Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway bars... Hotchkis, Strano, Spohn, BMR, other?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
curious where exactly in "upstate ny" you're from?

was born and raised just outside syracuse
PM'd
Old 04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered Spohn swaybars from http://speed-eng.com/ they are a good site they work with u on price like price matching i got my sway bars 300 like your talking about ordered them fri got them on tues. Im happy with my choice i think you should look into spohn and try speed eng out for the site u order them from.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Animal323
I just ordered Spohn swaybars from http://speed-eng.com/ they are a good site they work with u on price like price matching i got my sway bars 300 like your talking about ordered them fri got them on tues. Im happy with my choice i think you should look into spohn and try speed eng out for the site u order them from.
That's exactly where I was looking too actually.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure why you would go with the smaller Spohn bars.
I would either go with Strano bars if you are willing to spend $400+ or
the ST front 35mm bar with the stock 19mm rear bar or
try to find a cheap used 21mm bar
or buy an aftermarket 21-22 rear.
I guess you could even get the front 36.5mm Hotchkis bar if you find a GREAT deal on them because they are pretty pricey.

And I have only owned the ST and stock front bars but would definitely recommend it to a person on a budget. I was able to get the front 35mm, rear 21mm bars, all poly bushings and endlinks (ST bar comes with them) plus black paint for about $200.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flymybird
Yeah I couldn't care less about going in a straight line... Give me corners! I will go out of my way to find the route that has curves even if it's a little longer than the straight path. I luuuuv curves
I must say, you didn't quite choose the best platform if you're huge into cornering.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daez
I must say, you didn't quite choose the best platform if you're huge into cornering.
Some of us like both lots of torque AND cornering. Unfortunately, you can't find a car that does both well and can be a DD for cheap, so we make compromises.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well yes and no. I mean it wont ever handle like a miata ( I used to own one) but with the complete strano package (Koni 4/4, front/rear sway's, and springs) my car handled like it was on rails. You can make these things handle as good as you can afford to spend.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Well I'm working towards a Z06... and that will be my next sports car purchase... But that's many years away I suspect...

But I've been convinced that I can come pretty darn close to making my f-body handle like one of those puppies with a little investment... And, I do love my Formula. I wouldn't trade it for anything out there that I could find for the same price that I paid. I'm already amazed by the improvement that the Koni shocks made, literally amazed. So I am pretty happy already.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flymybird
...But I've been convinced that I can come pretty darn close to making my f-body handle like one of those puppies with a little investment...
You sure can, and I sure have done it several times on an "AX" course. Still will not completely match the thing, but if you're trying to use the most effective mods, then you'd best stick to something similar to what Strano uses, if not exactly what he recommends.

Personally, I had a hard time moving away from a 35mm OD front bar. That's surely one of the weaknesses from the factory (except those that already had the 35mm SLP from some factory packages).

AFA many of the other packages, they're combinations that haven't worked to well for me and several others who AXed for several years.

AFA Sam's bars, my car had his previous versions manufactured by Addco suspension, and they were pretty good. Now I noticed that he's gone with Hellwig, which I find even better quality for a very similar design. Notably, they're both USA companies who manufacture their products in the same country.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Strano / Addco bars with stock springs, Koni SAs and 275 width tires. I like this combination. It is my daily driver and the ride quality is decent enough, too.

YMMV.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use the strano hollow sway bars.That's what I have on my t/a.You get what you pay for.Strano is good people to deal with.It's you car and your the one that has to be happy with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Amused by the overwhelming lack of actual rational and supporting statements made in this thread. Notice what hard data and explantions you get are from my customers? There is a reason for that, because we discuss such things.

You want to shop on price? Well, that's not my bars. Just like Koni's aren't Tokico's.....

Don't for a minute think that someone's 32mm bar is nearly as stiff as a 35mm bar. It's not. Think about the fact the size of one effects what you want for the other (or should anyway). I do not ever recommend 32/21 or 22 combinations on any car that isn't using an odd spring setup because the rear bar is too stiff relative to the front. If we use a 32mm front, then I generally stick with a 19mm rear for balance, and my bars @ 35/22 are balanced very much the same way.

I also developed my bars by using them to actually turn corners and winning events in doing so. For all the lip service you get elsewhere most of the others can't say anything similar, but quite literally my stuff has a proven track record.

