Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will subframe connectors help with traction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Will subframe connectors help with traction?

Will they help me plant my rear tires better to get me outta the hole?
Upped my shot today to a 125 and traction is non- existant.
Car was actually quicker from zero to 60 on the 75 shot just because the tires didn't spin.
What do you think?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what everyone generally says

Subframe connectors tie your rear end of the car to your front end of the car reducing shakes and rattles, improving handling and turning.

What you need to catch traction are LCA relocation brackets... and LCA's... They make the angle of your LCA more directed towards the ground forcing more traction with weight. They come like that on most of the 9" or Dana's that people buy. I'd be careful if it' your stock 10bolt, however since yours is an automatic (**edit** they're not stronger, rather the transmission doesnt cause as much destruction as an M6 does** ty for the correction) i wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited by Relapse; 04-10-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

It will be a help as hp will go to the rear instead of twisting body.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magic Man
It will be a help as hp will go to the rear instead of twisting body.
probably right as well, i'd get SFC first, then LCA relocation if you're not catching still.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Relapse
from what everyone generally says

Subframe connectors tie your rear end of the car to your front end of the car reducing shakes and rattles, improving handling and turning.

What you need to catch traction are LCA relocation brackets... and LCA's... They make the angle of your LCA more directed towards the ground forcing more traction with weight. They come like that on most of the 9" or Dana's that people buy. I'd be careful if it' your stock 10bolt, however since yours is an automatic (i've heard the automatic 10bolt is stronger) i wouldnt worry about it.
The auto 10 bolt isn't stronger the auto trany doesn't hit the rear end with all the power at once like you can in a manual. Your right on the lca's for traction, and sub frames to keep the body from twisting.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

(i've heard the automatic 10bolt is stronger) hahahaha that made me laugh out loud
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

looking back at what i said, that was pretty ridiculous, i guess a 10 bolt is a 10 bolt. I meant to say they don't break as much, i just assumed they were stronger like an idiot.

But at least i dont have a gold camaro... tool.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just installed SFCs, adj. LCAs and tomorrow I am having relocation brackets welded on. My best 60' time is 2.088.....I am hoping that I can pull a 1.9x with the changes I have made. My only other mods are a lid and a LM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello, my suggestion would be our weld in 2 point boxed frame connectors. The reinforce the front lower control arm mounting point and tie the subframes together. Your car will be more consistant and like the others have stated adding a set of relocation brackets also will help with weight transfer by allowing you to move your instant center rearward. We offer two types of brackets. The bolt in version for your stock rear or the weld ons for an aftermarket rearend. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Will subframe connectors help with traction?-sfc.gif   Will subframe connectors help with traction?-cab2-thumb.gif   Will subframe connectors help with traction?-cab001-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

looking back at what i said, that was pretty ridiculous.......
yes.. yes it was
i just ***umed they were stronger like an idiot.
enough said
Old 04-10-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

dannyz, sfcs are a great upgrade, IMHO. But they are really not designed for traction, rather to make the vehicle one piece versus several as they are built. Tubular versus boxed are a dice roll. My tubular are just dandy, but they are welded. It really made the car feel one piece, versus the two piece car they sell us.
If your goal is to plant for a 1/4 mile run, you should probably look into LCAs, relocation brackets, and/or a new torque arm.
You can use the LCA relocation brackets to change the downward forces during the 1/4 runs, then change them back for "normal" street driving.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Subframe connectors won't help handling, and probably won't help a drag race car unless it's making decent power and hooking really well. The 4th gen fbody is actually pretty rigid. I think people have twisted it a bit under hardcore drag racing. I don't think they can hurt. They make awesome jack points. Unless I was driving in F-stock scca, I would probably typically get a set of sfc's for any fbody just for the jack points.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

check my sig..this set-up works.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Subframe connectors won't help handling
I slightly disagree with you on that, although handling isn't really the focus of this thread. However, from both a handling and drag racing stand-point, I think they're a good thing to do to the car, although I will agree that they're not the end all, be all of "suspension" mods ..... but I still think they're a wise addition to just about ANY F-body .

If you're looking to improve your drag race launch, skip the SFC's and go with LCA's/brackets (if you're doing ONE or THE OTHER). If you want to go all out, do both, although realistically, the improvement will come primarily from the LCA's.

From a handling perspective though, when the car acts like a big "spring", it doesn't do any favours for the suspension. The springs and shocks are supposed to take the bumps, and control the ride ... the chassis isn't supposed to be part of that "moving" suspension .

From the drag racing perspective, it is true that some of the energy will be wasted twisting the frame. However, the OP's problem here is TRACTION. Putting even more power to the ground isn't going to help improve that, now is it????

They do, however, provide a GREAT jacking point from the side of the car, as stated!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Here a Suggestion!

Hello
Sub frame connectors and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets would be a great improvement when it comes to traction and handling! The sub frame connectors will keep the chassis nice and tight and eliminate body roll and like the others mentioned help at the strip with fender dimples..And the Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets will allow you to adjust the lower control arm more parallel to the surface and allow you to plant the tires and keeping the power where it should be to the ground! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks Again
Brad

Quick Reply: Will subframe connectors help with traction?