Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

YAKSAQ: Yet Another Koni Shocks Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm sure... The shocks are made in Holland.
I went to Advance and the clerk checked the size for me, brought back a 7/16" nut which I thought was strange, koni being european and all. I tried this and was not able to torque down to spec.

For the record, the correct nut is M10-1.50 coarse thread, which a 18mm socket or combo wrench will fit. Do not use a standard 7/16" nut, which will trash your threads if you attempt to torque it down, believe me, I know. Fortunately I was able to fix the threads on the shaft.

Lesson learned, always check for yourself.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 04-25-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

M10x1.5mm.. Noted.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With my install I ended up using the stock nut....because of Koni's nylon locking nut was a pain to get on. The stock nut threaded on perfectly. But then before I put the shocks back on I decided to put the Koni nut on as well just incase the stock nut decided to come loose. I should have gone to the store and purchased a new nut and lock washers but I was just too lazy to stop the install and go to the store.

Just incase anyone is wondering, my stock nuts were in great condition. The drivers side looked like it was just put on yesterday and passenger side was a little worse off but was still in good shape. It pays not driving the car in the rain or snow I wouldn't count on this for a daily driver
Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I went to Advance and the clerk checked the size for me, brought back a 7/16" nut which I thought was strange, koni being european and all. I tried this and was not able to torque down to spec.

For the record, the correct nut is M10-1.50 coarse thread, which a 15mm socket or combo wrench will fit. Do not use a standard 7/16" nut, which will trash your threads if you attempt to torque it down, believe me, I know. Fortunately I was able to fix the threads on the shaft.

Lesson learned, always check for yourself.
Yea same here when I installed my rear ones I went to autozone, napa, oreillys and advance and none had a fitting nut so i went to a firestone store and asked one of the guys at the shop if he had some bolts and he looked through the ones that they remove from other cars and gave me 2.

im not sure if koni's dont come with the bolts or not but mine didnt have any and my stockers wouldnt fit
Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

These guys are talking about the fronts, have you done your fronts yet Bobbyd? Sorry, I can't recall.

Koni's come with the hardware needed, or should. And if not a call to Koni will get it for you. I just swap the nut that holds the shock mount on the front shock because it's easier, not because it's not right.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
These guys are talking about the fronts, have you done your fronts yet Bobbyd? Sorry, I can't recall.

Koni's come with the hardware needed, or should. And if not a call to Koni will get it for you. I just swap the nut that holds the shock mount on the front shock because it's easier, not because it's not right.
ahh i though they were talking about fronts and backs.

not yet Sam it is in the "to do" list still

though so I just didnt bother and went looking for a nut since i was anxious to do put them on the car hehe.

it did come with everything else though

Quick Reply: YAKSAQ: Yet Another Koni Shocks Adjustment Question