I can do bars for less money, including 32mm front, 22mm rears if that's what you really want. But I find most folks want a quality part that works as it's supposed to and that can be justified in both reasoning and real world performance. Lots of folks buy the hollow bars who aren't racing because they like the fact they can save something like 20 pounds vs. Spohn and BMR's solid bars, let alone they also get more front roll stiffnes at the same time. Hotchkis bars are beautifully made, but the rear bar is too big vs. the front IMHO. If it wasn't I'd have not reason to have built mine... But Hotchkis won't split fronts and rears, I can do it for a better price to the customer, and size them EXACTLY how I wanted them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Amused by the overwhelming lack of actual rational and supporting statements made in this thread. Notice what hard data and explantions you get are from my customers? There is a reason for that, because we discuss such things.

You want to shop on price? Well, that's not my bars. Just like Koni's aren't Tokico's.....

Don't for a minute think that someone's 32mm bar is nearly as stiff as a 35mm bar. It's not. Think about the fact the size of one effects what you want for the other (or should anyway). I do not ever recommend 32/21 or 22 combinations on any car that isn't using an odd spring setup because the rear bar is too stiff relative to the front. If we use a 32mm front, then I generally stick with a 19mm rear for balance, and my bars @ 35/22 are balanced very much the same way.

I also developed my bars by using them to actually turn corners and winning events in doing so. For all the lip service you get elsewhere most of the others can't say anything similar, but quite literally my stuff has a proven track record.

I can do bars for less money, including 32mm front, 22mm rears if that's what you really want. But I find most folks want a quality part that works as it's supposed to and that can be justified in both reasoning and real world performance. Lots of folks buy the hollow bars who aren't racing because they like the fact they can save something like 20 pounds vs. Spohn and BMR's solid bars, let alone they also get more front roll stiffnes at the same time. Hotchkis bars are beautifully made, but the rear bar is too big vs. the front IMHO. If it wasn't I'd have not reason to have built mine... But Hotchkis won't split fronts and rears, I can do it for a better price to the customer, and size them EXACTLY how I wanted them.
Btw, congrats on your win over the weekend!

Yeah, I decided to make the plunge, I was just waiting for you to come back to give you a call and place the order.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm waiting on a batch of bars now.... If you want to just order a set off the website that's cool. Like what I do with springs, there is no charge for the bars until they arrive and are ready to ship.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Sam,

I never been on a car with the Hotchkis bars, I dont know if you have, but if you have, can you tell me how it feels around corners ?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I actually just have the Hotchkis front, I bought it off a guy who was tired of it and was setting up for drag. Local sale got it for $75..........

I went autox'ing this weekend and my setup did fine. Since it's my first time out, I didn't have the driving skills to push it to the limit. The car was predictable and stable, I felt very comfortable and in control, body roll is very minimal.

I'm running almost dead bf goodrich g force tires....not the best and certainly not in excellent condition.

I'm going to gain more seat time before I change anything, but when the changes come, tires will probably be the first thing.

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 05-06-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Sam,

I never been on a car with the Hotchkis bars, I dont know if you have, but if you have, can you tell me how it feels around corners ?
I have not, either, but what people (including Sam) generally say is that if your rear bar is too stiff in comparison to your front bar, then your traction will suffer and your car will be tail happy. I don't know about you, but I got bored of a tail happy car long ago.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I sell Hotchkis, if I thought they were the best handling, not only would I recommend them, but I'd personally use them on my car. I don't. And it's not the front bar, it's good, but IMO the rear bar is far too large.

What's more is you can get one of my fronts now with an adjustable rear (instead of the non-adjustable hollow) still for less than the Hotchkis set.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam, just wondering, but why did you choose to go with the 35 instead of a 36 (like hotchkis) or even bigger, like 37?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A number of reasons. Not the least of which is 35mm stuff is more commonly available, costs less, bushings are more readily found for them as well. And there is a point of diminishing returns, you can't just go bigger forever, you can get too big....

How did I settle on those sizes? Simply put--testing various things and that made for the best balance on the greatest number of cars.

Quick Reply: Sway bars... Hotchkis, Strano, Spohn, BMR, other?