that? How much did the Koni cost you? The Strano site has them for about $840 total. Crazy expensive! Thanks again...
an adjustable phb will let you center the rear under the car which should even up the spacing unless something else is out of whack. as far as the Koni's they are pretty pricey but the come highly recommended. strano would be my choice if your gonna buy shocks either way
Old 04-11-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

... do i need coil over shocks?
Basically, no.

For most street cars, I can give more valid reasons not to use "coil-over" shocks (or rather adjustible spring perches) than I could give reasons for using them. In fact, many of those who I've encounter bragging about getting them, then install them, only realise later that they can introduce some real PIA issues.

Even though there are only a few decent "direct-replacement" springs for the 4th-Gen F-body, they are designed well enough for both looks and performance.

In short, JD AMG is advice is spot on. Good springs and good shocks will resolve much of your issues in the meantime.

Quick Reply: possible problems from eibach pro kit springs