Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Problem

I replaced the front rotors and pads this weekend and the car now stops fine, but has other issues. The rotors were almost frozen on the hubs and required the jaws of life to remove...a really BFH and propane torch. Not sure if that could have messed up the tierods or wheel bearing???

The steering wheel now shakes while driving at all speeds above 30mph, not when braking, just driving. The front wheels were also hard to spin after I reassembled everything, but I didn't think too much of it. Now when driving I can feel this causing a drag, like something is slightly holding the car back. The car isn't making any noises either.

I'm going to take a look at things tonight but wanted some opinions on what I could have messed up. The car has 99K on it BTW.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I would say start from the beginning & take eveything apart make sure ur hub turns free & put everything back on & don't over tighten things. I had mine apart last night and ut eveything back on & sput the hub & holy **** something feirce was grinding so guess what.. yep everything came apart & turns out come dirt fell into the caliper when I set it on the A arm
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll take it all back apart tonight and see if the hubs spin freely by themselves. If they don't, then I assume it's safe to say they are shot and need to be replaced? That would be an unexpected $300 down the drain
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 01formula6
I replaced the front rotors and pads this weekend and the car now stops fine, but has other issues. The rotors were almost frozen on the hubs and required the jaws of life to remove...a really BFH and propane torch. Not sure if that could have messed up the tierods or wheel bearing???

The steering wheel now shakes while driving at all speeds above 30mph, not when braking, just driving. The front wheels were also hard to spin after I reassembled everything, but I didn't think too much of it. Now when driving I can feel this causing a drag, like something is slightly holding the car back. The car isn't making any noises either.

I'm going to take a look at things tonight but wanted some opinions on what I could have messed up. The car has 99K on it BTW.
Sounds like frozen calipers, pistons may be cocked or slide pins are bone dry. Front wheels should spin freely. Could be bad hub bearings, but i doubt it..
Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the verdict is in. Frozen calipers on both sides. 1 of 2 pins on each caliper is literally fused inside the caliper bracket and cannot be removed. Now I just need to find where to buy a front caliper bracket, as it seems everyone only sells a rear...unless they are the same?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Well the verdict is in. Frozen calipers on both sides. 1 of 2 pins on each caliper is literally fused inside the caliper bracket and cannot be removed. Now I just need to find where to buy a front caliper bracket, as it seems everyone only sells a rear...unless they are the same?
They're not the same no. I just tried, napa, gmpartsdirect, and rockauto and they all don't carry the front bracket. Odd. If you can some how pull the pins out the replacement part #'s. Any of the below

RAYBESTOS Part # H5074
ACDELCO Part # 18K1039
WAGNER Part # H5081

I do have my old fbody caliper brackets off an 02, if you want them pm me. The boots are old, and need replacement, and then pins obviously need grease. Otherwise they're in perfect order.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 05-05-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very least, you need to replace your wheel bearing grease if you got it super hot. (Some heat is normal during driving anyway, though)

You can't clamp vice grips on the pins as tight as possible then hit the vice grips with a hammer?

Or if it's just rust, take everything off together and throw it in a bucket of Evaporust for a full day or two. New pins will be necessary at the very least.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
They're not the same no. I just tried, napa, gmpartsdirect, and rockauto and they all don't carry the front bracket. Odd. If you can some how pull the pins out the replacement part #'s. Any of the below

RAYBESTOS Part # H5074
ACDELCO Part # 18K1039
WAGNER Part # H5081

I do have my old fbody caliper brackets off an 02, if you want them pm me. The boots are old, and need replacement, and then pins obviously need grease. Otherwise they're in perfect order.

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to give it a second go at pulling the pins out this afternoon. If that doesn't work then I'll be contacting you about those brackets.

Dragonrage- I didn't get the hubs very hot while removing the rotor, tried to keep the torch away from them. Vice grips and a hammer is actually the first thing I tried on the brackets If heating them doesn't work then I'll try soaking them like you said.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI the brackets forms a bearing surface for the pins to ride on. It's the same principle as a crank journal bearings. Your best bet is to replace them vs. trying to rework them because you will either have a binding issue or too much clearance between the pin and bracket. Either way will cause odd pad wear and a potential safety issue. Don't go cheep with safety critical parts. Buy a replacement. I had to do this early on and I bought mine thru my neighborhood chevy dealer.

Quick Reply: Steering Problem