Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed LCA relocation brackets, not centered

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
They are a little tricky! Sometimes you have to loosen everything up on the rear end. And make sure that you don't get the rear end into a bind and make sure all the holes line up especially the factory location seeing that is how you get the main setting. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and either Jerry or I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-01-2009, 07:18 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the CORRECT full procedures would be nice.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:23 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

also, do the washers go on the bolt head side or nut side. washers for both sides would have been nice.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
since there seems to be large discrepencies in the correct install procedures, maybe UMI should post the CORRECT procedures right here so all of us can be sure we are doing it correctly. I have loud clunks after installing mine.

The instructions included with the brackets are the correct procedure. A clunk would usually signify a loose bolt or bolt tighten but not enough. We have techincal support available every day from 8-430pm EST if you would like to speak with them or e-mail Jerry at jerry@umiperformance.com and he may be able to help but he prefers the phone.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

your picures show washers on the bolt heads and on the nuts, but the kit doesn't include that many washers. Suggestions?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by pjb
your picures show washers on the bolt heads and on the nuts, but the kit doesn't include that many washers. Suggestions?
For the lower 12mm bolts we only include washers to do the nut side of the bolt. The installation pictures all depend on whether the installer wanted to add the extra washers... the installation pictures are also 3-4 years old. If you want to add the extra washers it won't be a negative or positive effect.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

just for correctness - there are only washers for one side included for the upper bolts also. washers for both sides seems like the proper way of doing it, like in your pictures.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

my bolt-in UMI relocation brackets fit fine and seem to really have helped regain the traction loss I had on my lowered car without them. I'm very happy. the on car adjustable panhard bar is very nice also. I got the one with a rod end to the axle and a poly end to the chassis.

Last edited by pjb; 06-01-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've found that whenever I have a challenge with some aftermarket parts it's always a good idea to give the manufacture a call. 99 times out of a 100 they are more than willing to help a guy out who's patent and polite. I've called UMI a couple of times for help with the PHR and they were really good on the phone. PBJ, if you are still having a challenge, give them a call I'm sure they'll help you out as well as they helped me.

MLS
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I did talk to them, and they were very helpful.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the same problem with a set of weld in brackets that I recently had welded in by a local shop. My rear is approximately 3/4" off center towards the back of the car. I'm thinking about giving them a call and asking them to grind the welds off and redo the job correctly. Will this cause any problems with the integrity of the brackets?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the bolt-on UMI version with no issues.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
I'm having the same problem with a set of weld in brackets that I recently had welded in by a local shop. My rear is approximately 3/4" off center towards the back of the car. I'm thinking about giving them a call and asking them to grind the welds off and redo the job correctly. Will this cause any problems with the integrity of the brackets?
They could have installed them incorrect if they are the weld in brackets. If they did a good weld with good penetration the brackets aren't going to come off in good shape. I recommend getting a set of adjustable control arms to recenter the rear end... that would be the easiest way.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Hello , I just recently installed a set of UMI Bolt on brackets with ADJ LCAs & yes it is a tight fit but it helps if you have both sides loose with a hammer & big wrench to wedge the LCA into place . BTW car handles much better now with allot less wheelspin , it does ride a little harder ( oh well ) I did not need to ADJ the control arms both were stock length .
Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

I had same issue with my umi lca's brackets, I have prokit springs and non adj lca's. My rear set perfect before the install but after the brackets my rear was way to far back, actually almost cut a tire when I hit a big bump and the tire hit the rear fender lip.

Instead of getting adj lca's, I just poked and extra set of holes in the brackets. Brought the rear closer to centered. I think it will work just fine.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Instead of getting adj lca's, I just poked and extra set of holes in the brackets. Brought the rear closer to centered. I think it will work just fine.
Hmm, I'm midway in buying some relo brackets, and after reading this thread was a little dubious about getting some. But I need them (!) and I'm sure there must be lots of people who are happy with theirs, and knowing I could add extra holes if needed is reasuring. Thanks for sharing blakern........
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Well im not saying that this is the right thing to do, its just what I did. Im planning on getting a moser 12 bolt soon and these brackets wont fit, so i just poked some holes in them.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the pics

I was a little concerned about how close to the other holes the new holes might need to be, guess I'll find out if I have this problem, as I've just bought some........
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blakern
Well im not saying that this is the right thing to do, its just what I did. Im planning on getting a moser 12 bolt soon and these brackets wont fit, so i just poked some holes in them.

I would be worried about the integrity of the brackets after drilling more holes in them.

my UMI bolt ins worked fine with stock LCAs.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I was going to get a set of these. I am a little hesitant now. This is the first I have heard of any problems.

Quick Reply: Installed LCA relocation brackets, not centered