Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Redesigns Lowering Springs for 4th Gen F-Body (SP001)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had several people ask me about what I feel shipping charges should run for the complete set. From my past experience the complete front and rear spring set will ship most anywhere in the US for less than $30.00 On a side note we also only charge the UPS stated shipping charges no handling fees
Old 04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess all this "copy" talk stems from this excerpt from Sam's thread:

'It has come to my attention that another performance supplier, I'll call them "Company B" has decided to try and copy my springs. I guess they know a good idea when they see it. Of note, while Company B's new springs are much more like mine than ever before, they are still not the same. What's worse, a few months ago Company B was on their soapbox about how their previous springs were the cat's ***... What changed? "

-Sam Strano

I still don't know who's side I am taking though and would like to know why he considers BMR to have stolen his design plans. To me, it jus' seems like BMR has redesigned their current spring to adapt to the growing requests of a spring that lowers their car farther than 1 inch. They did, - to 1.25". Don't see the fault in that. I guess maybe Sam jus' feels threatened that "B Company" has a product similar to his. I understand him, but to go public and share his frustration seems a lil' childish.

I am a little upset with the LS1tech community in a way. People are coming to this thread throwing the word "copy" to bash BMR. Upon seeing this, others are lashing out against members like Black98ls1 calling him a douche and other names but have yet to hear people call Sam a douche. Aren't they both saying the same thing? If you look at Sam's thread, he says the same exact things and the people replying in his thread aren't as outraged as they are here. It seems to me that people are kissing asses when they post in a certain Sponsor's thread. I am upset with that. Sam is to be criticized just as much as Black98ls1 has. There is nothing more American than expressing your concerns - good or bad.

Now, the statement made by BMR has me wondering though.

'The BMR spring has an id of 2.56" on the lowest coil. The other brand has a smaller id (2.43"), so the spring doesn't fit well on the spring perch on the GM rear axle housing. The GM spring perch is 2.5".'

-BMR

This jus' shows me that they are meticulously comparing their spring with Sam's. I'm guessing they own a set of Strano's and measured everything about it. To know the diameter of the lowest coil down to the 0.01" of an inch seems a lil' strange. I am not accusing them of anything, jus' arrising concern.

Good luck to BOTH companies!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The "copy" word is being thrown around a lot. Maybe people should be using the word "similar" instead. And there are several spring designs that are "similar" to the BMR design. However, most of those spring/suspension companies are not complaining.

And yes, BMR owns a set of springs from most of our competitors. It's part of the competitive analysis process. Most automotive companies do it. When I worked for GM, we completely disassembled a Ford Taurus (every nut and bolt) so that we could get ideas to simplify our assembly process (for a Chevy Beretta).

BMR also tests the springs from other manufacturers, so we can tell you which springs really contain VANADIUM and which manufacturers don't know their own product.

By the way, BMR was the FIRST company to offer a spring rate of 550 pounds per inch for the front spring. We have used that rate ever since.

BMR prefers to use products and components that are Made in the USA. We still believe that the best products are manufactured here. In the past, we used a German spring manufacturer, but we had to switch because of poor quality reasons. I am not saying that all German spring companies are bad, but we have learned our lesson.

Maybe I should have used 2-9/16" instead of 2.56" and 2-7/16" instead of 2.43". Engineers make the "significant digit" mistake a lot. I didn't mean to imply that I measure any spring to 0.01".

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

I think everybody needs to just drop the who copied who subject and just enjoy the fact that an improved product arose! btw some pics of them installed on a Trans Am would be great!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jwill_20
I think everybody needs to just drop the who copied who subject and just enjoy the fact that an improved product arose! btw some pics of them installed on a Trans Am would be great!

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+2
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwill_20
x2... I've a new set of BMR's redesigned springs on the way. As soon as they're here, I'll get them installed. Will be using Koni (4/4) and LCA relocation brackets BTW.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

has anyone just put the rear springs on? I have a west wing front spoiler and I don't really want the front much lower
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

All this talk about how the spring is so "similar" to another set of springs out there, but really there is no talk about how they perform, not even from the company itself. I mean did BMR just go out and say we're going to make these springs to look this way, with these dimensions, and to these specs, but we're not going to provide pictures or data to demonstrate that our springs do what they're intended to do? I mean some kind of testing was done, right?

