Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: which rotors should i use?
C5 rotors with stock calipers
40.00%
stock LS1 rotors with stock calipers
60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

poll! should i use C5 rotors on stock calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default poll! should i use C5 rotors on stock calipers??

hey guys my brakes are wearing down and soon i am going to replace the brake pads, and this time i guess its time to replace the rotors too. i was looking into the c5 rotors because the pricing is similar and they are directional rotors. would it be ok to use the c5 rotors with the stock LS1 calipers? will there be too much clamping power going to the front? im trying to avoid going with the vette calipers. also since my dad can help me out with the machining of a caliper bracket, i wanted to get some measurements of current brackets on the market to get an idea of what to make. thanks again guys and let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

lol nobody?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

why are you trying to avoid the vette calipers, not that it matters? Using the F-body calipers with corvette rotors should shift the bias further towards the front brakes, given the fbody calipers use larger diameter cylinders.

What brackets are you using to move the pab out, and are you going to use vette pads, or fbody pads?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fbody calipers are the weak point. They have a tendency to spread, causing pad taper and a reduced contact patch. Doing the FULL C5 conversion, not only do you get a stronger caliper, but you get a larger pad, and gain an inch in rotor diameter...an inch might not sound like much, but it's a huge difference.

At the very least I would run C5 calipers on fbody rotors...but I'm doing the full conversion. Just waiting to get some stainless lines.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

well the reason i am trying to avoid the vette calipers is, i dont want to spend to much money on some regular 2 piston calipers. i know the gravity casted stock f body calipers flex, but they still do the work. i had future plans on installing my own brembo 4 piston calipers from an evo on to a f body spindle. i was going to use the z51 rotor, to make it fit under 17 inch wheels. i dont want to spend money on some calipers that are pretty identical to mine. i know there is people who have done the conversion with stock calipers, i just want there point of veiw to see if they had problems or noticed a much different brake bias. thanks for the opinions tho
Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ae13291
well the reason i am trying to avoid the vette calipers is, i dont want to spend to much money on some regular 2 piston calipers. i know the gravity casted stock f body calipers flex, but they still do the work. i had future plans on installing my own brembo 4 piston calipers from an evo on to a f body spindle. i was going to use the z51 rotor, to make it fit under 17 inch wheels. i dont want to spend money on some calipers that are pretty identical to mine. i know there is people who have done the conversion with stock calipers, i just want there point of veiw to see if they had problems or noticed a much different brake bias. thanks for the opinions tho
here you go my friend https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...uired-2-a.html
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

if you run C5 rotors on stock LS1 calipers the brake bias will be thrown off
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
if you run C5 rotors on stock LS1 calipers the brake bias will be thrown off
Agreed. The C5 caliper has SMALLER pistons to accomodate the larger rotor. Where the LS1 caliper has LARGER pistons on a smaller rotor. Brake bias will be upset.