Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

TRW out tie rod ends.... any good??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRW out tie rod ends.... any good??

getting my outer tie rod ends replaced this weekend and i need to know which ones to get.... don't have any stores around my area that have the Moog brand... advance auto has TRW... anybody know if they are ok?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

They should be okay...I've actually compared a lot of "TRW" branded stuff with the "moog" brands and they have identical part numbers on the parts themselves.

Basically, Moog Chassis parts are resold through different brands as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
They should be okay...I've actually compared a lot of "TRW" branded stuff with the "moog" brands and they have identical part numbers on the parts themselves.

Basically, Moog Chassis parts are resold through different brands as well.
Ive gone through two sets of TRW outer ends on my truck. Both lasted less than a year. The replacement I got just a month ago had "made in China" stamped on it. I took it back and got a Moog replacement. BTW, none of the TRW parts I ever got had grease fittings in them, other than lower ball joints.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive replaced one set of moog upper ball joints (a-arm assm) and one outer tie rod end on my buddys 02 harley davidson f150 after 7 months of use, and he only puts maybe 300 miles a month on it. but there are some shitty roads here.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
Ive gone through two sets of TRW outer ends on my truck. Both lasted less than a year. The replacement I got just a month ago had "made in China" stamped on it. I took it back and got a Moog replacement. BTW, none of the TRW parts I ever got had grease fittings in them, other than lower ball joints.
Thank you for this imformation.

Now from about three to four years ago, I did have "TRW" branded outer tie rod ends which indeed had zerk fittings and did have the exact same stampings as some of the Moog Chassis ones, but this must no longer be the case or somehow there must have been some sort of "short production/pilot run." Regardless of the what's in the past, I will no longer recommend the TRW outer tie rod ends and only recommend "Moogs Chassis parts" branded ones.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Having worked in the autoparts business for 8 years the TRWs are a fine replacement part.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Launching!

TRW.. well depends on where it's made. I have a friend who is a mechanic. Used to use TRW all the time. I bought some parts for my T/A ( upper shock mount that goes in the upper A arm) and they said Made in USA on the box.... and looked to be perfect quality. He pulled a bunch of boxes out of the back that said "made in china"

So apparently all TRW are not created equal.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather call XRF, but you'd have to have them shipped out. I got XRF tie rod ends for my truck and they are awesome. I assume they have them for our cars, but I am not 100% positive. http://www.xrfautoparts.com/
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for normal use, they should be fine. outers are short and wouldn't make me think twice about them being trw or such.
my car was in a hard curbing-accident or such before i bought it and the stock inner tie rod was still intact even though it was bent. i was very impressed that it held up and i was still able to drive the car fine.

that being said, i'm using aftermarket OE Brand tie rods(inner and outer) which should be the same as trw. they've worked fine. just hoping that i don't have to subject them to a hard bend to find out if they hold up or not.

Quick Reply: TRW out tie rod ends.... any good??