By the way, I don't own a set of either company's springs nor have I purchased either company's products.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

for a minute there i thought i was reading a Nitrous thread...lol. **** gets slinged around in there like there's copywrite infringments going on and ****.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
However, BMR springs are $25 less expensive.
Actually, that is untrue, and a bit misleading. The "other" springs that yours are being compared to, INCLUDE SHIPPING in their price, so when you ADD SHIPPING to yours, they are equally priced.

I haven't read of anyone asking, but why were the "old" design springs very recently on sale for $179, and these "new" design springs not at least offered at an "introductory price" that is in fact lower than the competition's, or at least somewhere near the price of the last versions? JMO, but that would have surely spiced things up dramatically for you, as far as sales go.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Actually, that is untrue, and a bit misleading. The "other" springs that yours are being compared to, INCLUDE SHIPPING in their price, so when you ADD SHIPPING to yours, they are equally priced.

I haven't read of anyone asking, but why were the "old" design springs very recently on sale for $179, and these "new" design springs not at least offered at an "introductory price" that is in fact lower than the competition's, or at least somewhere near the price of the last versions? JMO, but that would have surely spiced things up dramatically for you, as far as sales go.
Actually, the BMR springs DO cost $25 less. Most of our distributors offer free shipping. Here is a list of our distributors:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/distributors.htm

More importantly, BMR springs are IN STOCK and we offer SAME DAY SHIPPING if the order is placed by 3pm Eastern time.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Gotcha. I was going by your website.

In stock is always a plus. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

so if i was going to run these springs, how bad would it affect launch at the track? i will have LCA relocation brackets as well. would it be a harsher ride that stock or better? could i run stock shocks for a while or are they too tall for the spring?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redemn93
so if i was going to run these springs, how bad would it affect launch at the track? i will have LCA relocation brackets as well. would it be a harsher ride that stock or better? could i run stock shocks for a while or are they too tall for the spring?

Jason, your launch at the track will not be effected. The ride is going to be a little stiffer than the stock springs because the rate on the factory springs is around 115 lbs and our is 160 lbs. You can run the stock shocks although they are not your best choice. When you can replace your shocks with a set suited for your type of driving. If you have any questions please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy Eibach or AFCO or Hypercoil springs for ~$190 a set retail all day long and I get to chose my own ride height and my own spring rate to fit my own application.

Springs are not rocket science and one size does not fit all.

Now, if you are too lazy to learn and need to be spoon fed, well that's a different story.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

its hilarious how many people get too much into lowering springs? lol..
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man...does the internet bring out the ******* in people or what?!

For all of the cynics: Without looking it up on Google, Do you remember the first company that came out with nitrogen charged shocks? What about run-flat tires? Flappy paddle gearbox? Hybrid cars? How about the assembly line? Your precious Camaro wouldn't be parked in the driveway if GM hadn't copied that. Maybe you think StarBucks invented coffee?

The growth of the internet has somehow managed to eliminate the filter between peoples brain (or lack thereof) and their mouth. Grow up!

BMR...sorry for getting on my soapbox...nice job at running a business and offering items that people are looking for at a competitive price. At least a lot of people are reading this thread!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS

For all of the cynics: Without looking it up on Google, Do you remember the first company that came out with nitrogen charged shocks? What about run-flat tires? Flappy paddle gearbox? Hybrid cars? How about the assembly line? Your precious Camaro wouldn't be parked in the driveway if GM hadn't copied that. Maybe you think StarBucks invented coffee?

The growth of the internet has somehow managed to eliminate the filter between peoples brain (or lack thereof) and their mouth. Grow up!

BMR...sorry for getting on my soapbox...nice job at running a business and offering items that people are looking for at a competitive price. At least a lot of people are reading this thread!
Agreed 100%. So many people are scared of competition. It called capitialism, and it is shown here at its finest. If there is only one person making a 1.25 lowering spring than the barriers to entry are low and it makes it a good investment for a company to profit and be successful.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS

Thanks for your support.

BMR will continue to develop new products for all 5 generations of F-Bodies. We will also continue to improve and modify our existing products. Sometimes we will modify our existing product to improve for technical reasons and sometimes for marketing reasons. Either way, the F-Body community will have better products (and less expensive) to choose from.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Quick Reply: BMR Redesigns Lowering Springs for 4th Gen F-Body (SP001)