ABS Delete (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS Delete (pic)

Here's how I deleted my ABS for a weight savings of 8 pounds:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/absdel.jpg

The two fittings required are high pressure stainless steel.

Email me if you would like to have part numbers, supplier and pricing of these fittings. larry98@ev1.net

Now how do I get the ABS INOP light off?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Very nice. Do you just cut the flares off and put the couplers on? Do you rip out all the wiring also? Any noticable differance while driving?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only concern involves 2 words....

Proportioning Valve......
Old 10-27-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TB ... no ABS would be scarey, even with stock brakes.

And all for 8lbs ...

Try this instead ...

It's safer on the hiway!
Old 10-27-2003, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good! I want to tie mine into my line lock. How hard was flaring the lines? Also, could you share some info on what lines go into what?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mitch....

Remember....

"Salad=Speed"
Old 10-28-2003, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
. . . . .

And all for 8lbs ...

Try this instead ...

It's safer on the hiway!

ROTFLMAO!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

No flaring required. These are high pressure compression fittings that work on the tubing. You will need a tubing cutting then slip the tube into the fitting and tighten. Easy as that. I did not have to by any extra tubing. All tubing is factory. I could probably do a little better plumbing job knowing what I know now on lengths, etc. for looks but function is fine.

The ABS wiring is still on the car. I could reinstall by ABS very easily if I decide. I would have to get more tubing to reinstall it.

I can tell no difference in braking. Works just like with the ABS. I have stopped hard but not hard enough to lock the tires. As far as I can tell it works just like the breaking systems on cars before ABS was created.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Larry
No flaring required. These are high pressure compression fittings that work on the tubing. You will need a tubing cutting then slip the tube into the fitting and tighten. Easy as that. I did not have to by any extra tubing. All tubing is factory. I could probably do a little better plumbing job knowing what I know now on lengths, etc. for looks but function is fine.

The ABS wiring is still on the car. I could reinstall by ABS very easily if I decide. I would have to get more tubing to reinstall it.

I can tell no difference in braking. Works just like with the ABS. I have stopped hard but not hard enough to lock the tires. As far as I can tell it works just like the breaking systems on cars before ABS was created.

Non-ABS vehicles used a proportioning valve to regulate pressure between the front and rear brakes. The ABS module handled that function on the new cars. If you ever use the brakes "real hard", I suspect the rear will lock up first. This could cause you to complete the 1/4 mile by sliding backwards past the turn off lane. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it could be a very real possibility. Be careful and let us know what you find out.

No flaring required. These are high pressure compression fittings that work on the tubing. You will need a tubing cutting then slip the tube into the fitting and tighten. Easy as that.
I'm not sure who manufacturers those fittings, but compression fittings are generally regarded as a huge "no-no" on brake lines. Here is some information on brake system designs using braided line from Russell Performance (http://www.russellperformance.com/te...rake_lines.htm). You'll notice that there are no compression fittings on that page anywhere. The things that look like compression "T" fittings are actually standard AN flare fittings. Over time, repeated application of pressure (stopping the car during driving) they can be pushed out of the fitting. I'd hate to see you have an accident or worse because of trying to save 8 lbs and using the "wrong" fittings to do it. I guess I'm paranoid about safety and don't want to see anyone get hurt.

My thoughts....

Last edited by trackbird; 10-28-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trackbird
Non-ABS vehicles used a proportioning valve to regulate pressure between the front and rear brakes. The ABS module handled that function on the new cars. If you ever use the brakes "real hard", I suspect the rear will lock up first. This could cause you to complete the 1/4 mile by sliding backwards past the turn off lane. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it could be a very real possibility. Be careful and let us know what you find out.

My thoughts....
That may be true, there are quite a few guys who have been running without ABS and no proportioning valve for a long time on the street and track with no ill effects. You just have to drive smart.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by quickWS6
That may be true, there are quite a few guys who have been running without ABS and no proportioning valve for a long time on the street and track with no ill effects. You just have to drive smart.
Hmmm....I guess I drive smart enough to not need seatbelts, helmets, and other safety gear. I'm starting to wonder why they invented all that stuff anyway......I guess "stuff still happens".

However, I understand the thought of "driving smart", I guess I just don't believe in luck that much.

My thoughts.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving smart doesn't preclude you from "panic" situations. You never know when a dumbass is gonna do something dumb.

Drive smart ... be smart
Old 10-28-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

So, basically, you guys would never drive any type of classic car? No airbags, no ABS, manual drum brakes a lot of times, only lap belts......
Old 10-29-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by quickWS6
So, basically, you guys would never drive any type of classic car? No airbags, no ABS, manual drum brakes a lot of times, only lap belts......
That's not what we said (speaking for Mitch and I). Our feelings are that we would not modify a cars performance in such a way that it needs to be "driven smart" because we've bypassed or incorrectly changed important systems. Like I said, every car ever made used a proportioning valve in the brake system (I can't think of any that didn't. I'm sure there is an obscure case....but our cars had one in the ABS because it was "needed".) and the ABS did that job. Since you (not "you", but in this case) removed the ABS and didn't install a proportioning valve, you have made changes to the car (for 8 lbs???) that could cause it to become "extra difficult" to control during a panic situation, and therefore more dangerous. I'd drive an old car, the engineers worked long and hard to make sure that vehicle handled and stopped properly (I'm not sure that the "non-abs" car in question can do the same....).

My simple point is....

GM pays engineers alot of money to keep us out of trouble. I am guessing that nobody on this post is a hydraulic/brake system engineer. However, if someone wants to show me the math regarding the changes to brake bias with no ABS (and the electronic brake force distribution module in the abs) and prove that it "works", I'm interested.....

My thoughts...

"It is dangerous to muck about with things you don't fully understand"
Old 10-29-2003, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

I lost my ABS when I switched to a 9", so went ahead and pulled out the block under the hood also. This was on a LT1, but without a proportioning valve the braking bias was *Definitely* off. I picked up a stainless steel brake crop valve (I think they are a sponsor here also) and attached that inline. You just need to do some hard breaking in a wide open area to determine the proper bias. Without one the rears will definitely lock up first under hard breaking.

I did double flares on all the lines - and a good quality flaring kit is a must. Autozone, orielly, event he craftsman one were all crap (for brake lines at least). I ended up using a matco kit and it worked well.

Also if you need teflon tape for anything make sure you use the yellow gas line rated stuff - the normal tape will just dissolve (the ptfe doesn't, but the backing material does)

Re: no abs - even in panic situations, as long as the road is dry, etc. it isn't a big deal at all. Now if it's pouring outside and you are driving fast it could be an issue - but you just have to be more carefull than normal.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

I am not recommending that anyone remove their ABS. I am only showing a way for those who wish to save 8 pounds. ABS is a safer braking system than without. Particularly on wet or slick streets. My car is pretty much a track only car so I never drive in rain unless it starts while I'm at the track. Even then I'm more concerned about my ET Streets than my brakes.

The fittings I am recommending are Swagelok industrial type stainless steel fittings of highest quality. They are double ferruled to prevent tube slippage or leakage. I will however, check them often to be sure they are in good shape and no problems exist.

As far as a panic stop without ABS, the poor quality rod ends supplied with my PA K member is probably more of a problem. Not a very good design where the front two rod ends attach to the K member in my opinion.

Eight pounds is not a lot to some but to others it is a lot. Depends on whether you like seeing tail lights or win lights.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Larry,

I understand why you would want to remove it (I once cut the reflector off of a 3rd brake light for a track car...ounces, ounces, ounces). I wasn't taking issue with you directly. Even for track only, I had some safety concerns regarding brake bias. However, I suspect that you could add an adjustable proportioning valve to balance the brakes properly (easily tested by making hard stops in a safe place) and then you would have a car with brakes that are balanced properly.

This is a forum to exchange ideas. I appreciate the effort you have expended to go fast. I just wanted to clarify some of the possible issues with that change before everyone starts ripping parts off of their street cars with little regard for the potential impact of those changes. My goal is to keep everyone alive to race another day (and I don't want them sliding into me on the highway...).

Let us know how it works out.

Kevin

Sorry, I didn't see Chris's post before typing up the above post. I prefer his method to the compression fittings and his use of a proportiniong valve.....have fun!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

trackbirdl,

The addition of a proportioning valve is an excellent idea. I may add one after I have done more testing. Right now I can stop pretty hard without one. As fast as I really want to test with this PA K member.

If GM has the front and rear brakes designed right, stopping will be fairly close to the same with both even without a proportioning valve. I am sure one set will lock first as some have already mentioned and that will limit untimate stopping capability. Hopefully I won't ever need maximum stopping capability.

As far skidding during braking, a proportioning valve won't stop that. ABS is the only thing that will stop that.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have not had ABS working in my car for almost four years and the brake bias is fine.

I have been to 165mph and back a few times.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

trackbird,

If GM has the front and rear brakes designed right, stopping will be fairly close to the same with both even without a proportioning valve. I am sure one set will lock first as some have already mentioned and that will limit untimate stopping capability. Hopefully I won't ever need maximum stopping capability.

As far skidding during braking, a proportioning valve won't stop that. ABS is the only thing that will stop that.
Actually, they design the brakes to be "close" and tune it with a proportioning valve. Usually this is done to limit rear braking, since the weight transfer to the front will unload those tires and limit grip. That is the job of the proportioning valve, to limit rear brake pressure to help account for the weight shift. At low pressure, the rear and front will get nearly equal braking, at high pressure, the rear will have the line pressure reduced signifigantly. So, the thought of the engineers getting them close is mostly correct, it is the result of the dynamics of the vehicle that a proportioning valve is there to correct. Think of hard braking as a "reverse launch", the rear wheels are now nearly off the ground and therefore, nearly usless to stop with (so we limit pressure). A proportioning valve is not linear it actually does very little limiting at first and as pressure increases, it begins to limit pressure proportionally to the amount of pressure that is there.

As for skidding, I understand that only ABS will stop that. My concern was what happens under heavy braking (end of a 130mph blast in the 1/4???). The rear will be likley to lock up due to the weight transfer mentioned above, long before the front brakes are at the limit of their braking ability. So, you either lock the rear end and slide it out or you ease up and use much more distance to stop. That was the sliding I was speaking of.

I think everyone is on the same page now.....

PSJ, how does your stop during a "truck pulls out in front of me at 100+" type panic stop? The post from the LT1 owner said he had rear lock up, how does your LS1 car do?

Quick Reply: ABS Delete (pic)